British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-14, 06:43 PM

Default Tyneside Irish

I took a gamble on this Tyneside Irish shoulder title badge. Its not Reid marked but as its been brooched I think its period and worn as a sweetheart. Opinions welcomed.

regards

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TI1.JPG (22.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg TI2.jpg (38.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-07-14, 08:42 PM

I was put off by what looks like a slider mark at 12o'clock on the harp. Regards Paul.
Old 06-07-14, 10:33 PM

I took the gamble based on the fact that the effort and cost to convert an outright reproduction into a sweetheart brooch outweighed the financial gain.

thanks for the input

regards

Mark
Old 07-07-14, 12:48 AM

Sounds to be in with a chance Mark. Has anyone posted similar with the pin fitting Andy? If a makers mistake as a batch- perhaps the conversion would have been done by the maker? Regards, Paul.
Old 07-07-14, 02:31 AM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=81419

Hope Simon doesn't mind
Old 07-07-14, 10:49 PM

Don't look bad Mark, I kinda like the appearance of the rear of it. Sometimes I think that these conversions were done by the guys when the war was over. Pinned so as not to damage their best suit jacket?? Comments!

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-07-14, 10:57 PM

Simon's badge looks to have lug remains North- and possibly South. If they were using lugs they could have moved the position if they wanted- why would the maker put a pin on it? The more I read about fittings on this badge the less I feel I know! Regards, Paul.
Old 16-12-14, 03:21 PM

Default Tyneside Irish S/T

I think this may be my last buy of the year-'buy it now' item on eBay. Not stated as Reid but it is marked. Couple of questions-Is it known if Reid marked badges have been faked- and on my badge do the lugs look original or re-attached. Thanks, Paul.

P1040859.jpg P1040860.jpg P1040857.jpg

Last edited by wardog; 01-01-15 at 01:32 AM.
Old 16-12-14, 04:46 PM

Default tyneside irish

hello paul, the badge looks good to me, regarding the makers mark, never seen a faked one yet (fingers crossed!!) the lugs are in the right position and imo original, but i think at some stage it has been possibly acid cleaned, it will oxidize and tone down in due course (100 years) kidding!! no, leave it in a place to let the elements get at it and it should oxidize nicely! kind regards richard
Old 16-12-14, 05:10 PM

Default tyneside irish

A buy it now off ebay!! how much did you pay? reid and sons shoulder titles go for £120+ now, must of been a bargain! congrats if it was! kind regards richard
Old 16-12-14, 05:33 PM
Banned

Default Tyneside Irish S/Ts

Good afternoon.

Whilst some people might pay such sums for Reid marked S/Ts they can be, and are frequently are, found for far less.

Do not pay more than GBP75 under any circumstances: just be patient. I bought my last one for that sum earlier this year about two miles from Reids's shop!

Enjoy.
Old 16-12-14, 07:05 PM

Default tyneside irish

Good evening S.T, i agree 100% regarding Tyneside Irish shoulder titles, £75.00 is about the mark, dealers like to capitalise on the fact that they are scarce, not knowing why! Tyneside Irish like many more regiments were buried in their battle dress, so consequently their shoulder titles are where they rest in peace. i was told years ago that casualties of the Tyneside Irish, their personal belongings were send home with a shoulder title from their uniform, not a great consolement to the next of kin, but a badge of honour kind regards richard