British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-21, 03:36 PM

Default Thoughts on Strats badge

Hi all, I picked this Strats badge up from a dealer recently, I believe it’s a good CEF era badge but I’m not an expert on these and am looking for a second opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5388EA7-E289-40BD-9DE9-6B2B4E22365A.jpg (79.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 3A14159E-612F-4A23-853B-A9CCEBFC07B7.jpg (85.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-02-21, 07:58 PM

I believe this is the SWW pattern, and looks correct.

Mike
Old 10-02-21, 08:05 PM
MarkGD

Agree with Mike - Regards Mark
Old 11-02-21, 03:06 PM

Mark and Mike:
Thank you for your insight into this being a SWW badge. I was wondering what characteristics of the badge place it into that era. If the motto around the badge "Lord Strathconas Horse Royal Canadians" is a ribbon, then the ends of the ribbon are high at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions. The ends of that ribbon point down and end with a "swallow tailed" notch. In post WW1 badges I see that the notches on the ribbon come off at about a 45 degree angle and the notches attach to the corners of the shield. It has been my belief that if the notches point downward, then it is an early badge (assuming it is not recent issue). The problem is that I do not know when this changeover occurred.

I have heard other theories of the presence of the beaver, the position of the beaver the condition of the tree. Some say that as the beaver "advances" on the tree it is a later badge. More theories that I cannot verify. Would appreciate any thoughts that you folks could share to help shed some light on this series of badges.
Thank you
Don

Last edited by cefguy; 12-02-21 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 10:37 PM

Hopefully RECCEboy will answer this thread, he is the authority on LDSH badges.

My rule of thumb has been no beaver, its early CEF, and if the "LORD" is missing its even earlier.

Mike
Old 13-02-21, 07:50 PM

Mike:
Thanks for the points. Another question is about the line at the top of the shield. In the early (CEF or earlier) the flat line at the top of the shield does not extend beyond the edges of the shield. In later badges it extends beyond the edges of the shield to make a pointed overhang. I think this changed back in modern issue badges but again I do not know what era these changes took place. As always it would take a few years to cycle through existing supply to get all of the badges changed over. I expect not a huge priority when you are in the midst of fighting a war.
Don
Old 08-05-21, 06:12 AM

Default Strathcona's Badge

The badge posted is a Gaunt style WW1 type, The original WW1 Gaunt style Strathcona's badge had a slider on the rear, yours has lugs. These badges have had a re strike in early 1970's and have had a JR Gaunt plate added the back, with lugs. Yours appears to be a re strike type.

The Regiments cap badge since 1909 has changed over the years, and this was done due to the many manufactures of the early badges and changes to styles. The main Regimental badge was not standardized until 1919, based of TipTaft style, made by Scully. And was the longest worn badge 1919-1967 as seen in photos.

The Regiment is my main focus with in collecting, and I served with the Regiment for over 26 years.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 17-05-21, 10:18 PM

Default LDSH cap badge

Here is I believe is a SWW issue, the banner is different.

The first original Boer war badge is just the shield with a crown as shown in the middle of the badge, the Milart site has a nice write up that Anthony wrote on the early LDSH cap badges.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LSH.jpg (105.5 KB, 22 views)