British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-08-13, 05:42 AM

Default Royal Artillerymen 4th Indian Division Red Eagles

Aloha Everyone,

I am conducting some research on two (2) photographs and (2) 4th Indian Division Regimental badges that are apparently the mementos of a member of the Royal Artillery. They were mixed in with a large archive of US Navy Salvage photographs. Quite often when our association receives photo archives there are 'odd' things mixed in. In this instance, it appears to be "some of your boys".

Would you please take a look at these photographs and cap badges and tell me if you can identify these artillerymen? The resolution on the photos is not very sharp, but I can provide detail photos if you wish.

From what I can discern thus far, they are a Royal Artillery unit based upon their cap badges, although I do not know which Battalion/Regiment they belong to. There are (2) officers and (56) men in the photos, many of them being Sergeants. They are all wearing the 4th Indian Division badge. The second photograph has the names of the (20) men on the reverse, though unfortunately the other photo with the officers is unmarked. The location and date of the photos is unknown. Western Desert? Italy? I am very familiar with US ranks & rates, but would have to look up the specialties of the Sergeants' chevrons in the photos to know what they represent. It's very possible that someone could match the (20) names to the ranks and figure out which artillery unit they belong to.

Along with the photos were a printed version of the 4th Indian Division Red Eagle & a cloth/felt version of the Red Eagle as worn by the men in the photographs.

I'd be very interested in your observations.

Regards