British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-01-21, 04:44 PM

Default King's Own Scottish Borderers Sweetheart Brooch

This may be of interest to Sweetheart Brooch Collectors in the future and could be referred to for authentication should one ever come up in the open market.

This Sweetheart Brooch in solid Silver was Commissioned in 1987 by the WO's, C/Sgt's and Sgt Mess King's Own Scottish Borderers.

I was PMC of the Mess at the time and contacted Garrard Jewellers of London, when we were stationed in Brook Bks Berlin. A mould was made (Pictured although a bit wear and tear having been in my kit bag for a few decades) and sent to the Mess members for approval.

We commissioned 50 to be made and to be number stamped, as you can see my good lady received number 3, in hindsight I maybe should have taken Number 25) Nevertheless, and hall marked also visible, you will not that the badge has the King's Crown, again this may be of historical interest to the collector.
The post 1952 Cap Badge of the regiment unfortunately was never made in OR's design white metal with the detail afforded to the King's Crown pre 1952 Cap badge white metal, to that end it was agreed that a KC pre 1952 OR's Cap Badge would be sent for Garrard to construct our Sweetheart Brooch.
Kind regards
Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family 16.jpg (72.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Family 17.jpg (60.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Family 18.jpg (69.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 14-01-21, 05:08 PM

Hiram,

very nice. what size is it please

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 14-01-21, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderer View Post
This may be of interest to Sweetheart Brooch Collectors in the future and could be referred to for authentication should one ever come up in the open market.

This Sweetheart Brooch in solid Silver was Commissioned in 1987 by the WO's, C/Sgt's and Sgt Mess King's Own Scottish Borderers.

I was PMC of the Mess at the time and contacted Garrard Jewellers of London, when we were stationed in Brook Bks Berlin. A mould was made (Pictured although a bit wear and tear having been in my kit bag for a few decades) and sent to the Mess members for approval.

We commissioned 50 to be made and to be number stamped, as you can see my good lady received number 3, in hindsight I maybe should have taken Number 25) Nevertheless, and hall marked also visible, you will not that the badge has the King's Crown, again this may be of historical interest to the collector.
The post 1952 Cap Badge of the regiment unfortunately was never made in OR's design white metal with the detail afforded to the King's Crown pre 1952 Cap badge white metal, to that end it was agreed that a KC pre 1952 OR's Cap Badge would be sent for Garrard to construct our Sweetheart Brooch.
Kind regards
Hiram
Thank you for the information, Hiram.
Congratulations on your magnificent KOSB album collection.
Kind Regards,
John
Old 14-01-21, 11:01 PM

Hi Simon,
Its size is width 2.5cm and height 3.2cm approximately.
Cheers
Hiram
Old 15-01-21, 11:20 AM

Thank you

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-01-21, 02:55 PM

Thanks John for your kind words.
Best
Hiram
Old 15-01-21, 03:47 PM

Hiram Many thanks for a very informative post You can see in future posts/arguments that -this could not be genuine but a fake as k/c with 1980's hall mark
Also very nice album ,great collection
David
Old 16-01-21, 03:29 PM

Thanks David,
Exactly one of the reasons I posted it, as it provides providence.
The Crown on the Badge of the King's Own Scottish Borderers during my 25 years and 254 days service with the regiment, being worn by all ranks varied between, QVC, Imperial KC and post 1954 St Edward QC, soldiers of all ranks were entitled to wear any cap badge post 1887 with the title King's Own Scottish Borderers, because in most cases it had belonged to a family members from days gone by who has served in the regiment and being a family regiment this tradition went without question.
Cheers
Hiram