British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-10, 04:48 PM

Default Help with large badge collection

As i am no expert in the field of military badges, i appeal for you help or advise.

A close friend of mine has emailed me regarding a large badge collection he has inherited from his dad. As he has no interest in cap badges he wants to sell them. He asked me to check what was right and what was wrong, however, i am out of my depth, due to my lack of knowledge and the sheer volume of them.

Is there anyone that he could show the badges to? or maybe at a push email front and reverse photos to someone? There are at least 700 plus.
Old 20-12-10, 04:58 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Where are you based mate? If East Mids or Berks Bucks I could have a look over them with a caveat that it is only my impression
Matti
Old 20-12-10, 05:01 PM

Lincolnshire, about 10 miles from sunny skeggy

If London (or poss SE) I might be able to help

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
As i am no expert in the field of military badges, i appeal for you help or advise.

A close friend of mine has emailed me regarding a large badge collection he has inherited from his dad. As he has no interest in cap badges he wants to sell them. He asked me to check what was right and what was wrong, however, i am out of my depth, due to my lack of knowledge and the sheer volume of them.

Is there anyone that he could show the badges to? or maybe at a push email front and reverse photos to someone? There are at least 700 plus.
With that amount of badges to dispose of, it might be worth just sending to an auction house so that he can find out a) whather they are 'good un's' and also b) what they are worth. This will cost him, but if they are all ok, it would be worthwhile. He may, of course, be pleasantly surpised - on the assumption that they are (mostly) genuine, and that he wants to maximise the value in what his father has left him. Shame he has no interest. He probably will one day, but by then it will be too late........
You could always try putting a "small" sample on the forum to try and see what the 'general' opinions are.
david
Old 20-12-10, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys

I mentioned the auction route to him, however, he said no because of the commission they charge the seller and the buyer. As he collects pocket watches he says he knows only too well how much auction houses profit out our hobbies.

He is not a greedy man and i get the impression that he just wants rid.
Old 20-12-10, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Stick them all on ebay at 99p each and let them find the true market value. If they are any good he will get a good price for them.
Old 20-12-10, 05:39 PM

I think Alan has the best suggestion. I'm always surprised at the results.
Old 20-12-10, 05:50 PM

Many thanks

I will tell him about listing them on ebay, if he has not got the time or patience for that i will tell him to find a dealer around here. If there is such a thing?
Old 20-12-10, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Up to him but I suspect he will come away with a fraction of the market value if he goes to a dealer. He will be lucky to find one that gives him a half of their value and will probably be offered a third once they have been 'discredited as restrikes'.
Old 20-12-10, 05:53 PM

I see what you are saying there Alan. Sounds like ebay is his best bet.
Old 20-12-10, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

To get the best price make sure that the photos are as clear as possible and show the backs as well as the fronts. This can be achieved in one photo with a Paint programme or similar. I would advertise the links to the listing on the forum if you want.
Old 20-12-10, 05:59 PM

Thanks Alan, i will let you know what he says and give you the heads up when he lists them.
Old 20-12-10, 06:20 PM

Just two points to the discussion: I'd suggest your friend take some time to think it over. Auction would be his best way of return (an auction house or Ebay). I am unsure what the UK auction house charge (35% maybe)? But if he's considering selling on Ebay, he's looking at at least 15% plus his time (taking pictures, doing the listings, mailing, follow up etc, dealing with paypal, his bank, maybe dealing with inheritance taxes, if that is the case in the UK). He may just find paying a auction house will be worth it in the end.
Old 20-12-10, 06:37 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I'm happy to potter over after Christmas as I need to go into deepest darkest Liconlshire on business.
Matti