British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-08, 11:04 AM

Default Royal Australian Army Medical Corps

Royal Australian Army Medical Corps Circa 1960
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAAMC.jpg (22.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 25-05-19, 05:00 PM
Administrator

I've added a AAMC cap badge to the database. I'm using Festberg's book as a guide. Funny thing is, he has a gap: 1941-49 with none of his illustrated badges claiming to be used in that period. Am I missing something??? What was worn 1941-49?
Old 25-05-19, 07:41 PM

Hi Mike,

Between 1921-1930, and 1942 to approximately 1950, the badge worn by all elements of the Australian Army without exception was the Commonwealth Pattern General Service badge, the rising sun, with the words AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH MILITARY FORCES in the scrolls.

In 1948 permission was given for corps and regimental badges still in stock to be issued and worn, I don't know how widespread this was because many of the stocks held by Ordnance were handed over to the Australian War Memorial in 1949.

Many of the badge designs were redrawn in 1949 and circulated to heads of Corps, etc, for discussion, in many cases nothing had been settled by mid 1950, and production difficulties meant that it was not until the early 1950s that some of the badges were produced - many not until after Queen Elizabeth's coronation, hence a dearth of Australian badges of this period manufactured with a Tudor crown. For example the 1949-53 Royal Australian Artillery badge shown by Festberg is a British RA badge - the post war Australian design approved in 1951 with a Tudor crown was never manufactured.

Festberg had a couple of books - if you are using his 1903-1966 book then take Staff Corps, Royal Australian Artillery, and prewar Australian Corps of Signals with a grain of salt.

Keith
Old 26-05-19, 08:07 AM

Festburg's 1967 book (the first illustrated Australian badge book) was full of mistakes like enlarging collar badges to hat badge size when they were never worn. He knew everything, boasted about his book being "definitive" and could not be told anything. He was the only person I have ever met who was capable of denying the evidence of his own eyes: if a badge was not on the MGO files in Melbourne then it did not exist. He may be forgiven because at least he started publishing something.
Old 26-05-19, 10:02 AM

hi Mike
why are you using Festberg?
the definitive work is Cossum but even his books, you could argue, are tainted with several glaring mistakes. don't take me wrong, Cossum's work is a fantastic start and id like to think he and i are mates.

thanks kingsley, never knew Festberg, before my time, but have heard the same as you say. his books are a good curio and a beginning to the cataloguing of the aussie military badge

bc
Old 27-05-19, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi Mike
why are you using Festberg?
the definitive work is Cossum but even his books, you could argue, are tainted with several glaring mistakes. don't take me wrong, Cossum's work is a fantastic start and id like to think he and i are mates.

thanks kingsley, never knew Festberg, before my time, but have heard the same as you say. his books are a good curio and a beginning to the cataloguing of the aussie military badge

bc
I only have Cossum part 3 (48-85) ..so I end up picking up Festberg for anything that might be older. Anyway, if I cock anything up comment on the page or PM and I'll fix it.

Thanks all for the comments here and clarifying this one - I will proceed with caution as far as Festberg is concerned!