British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-07, 03:14 PM

Default Trucial Oman Scouts

Hi

Anybody else with an interest in this area?

I'll post some pictures when I fathom it all out!!!

Eddie
Old 27-11-07, 06:45 PM

Ok,

Lets see if I can get some pictures up!!!

These are an officers "cap" badge, a soldiers badge, sgts and below, and a brass shoulder title worn by all ranks. The cap badges are made of coinage silver cast in the souk in Sharjah. They have a brooch fitting with the point upwards and were worn on the black argle over a red/white shamarg.

The Arabic reads quwat sahil oman - or Oman Coast Force - on both cap badge and shoulder title.

Officers had silver collar badges like the soldiers cap badges but handed left and right.

Enjoy

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOS Off.JPG (28.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg TOS OR.JPG (20.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg TOS ST.JPG (22.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 27-11-07 at 06:47 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 27-11-07, 08:46 PM

The Trucial Oman Scouts were formed in 1951 and named the Trucial Oman Levies. Their head-dress badges were a single dagger for o/ranks and crossed daggers for officers (without scroll). In 1956, they were re-designated as the Trucial Oman Scouts. What I don't know is when the badge gained its title scroll - anyone know this?

Brian
Old 27-11-07, 08:55 PM

Hi

You'll notice that the officers' badge is in fact crossed kunjars resting on two old muzzle loading cannons with the scroll below.

This badge is identical to that later adopted by the Oman Coast Regiment - part of the Sultan of Oman's Armed forces. In the case of OCR the scroll reads Kateeba Sahil Oman.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oman Coast Regt.JPG (29.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 28-11-07, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shako_uk View Post
The Trucial Oman Scouts were formed in 1951 and named the Trucial Oman Levies. Their head-dress badges were a single dagger for o/ranks and crossed daggers for officers (without scroll). In 1956, they were re-designated as the Trucial Oman Scouts. What I don't know is when the badge gained its title scroll - anyone know this?

Brian
Brian

Do you have a picture of the scroll-less officers' badge, or a text reference to it. I've never seen one. If you have a picture please post it.

This is the Trucal Oman Levies shoulder title. Nicely made probably UK but might be India/Pakistan. Die struck with copper lugs. Note the circular full stops. I've often wondered if there was a similar TOS title but all the photos I've seen show the cast brass one.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOL ST.JPG (14.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 28-11-07, 08:54 PM

Default Trucial Oman Levies/Scouts

Hi Eddie,

Yes, I do have a picture of the early T.O.L. badge, though it is only a newspaper cutting. However, it does show the crossed knives badges pplainly enough. A scan is attached.

I have both badges , plus the later one, in my collection, but canot lay hands on them at the moment. Will sort them out and let you have scans of the badges alone.

I have a number of Omani badges - and of course, queries. Would you be able to translate the Arabic inscriptions on them, please? Many of them I already have, through the Omani Embassy, but I have acquired other items since. You can reach me on bcrowe@tiscali.co.uk, if you wish.

Regards,
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSD_3609.JPG (45.0 KB, 121 views)
Old 28-11-07, 09:41 PM

Brian,

I am always happy to have a go at Arabic but the very ornate stuff gives even native speakers problems! In any case I have a "man who can".

Eddie
Old 29-11-07, 05:47 PM

Hi Eddie,

I've found the missing items and attach scans of five badges.

The Omani badges are shown first and you will note that they differ slightly. The first is in w/metal, the second, chromed; both die-struck, both with slpit-pin fastenngs. Yuo will also note that the inscriptions differ., the second one being similar to yhe T.O.S. badge.

Of the three Trucial Oman badges. The first is the single dagger; second is the crossed daggers and third the one similar to the Omani Coast Regt. The first three badges are local manufacture, , Nos. 1 and 3 having brooch-pin fastenings, the second one has split-pin loops. They look to be made of silver.

Comments will be appreciated - are you interested in other Arab badges (HBL, APL and such like?)
Regards,
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSD_194E.jpg (49.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg PSD_480F.jpg (26.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 29-11-07, 07:18 PM

Hi Brian

Numbering your badges 1 to 5 from the left.

No 1 is the badge of the Oman Coast Regiment - Sultan's Armed Forces. The scroll reads kateeba sahil oman or Oman Coast(al) Regiment.
No 2 is obviously similar but with significant differences. The scroll reads quwat sahil oman or Oman Coast(al) Force. I think this must be a late pattern TOS badge.
N0 3 is the TOL/TOS Sgts and below badge.
No 4 is TOL WO/officers on your photo evidence
No 5 is TOS WO/officers. Scroll reads as in no 2.

The silver badges were made in Sharjah souk. I've seen 1 and 2 with brooch fittings

I am trying to get to the bottom of the way in which the OCR adopted the badge(s?) of the TOS. I have a contact in Oman who is working on it, but nobody seems to know. I'll post here if I get anywhere!

And yes, I'm interested in all British/Arabian units. I've never seen a HBL badge - please post any you have!!!

Eddie
Old 05-01-08, 10:16 PM

Eddie here's the Aden Protectorate Levies card I mentioned.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5502.JPG (49.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5504.JPG (17.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5503.JPG (23.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-01-08, 12:52 PM

Thanks Mike

While I was in Oman we were in theory not allowed to celebrate Christmas. Buuut in my mess the Arab officers - including the Mutawr (or priest) - insisted that we did; including Xmas Pud with brandy butter and Secret Santa. The latter were distributed by the only British WO in the Regt dressing in full regalia who insisted the 2nd Lts sat on his knee.

For obvious reasons there were no photos.

Eddie
Old 04-04-08, 04:03 PM

Default Trucial Oman Scouts

For more information and pictures you might want to take a look at
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tos/pool/
Old 05-04-08, 02:13 PM

Hello Peter

That's a really great photo! Incidentally I've just seen a TOS Word List on eBay at c£20 with an hour and a half to run.

Eddie
Old 11-04-08, 08:46 AM

Default TOS Word List

Eddie.
Sadly I did not read your note in time - where is the (RSS?) thingy which automatically sends you an email when a new note has been added to the thread?

P
Old 12-04-08, 10:33 AM

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure. Maybe the administrator can tell us?

Eddie