British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-12, 05:17 AM

Default Heck

$710 on eBay, gosh that's amazing (well to me it is)
Old 12-01-12, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekx View Post
There was one of these badges on eBay recently (item number 170757081191), in white metal with screwpost fittings, attached to a period-looking pouch. I've not seen any restrikes in WM before, nor with screwposts. Could this possibly be a genuine one?
hi
several things

there are no dress regs or photos of this badge being worn.

i would like to have seen the back of this badge as we have a couple of fantastic badge repairers on this site, especially dave the guru, who could easily replace lugs with screw posts.

i think this could be made up using an unbadged period pouch.

and as the seller states, "This is quite possibly even a unique surviving example of this colonial unit’s dress, and I am not aware of any similar item in any museum collection or private hands." is it because its super rare or because it never existed.

i think someone bought a fantasy item, but id be happy to be proved wrong
bc
Old 14-02-12, 12:17 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
kingsley,
Are you saying that mine is a phoney as well (i.e. ALL') or just the ones from Australia?
David

So this is a dud badge..... Nice to know.
G'day David

Hey what a beautiful badge !!

I dont have anything like it and have not seen one either, most of my pre fed badges are Victorian and unfortunatly Cossum never did a book on pre fed badges although it was talked about many years ago.

Good one

Regards

Phil.
Old 14-02-12, 12:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
Are there many repo Australian badges ? Some of the pre federation badges go for big money.
G'day Ironhorse

The only pre fed badge that I know to have been reproed is the Kings Colonials "Australasian" with the standing kangaroo, I have 2 the good one has a dark patina and lugs east - west, the repro is much yellower and has north south lugs, I got my repro from a army disposals store in Melbourne in the early 70's.

And your other point is also true, pre fed Aust badges can go for a lot of money as can the pre WW1 light horse and infantry battalion badges.

Regards

Phil.
Old 14-02-12, 12:41 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
G'day David

Hey what a beautiful badge !!

I dont have anything like it and have not seen one either, most of my pre fed badges are Victorian and unfortunatly Cossum never did a book on pre fed badges although it was talked about many years ago.

Good one

Regards

Phil.
Thanks Phil.
Mine isn't an Australian one, its a Brit one - but then a very sweeping statement was made that ALL these badges are fakes - which is why I asked for clarification - and it seems from the response to my query, that it IS considered a fake. A bit like my 42nd Foot NCO's cap badge - which wasn't.
Having compared the quality of workmanship of mine and other similar items I have I am just amazed thats it thought to be a fake. David
Old 15-02-12, 05:24 AM

Guys
Firstly, Dave, I don’t think anyone here said yours was a fake. Well I certainly didn’t. It’s the QUEENSLAND MEDICAL DEPT. badges that are fake. Yours is British, nothing to do with the Queensland version and I think is probably good going on the way it has been made and finished.

Phil, there are many Australian pre fed badges that have been copied. Most of them I have seen have been done by re-enactment groups and include qld artillery helmet plate, and several different nsw helmet plates.

And Phil, Cossum has done a pre fed book. At present it hasn’t been published, but will be far superior to any other badge reference book already out there. It’s been going to go to the printers for the past couple of years but Jeff hasn’t been entirely happy with it. Keeps finding new things to add to it
BC
Old 20-02-12, 10:24 AM

Smile

Hi BC,

Thanks for the update, I look forward to it comming out to fill a very big gap, please let me know when its available.

Regards

Phil.
Old 20-02-12, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi BC,

Thanks for the update, I look forward to it comming out to fill a very big gap, please let me know when its available.

Regards

Phil.
will do phil
and i believe he is redoing his other badge books also. maybe combining them into 1 big book.
bc
Old 06-02-14, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
Hi jim
This badge has been discussed on the forum before I'm sure. It's an interesting item. The only pre fed book on the subject identifies it as Queensland medical. The next book on pre fed badges of Australia still being finalized for publishing doesn't include the badege. The reason is that it's not mentioned in any dress regulations nor is there any photographic proof it was worn.
Interestingly, one of if not the best collections of Aussie badges, the bob grey collection, does not include this badge either. The collection was put together from ww1-about the early 1970s.
It's also my belief it is a fantasy badge! But the debate goes on. Either way, there are far to many of them to be around than there should be.
Bc
I believe that this was manufactured but never issued?
Perhaps why the grey collection does not include an example?
Old 04-03-14, 02:25 AM

Default Qld Med Dept

Hi all,
I strongly believe that ALL these badges, without exception, are fakes (maybe 'fantasy badge' is a nicer way to put it). No one ever saw one until about 10 years ago.
Old 11-03-15, 11:07 AM

I know this is an old post but I was surprised to see a link to my Ebay guide from a few years back.

The badge is included in Rick Grebert's book "Military Badges of the Australian Colonies 1800-1903" so it is possible that there are some originals still floating around but most on the market should be assessed as repro.