British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-17, 02:34 PM

Default 6th V.B. Kings Liverpool Regiment collars

My only purchase in the recent Bosleys sale arrived in todays post, although described as a cap badge ( and it might well have been worn as such ) it does give me a reasonably well matched pair of collars to the battalion with the collar badge that I have had for some considerable time (notwithstanding that there is a difference in the patina of the two badges.)

I think the right facing badge may well have been ( with some other Kings collars that I acquired at the same time ) part of the collection of the late Harry Usher. A picture of his Kings collection is attached and I think my original collar may well have been item 45 on the photo.

The bronze finish on particularly the right facing ( as you look at it ) badge suggests that they were worn 1902-1908.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4058.jpg (69.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4059.jpg (74.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4061.jpg (60.5 KB, 27 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 04-02-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-02-17, 02:53 PM

Peter,
Both look great,certainly the same maker.
Paul
Old 04-02-17, 04:14 PM

Very nice. I would hazard a guess that they were made by Firmin: the detail on the mane is very similar to that found on their 1896 Patt cap badges. Secondly it appears that the presence or absence of quotation marks was very much a manufacturer's quirk. Firmin always used them, Gaunt (and most other manufacturers) did not.

Regarding the date, I think this pattern of collar badges dates back to 1896. You may be thinking of an OSD dating to 1902 but surely it would be cast bronze rather than die struck. Although the regular 1895 pattern had a horse on a scroll this type with a horse on a torse was authorised on 2nd February 1896 - it is seen in a drawing in the Bent & Parker archives at the NAM (5910-271-5 p558). However, that one does not have quotation marks - but as noted, different manufacturers had very minute differences.
The collar badges with a Gothic lettering probably followed shortly thereafter - certainly used by Jennens.