British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-19, 02:51 PM
jamesmilitaria

Arrow Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps Shoulder Title

Good day

As far as I can gather the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps existed from Oct 1939 when it was established from Works Labour Companies before being renamed the Pioneer Corps in Nov 1940.

If my facts are correct does this make the shoulder titles unusual?

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMPC F.jpg (75.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AMPC R.jpg (77.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 22-01-19, 05:50 PM

Unusual but by no means scarce. They usually sell for between £5 and £10 (on a good day)

PL
Old 22-01-19, 08:31 PM

What has taken me many years to get hold of was the brass equivalent
Cheers
Sean
Old 22-01-19, 08:34 PM
jamesmilitaria

Thanks folks, interesting. I had no idea that so many were involved in the BEF expedition.
Old 23-01-19, 10:26 AM

Particularly the 1st Palestinian Company who went in the France virtually unarmed, came out fully armed and after being repatriated to Palestine formed the core of the Middle East Commandoes.
Old 24-01-19, 07:44 PM

Slight clarification but Eddie raises a good point:
No.1 Palestinian Company AMPC - provided the initial cadre for No.51 (ME) Cdo when the unit, under Lt Col HJ (Kid) Cator was formed at Geniefa, Egypt on 15/10/1940.

Also recall - very simplistically - many 'Aliens' of German etc descent were interned during WW2. Some were cleared to serve in the AMPC or similar units. Some then volunteered for special service of a hazardous nature and a few found their way into 3 Troop of No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando.

Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 25-01-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 25-01-19, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
...Also recall - very simplistically - many 'Aliens' of German etc descent were interned during WW2. Some were cleared to serve in the AMPC or similar units. Some then volunteered for special service of a hazardous nature and a few found their way into 3 Troop of No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando.

Mike
Not just 10 Commando, the “Aliens” served in regular and other special forces, for example SOE and SAS.
(Eg. I have a medal & document group to a German Jew who served in the AMPC before volunteering for hazardous service with 2nd SAS).

Keith
Old 25-01-19, 03:43 PM

Keith - very true - hence me calling my note simplistic - you have to take your hat of to these volunteers. From recollection your 'Rudi's Story' provides a fascinating account - highly recommended to anyone interested in SAS and such things etc.
Mike
Old 25-01-19, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Keith - very true - hence me calling my note simplistic - you have to take your hat of to these volunteers. From recollection your 'Rudi's Story' provides a fascinating account - highly recommended to anyone interested in SAS and such things etc.
Mike
If anyone is interested in Rudi’s Story copies of the book are available on the website I share with a friend www.militarychest.com

Keith

Mike - many thanks for the plug!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3887846C-5DAB-442C-A4EA-3A50741EB87C.jpg (61.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-02-19, 02:00 PM
jamesmilitaria

Thanks to everyone for your really interesting comments and information provided. I hadn't picked up that they went to France virtually unarmed as a labour pool and that they became a way for "Aliens" to get into the fight. Seems extraordinary.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-19, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmilitaria View Post
Thanks to everyone for your really interesting comments and information provided. I hadn't picked up that they went to France virtually unarmed as a labour pool and that they became a way for "Aliens" to get into the fight. Seems extraordinary.

Thanks.
"...they went to France virtually unarmed..." isn't quite correct.

The "aliens" in the AMPC were used to provide a labour force in the U.K., road and building construction, land work etc. Once the authorities were convinced of the loyalty to the allied cause the individual was allowed to volunteer for service in combatant units and for hazardous service. So leaving the AMPC and transferring to the new regiment, corps, RN, RAF etc. At which time the option of changing name was offered, for example the German jew Rudolf Friedlander on joining the SAS became Robert Lodge.

Keith
Old 07-02-19, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
"...they went to France virtually unarmed..." isn't quite correct.
My understanding is that the scale was one rifle for every 10 men so that sentries could be armed. No heavier weapons. I was told by one of their veterans that when they left France every man had a rifle.