British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-10-12, 06:44 PM

Default 4th Med. Regt. R.C.A.

Hello All,

I am wondering if there might be an artillery person who could help me out. I am pretty much only knowledgeable about infantry and cavalry units (and even then, only somewhat at best): The RCA is quite a mysterious beast to me. Here is what I need help with. Does anyone know what badges (Cap, Collars, Titles, Flashes, Slip-Ons, etc) someone with the "4th Med. Regt. R.C.A." would have worn circa 1945? Any pictures would be GREAT, but even if you could point me in the right direction, that would be MOST helpful. Many thanks for your help.

Duncan
Old 25-10-12, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Duncan, The 4th Med Regt RCA was on the order of battle of the First Canadian Army, No 2 Army Group Royal Artillery. (Royal Canadian Artillery). In 1945, the gunner's of 4 MED RCA would have worn printed strips reading 4 MED RCA (MED would be in smaller lettering) in red on dark blue (almost black) strips worn on the epaulet. On the sleeve they would wear the CANADA nationality title, below that the First Canadian Army AGRA patch. (The First Canadian Army with the zig jag lightning bolt design). The end of the zig zag should be up as viewed. The cap badge would be the standard RCA brass badge. Depending on the rank there were other insignia that may be found. No collars were to be worn on battle dress, and if they were officer's they would only be worn on service dress uniforms. The collar is the 7 pointed flaming grenade. There may or may not have been a piece of red melton backing cut to silhouette the cap badge and worn behind the badge. They may also have worn a white lanyard.
Old 25-10-12, 07:54 PM

This information is GREAT, Bill. Thank you soo much! This little "sideline project" is for a cousin of mine whose father was a Capt. with this group. I am trying to put together a "presentation" grouping that she can pass along to her grandchild. Thanks again for the great information! :-)
Duncan