British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-08, 05:22 PM

Default Tie Clip

This item has always puzzled me. It was my Grandfathers and I often wondered would he have worn this during the War or was this something that he would have picked up later. For those that did not read my story in the Introduce yourself section...my Grandfather died in 1959 so our family does not know for sure when he received it.

If you google the maker mark it says in their bio that the founder in "1938 founded the Anderson Tool and Die Company, making tools and dies for the jewelry manufacturing business. During WWII activity in the jewelry making business was curtailed so they converted their jewelry making machinery to milling machines and entered into war production work. With the completion of the war contracts, the present company was formed and entered the men's jewelry mfg. business in 1945, manufacturing and selling a new type of collar holder."

The key word is curtailed...which means essentially to cut.

So the questions are: Could this have been made and sold to the soldiers overseas while they were in England? Has anyone seen another one of these before? Was this purchased after the war?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badge Forum 013 (2).jpg (51.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Forum 014 (2).jpg (40.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Forum 015 (2).jpg (55.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Forum 016 (2).jpg (63.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 16-11-08, 05:32 PM

It looks like a shotgun to me. Sportsman's tie bar perhaps? I really don't think that it is military at all.

Phil
Old 16-11-08, 09:40 PM

Looks like a winchester model 12 shotgun... second pick would be a remington model 870... I don't beleive it is military at all... was your grandpa a bird hunter?
Old 16-11-08, 10:16 PM

Hi Jim,

He loved to hunt and fish for sure.

I too had noted that it was a shotgun as well but thought that perhaps the American company 'Anson' had made the tie clip to appeal to a broad base of people...guess the Americans would not want a Lee Enfield tie clip (lol).

I think you are all correct that it is post war and was more to do with his hunting...but I thought I would see if anyone had come across this tie clip before on the outside chance that it was a war period item.

Cheers,
Mike