British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-11, 04:03 PM

Default PARRY SOUND 162

Hi All, I picked up this badge today and have found only 1 picture of this badge and only a mention of a collar dog on the forum, Google seems to have nothing much apart from.
Based in Parry Sound, Ontario, the unit began recruiting in late 1915 in that city. After sailing to England in November 1916, the battalion was absorbed into the 3rd and 4th Reserve Battalions on January 4, 1917.
It was a small battalion with only 758 or so members.
So would i be right in thinking that it is one of the harder to find badges of the CEF ?.
Thanks Andy.

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 19-06-11, 07:34 PM

Yes... it is a harder to find badge....cograts on owning it and thanks for showing it
Old 19-06-11, 07:39 PM
Peter J

Nice-looking badge, Andy. What type of fixing(s) does it have on the back?

Peter.
Old 19-06-11, 09:56 PM

It's value in Charlton's book (although out of date) reflects a much greater scarcity than many of the other CEF badges.

Phil
Old 20-06-11, 09:08 PM

Hi Jim,Peter & Phil
Thanks for the replies, here's the back for you peter the stamped sheet lugs which i think were common on Canadian badges, only having the Charlton's corps badges book i couldn't judge the how hard it may be to find one of these badges and it was only the lack of finding anything on this bn and badge on the forum/Google that made me think that it could be a hard to find badge, so thanks Jim & Phil.
Thanks for your interest.Andy

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 20-06-11, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Magpie, Look no further than the Forum Albums. Here are some of my 162nd Battalion collection. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=27527
The battalion was raised in a rural area of Ontario, recruiting from Parry Sound, across the Hwy 124 area, into Burk's Falls, up to Sundridge, Trout Creek, Powassan and some activity in the area just south of North Bay. It was bounded on the east by Algonquin Park. The area is mostly Canadian Shield, with pockets of farming. It was a major lumbering area at the turn of the century into the First World War era. As such, the population was sparse, and the communities were small and very young. The area had just been settled around the turn of the century. The major transportation link was the north - south railways, with no major highway connection until around the 1930's. The battalion (or part of it) camped in Sundridge before moving to Camp Borden. The recruitment area explains the low numbers in the battalion.
There are at least three finishes for the badges, a darkened copper, with the numbers in plain copper. (Probably removed by the soldiers.) A darkened brass badge, and a plain brass badge. All have matching collars, and the collars are only one side. I have never seen a pickled finish on 162nd Bn badges. While none of the badges are easy to find, (and I live near the area), the brass are quite scarce. I am of the opinion that they may have been for nco's or perhaps even officers. Stamped lugs, the Ellis pattern are the most common, but there are badges that have wire lugs.
Old 18-07-20, 09:39 PM

Default 162nd Parry Sound

Hi Bill
I am not a badge collector however my paternal Grandfather was Private Frank Wood in the 162nd Parry Sound Battalion.
Where would i look to try and buy a badge from this battalion.'
Thanks
Peter
Old 19-08-20, 06:28 PM

Default Badge acquisition

Hi Peter . Once things get back to some normality there is a monthly badge show held in Burlington . I think it's still active .
If you did a GOOGLE search : C.S.M.M.I. you might find some info on it.
Canadian Society of Military Medals and Insignia .
There's a couple of shows in Etobicoke each year , just off hiway 427 , lots of dealers .
I'm sure there are shows in eastern Ontario as well .
Happy Hunting .
Old 19-08-20, 06:57 PM

Maybe just me, but I am not seeing the pictures. Perhaps I didn't pay my membership last time around.
Don
Old 19-08-20, 07:07 PM

You are 11 years too late!!!

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges