British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-21, 08:57 PM

Default New Member with a question

Hello all;

I've been interested in Cdn. and British badge collecting for a while but I recently have become curious about the Australian army badges. I am somewhat confused when I see references to Grebert and Cossum as Cossums's publications don't really appear in chronological order. What is the numbering system of each of these two references about?

Sorry for the dumb question, but having difficulty finding an answer. Thanks

LSJG
Old 17-02-21, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi LSJGreen, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 18-02-21, 03:38 AM

Jeff Cossum published several books on Australian badges from 1983, now out of print. Some are currently listed on Ebay and are worth paying a fair bit for the information. The books were 1930-42, 1901 to the 1920s, Cloth badges, Rising Suns and Buttons. Before this, we only had a few incomplete and inaccurate references on Australian badges.
He illustrated the badges in order of army precedence, starting with the Light Horse, but the numbers in the books don't mean anything except making it easier to find something.

Jeff started to compile another book on pre-federation State badges but never published it. I have been trying to find out what has happened to Jeff and to the valuable information. I believe that the book would be absolutely sensational and really hope that he has passed the torch on to someone else if he is unable to finish it.

In 2000, for the centenary of Federation, Rick Grebert published a Pre-federation Australian badge book which is one of the few references we now have. It has some great pictures, but as Rick himself was the first to admit, is by no means complete. There is what we know, what we can assume, and what we don't know.
Old 18-02-21, 07:25 PM

Thanks Kingley,

So if Grebert's reference numbers are all Pre-Federation, does that mean that a reference to a "Cossum 1" would be around 1901 and a "Cossum 500" more recent?
Old 18-02-21, 11:18 PM

The terms "Cossum1" or "500" don't mean anything to me. The first book he published, i.e.book number 1, was 1930-42 badges. Badge number 1 would therefore be much later than number 1 in the 1903 book that came out later.
I hope this makes sense.
Old 20-03-21, 10:00 AM

Default Cossum's Button Book - Reference System...

When Cossum's Buttons of the Australian Defence Forces In Australia is used to reference a button they quote the page and a letter. Since 4 buttons are presented on most pages - the buttons are lettered - Top Left a, Top Right b, Bottom Left c and Bottom Right d. Thus 15c. is the Bottom Left button on Page 15.