British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-12-20, 06:34 PM

Default Expensive Copy

I'd of thought this should have sweat holes, the numbered slider is interesting

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/124482055465?ul_noapp=true

Stephen
Old 12-12-20, 06:48 PM

A badge from the standard Martin Marsh fake die. Very commonly encountered and very modern. It’s an increasingly common ploy to punch a few numbers or name on a slider to deceive uninformed buyers.
Old 12-12-20, 06:54 PM

Thanks Luke, pity to see it being sold and 'guaranteed as original'!

Stephen
Old 12-12-20, 07:22 PM

The jewels look uneven and the font is rounded imho.
Andy
Old 12-12-20, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Thanks Luke, pity to see it being sold and 'guaranteed as original'!

Stephen
Funnily enough that seller is being discussed here: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=81125

This badge quite succinctly shows the level of his knowledge and unscrupulous sales practices.
Old 12-12-20, 08:18 PM

Fifty odd quid, you could buy a real one for less!

Quote:

Stephen
Old 13-12-20, 08:05 AM

I have emailed him three time to find out the maker of one of his Essex buttons, still no reply. I Google Earth his office, out standing location.
Old 13-12-20, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rayner View Post
I have emailed him three time to find out the maker of one of his Essex buttons, still no reply. I Google Earth his office, out standing location.
From enquiries I an another have made, that is not his office, its another of these 'ghost addresses'.

We believe him still in Kent.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 13-12-20, 12:26 PM

He regularly doesn’t reply to emails or messages and if he does it’s often after the item enquired about has sold... yet another gripe I have with him.

As Simon says very likely a ghost address as on eBay his business telephone number is still 0208 dialling code identical to when he listed his address as Bromley in Kent. He has taken all address/telephone details down from his website.

Clearly something a little fishy going on, I imagine either customer or money problems as being the reason to utilise a ghost address.
Old 13-12-20, 01:12 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Quote:

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for taking time to show this fake.

I posted on a similar thread recently regarding Irish badges on eBay. Not my area of expertise at all - but as someone who trawls the site daily, and has done since about 2005, there is a common theme: of all the badges advertised, there are just too many pre-partition Irish badges advertised - and all appear fake. As mentioned already, sellers know the real ones are expensive and - increasingly - rare, so make a fast buck.

The numbers made versus the numbers for sale just don't stack up...but I continue to look in hope!

Mark
Old 13-12-20, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
He regularly doesn’t reply to emails or messages and if he does it’s often after the item enquired about has sold... yet another gripe I have with him.

As Simon says very likely a ghost address as on eBay his business telephone number is still 0208 dialling code identical to when he listed his address as Bromley in Kent. He has taken all address/telephone details down from his website.

Clearly something a little fishy going on, I imagine either customer or money problems as being the reason to utilise a ghost address.
I’ve been to his house to drop something off rather than post it.
Old 13-12-20, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McClelland-Jones View Post
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for taking time to show this fake.

I posted on a similar thread recently regarding Irish badges on eBay. Not my area of expertise at all - but as someone who trawls the site daily, and has done since about 2005, there is a common theme: of all the badges advertised, there are just too many pre-partition Irish badges advertised - and all appear fake. As mentioned already, sellers know the real ones are expensive and - increasingly - rare, so make a fast buck.

The numbers made versus the numbers for sale just don't stack up...but I continue to look in hope!

Mark
There are actually quite a lot of genuine pre-1922 Irish badges on eBay, mostly infantry but several good cavalry and yeomanry. On occasion there are even some very rare badges listed, e.g. a few months ago a North of Ireland I.Y. badge sold for just £47. To say they all appear fake is very inaccurate.

The Leinster that is the topic of this thread is a very obvious fake which is easily recognisable at a glance from the shape and outline of its plumes and rounded letter ends. 98% of fake Leinster Regiment badges are from this die.
Old 13-12-20, 01:41 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Hi Luke,

You are absolutely correct - I could not agree more. There are plenty of smashing badges on eBay and certainly one or two rarities to be had. Hence my final comment.

To clarify and for accuracy, I am not suggesting they are all fakes - not at all - it's just that there are too many fakes versus real ones. But yes I will continue wading through these and look in hope of that bargain/rarity!

Best wishes,

Mark
Old 13-12-20, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McClelland-Jones View Post
Hi Luke,

You are absolutely correct - I could not agree more. There are plenty of smashing badges on eBay and certainly one or two rarities to be had. Hence my final comment.

To clarify and for accuracy, I am not suggesting they are all fakes - not at all - it's just that there are too many fakes versus real ones. But yes I will continue wading through these and look in hope of that bargain/rarity!

Best wishes,

Mark
Send me a friend request and you’ll be able to see my Martin Marsh fake albums which contain the most prolific pre-1922 Irish repros. Studying and avoiding these will in most cases steer you to the genuine article and be able to spot a dud from a thumbnail pic alone.
Old 13-12-20, 03:57 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

That's kind of you, Luke. Request to follow.

Mark