British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-01-20, 01:28 AM

Default Artillery button

Members may have the book referred to in my previous post. If so, what would be the opinion then of the button listed as ev7 ? the button illustrated, clearly shows (IMO) the letters RS and LA as opposed to his description. which in my opinion would suggest Royal Stanneries Light Artillery (or Local Artillery). See the enclosed shots of my e7 (back mark, NUTTING & SON KING ST COVENT GARDEN. Your thoughts? David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.jpg (32.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0782.jpg (31.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-01-20, 11:31 AM

Hi David, Probably just a book typo for the SVA he probably thought not worth editing as Volunteer artillery or artillery volunteer would make little difference. The silver/gilt query mainly a Victorian distinction with vol/militia being silver. For the Georgian period gilt was used regularly on militia and vol. I haven't got Litchfields book but would be interested what he put down for the RS as I always have it as Royal Stanneries Local/loyal Artillery. This in my view is one of the more 'commonly' found artillery vol buttons.
Old 08-01-20, 11:37 AM

Also the RS artillery seem to be dug up quite a bit on Canadian sites for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royalstanneryartillery.jpg (39.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-01-20, 12:57 PM

Lazio, your button appears to be flat and Gilt (at one time?) and very clearly is RSLA. I did not explain fully in my previous post, but Litchfield states the letters on the button in his book bears RS and VA and goes on, “Royal Stanneries Volunteer Artillery.” It is difficult to distinguish the photo in his book, though it looks like LA to me. (The same as he definitely states SAV on the other button (as opposed to SVA. SO, are there two buttons (SAV/SVA & RSVA/RSLA)? Or is my “Anorak” mind being to pedantic? Regards, David J.
Old 08-01-20, 01:23 PM

I've not seen an RS VA. Litchfield was the authority on them but maybe his example was not clear to see or they were known as RSVA and he kept that up. With Georgian buttons lots of mistakes can be made with spelling on the dies.
Old 08-01-20, 03:46 PM

Love all these rare (to me anyway) buttons.

Marc
Old 08-01-20, 04:15 PM

This is one of mine not a great example but it sometimes gets mistaken for the stanneries PWR BVA Brighton vol artillery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brightonvolartillery.jpg (60.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-01-20, 05:39 PM

Thank you for sharing that Lazio. That's half the mystery solved! Here is mine, and please enlighten me on what the PWR stands for. Regards, D.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0788.jpg (31.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-01-20, 02:25 AM

Tried to change the button, this is second try, A little more modern than my last post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0791.jpg (32.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.jpg (35.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-01-20, 05:08 AM

This is an interesting thread thanks. I don't have Litchfield's button book and I didn't realise just how many artillery buttons there were.

Cheers, Keith
Old 11-01-20, 10:27 AM

Prince of Wales's Royal Brighton Volunteer Artillery. I lost out on one of these on our favourite auction site recently; very nice indeed!

KR,

Pete.
Old 11-01-20, 02:39 PM

To fairlie63, When I started getting into buttons of the Royal Artillery, they generally ran at about .50c to 3.00 Canadian. Then I decided on expanding to all the former British Empire artillery and on up to the present Commonwealth. At 300 buttons now, it’s become impossible to know how many different ones there are out there. Also impossible to bid on all I would like, Prices are “Through the roof” as they say. Sadly, I lack Youth, Knowledge in computers, Artistic temperament, and ability to put together an album for the forum members use. But, If any member was interested in sharing what I may have, just ask on the forum, “What have you got on (country)” and I will gladly respond and post a picture if I have any suiting your inquiry. Best regards David J.
Old 11-01-20, 02:44 PM

And to Tiger Pete, Thank you for your unwitting answer to one of my previous posts, Ref. What does the PWR stand for on the Brighton Volunteer Artillery button That I have. Regards, David J.
Old 12-01-20, 02:50 PM

Hi David,

It was an intentional response to you on my part, I just articulated it poorly. I'm glad you now know what the letters stand for.

Kind Regards,

Pete
Old 12-01-20, 06:25 PM

Tiger Pete, However I got it, It was to my benefit. Thank you. As this is the “button “ section of the forum, I should admit to making a real “Foot in my mouth” mistake a few days ago in a comment elsewhere in the forum in a comment about a button pic submitted by member Lazio. (Cannot find it now) I alluded to the fact that cannons probably would not be on a uniform facing two different ways ie. right side of jacket, cannons facing one way and on the left side facing the other way. Well now, I dug out my Royal Navy buttons and what do I see?, Cannons ready to blow each other to Kingdom Come! See next post. D.J.