British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-15, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Maybe it was different in Norway. When I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's everyone was collecting stamps or stickers

The point is still valid. Just substitute "stamps" for toy soldiers, marbles, pretty much anything that doesn't involve modern mechanics
Well I suppose even if it is, as David says above in post #29, that they're collecting video games or DVD's, it's still collecting. I just don't feel their interest in more serious collecting begins until their lives calm down.
Old 08-02-15, 05:51 PM

I think you have hit the nail very well indeed, I'm very aware of being one of the youngest people in any of the London salerooms on auction days, as a child in the late 1970's who was addicted to Secret Army (Juliet Hammond Hill was the first girl I ever really liked!) , Enemy At The Door, Wing's and so on, I too, would read "Commando" and was very keen on Airfix kits.
Times have changed considerably since then, not, I have to say for the better either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-squadron View Post
Sad to say that at some point in time, there was a shift from interest in war films, airfix models and commando comics to x-boxes, i phones, celebrities e.t.c. Maybe there's a few kids out there who have been inspired to collect by some of the more recent conflicts?.

Maybe we should all do our bit to try and get youngsters interested?

Andy

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 08-02-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Well I suppose even if it is, as David says above in post #29, that they're collecting video games or DVD's, it's still collecting. I just don't feel their interest in more serious collecting begins until their lives calm down.
It is valid. Video games are not collected as such.They are played then swapped for a new one. They're not valued as anything other than a quick entertainment fix. DVD's are not collected at all. Or Cd's for that matter. The majority stream films and music. Books? Forget it.

My point was that exactly; there are so many innovations and instant gratifications at their fingertips, that very few kids today take the time to sit down and read up on something, put stuff in albums, share collections, swap, etc. Which IS collecting. And I maintain that just 30 years ago, young people, myself included, were "collecting" to a degree which is not seen very often today amongst younger people. Not the least because we live in a user-society where if something's broken, get a new one instead of fixing it and objects hold little value in themselves.

Not hardcore collecting, granted, I agree more serious collecting comes in time, not the least because it costs money. But, as you point out, also because people settle down.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 08-02-15, 06:41 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think you have hit the nail very well indeed, I'm very aware of being one of the youngest people in any of the London salerooms on auction days, as a child in the late 1970's who was addicted to Secret Army (Juliet Hammond Hill was the first girl I ever really liked!) , Enemy At The Door, Wing's and so on, I too, would read "Commando" and was very keen on Airfix kits.
Times have changed considerably since then, not, I have to say for the better either.
Ahh, 'Secret Army' ... and a good old John Mills or Richard Todd War Film on a weekend was always worth watching if the weather was too foul to play outside.

There's some great comments in this thread, keep it up guys.

Andy
Old 08-02-15, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
DVD's are not collected at all.
Just a small point of order, DVD's are actually collected and forums exist to discuss the release, sale and finding of the limited runs of them. I collect them also.

Korea produces some incredible special edition sets.
Old 08-02-15, 06:59 PM

My old neighbour, prior to moving, has over 4000 dvd films
Old 08-02-15, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
Just a small point of order, DVD's are actually collected and forums exist to discuss the release, sale and finding of the limited runs of them. I collect them also.

Korea produces some incredible special edition sets.
But not collected by kids, surely?

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 08-02-15, 07:02 PM

How young is young? I'm 24, but I have what I'd say is the essential interest in history.
Old 08-02-15, 07:11 PM

Default Age

I am older than "dirt" (or feel that way, at times).
Old 08-02-15, 07:15 PM
E-squadron

I imagine there must also be fewer families these days with Fathers or Grandfathers who served in wartime; that must have had an impact on kids getting interested in collecting?. We also live in a time where celebrities and footballers are regarded as role models To quote the title of an old Stranglers tune... there's 'No More Heroes' anymore; at least not in most kids eyes

Andy
Old 08-02-15, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-squadron View Post
I imagine there must also be fewer families these days with Fathers or Grandfathers who served in wartime; that must have had an impact on kids getting interested in collecting?. We also live in a time where celebrities and footballers are regarded as role models To quote the title of an old Stranglers tune... there's 'No More Heroes' anymore; at least not in most kids eyes

Andy
I've just had a conversation with my 25 year old son about this subject and I asked why he collects (his militiaria collecting habits are far wider than mine and include weapons, WW1 postcards, helmets etc).

He says a similar thing to E Squadron. Its partly because people of older generations grew up with family members who were in the war and we were fascinated by their tales, the odd tin of badges/medals etc etc.

He also says its partly because he grew up having a Dad that lived loved military history and childhood visits to places like Bovington Tank Museum or popping into old pillboxes whilst on holiday helped to fuel his interest. He also added there weren't many kids in his class at the age of 12 who were allowed to strip down a GPMG on a Sunday afternoon!

Maybe he's like his Dad, a sad bugger!

Ivan
Old 08-02-15, 07:49 PM

most people in my little collecting circle have a connection to a WW1 or WW2 soldier - dad or granddad - that they can remember

the new generation lack these connections

auctions in NZ are populated by the over 45's generally with a lot of blokes over 65 years.

I think a lot of people come to it after 40 (like myself) as at that age they seem to have a bit of surplus income

with the WW1 centenary at hand there is massive interest in family history and family connections...whether this leads to more than collectors I doubt...most will fill up there family history with badges to go with family medals
Old 08-02-15, 08:39 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
He also says its partly because he grew up having a Dad that lived loved military history and childhood visits to places like Bovington Tank Museum or popping into old pillboxes whilst on holiday helped to fuel his interest.

Ivan
Oh yeah!, I forgot about days out to Museums (and the occasional Airshow)... wonder where the majority of parents take their kids these days. Duxford, the IWM, H.M.S Belfast and many more, all did their bit in nuturing my interest.

Another "hook" would be the local Army Cadets, in my case a detachment affiliated with the Green Howards. I'll never forget my first few shots on the range with a .22 calibre Lee Enfield, the romps through the local parks on winter nights; great memories.

Above all, it was having a Dad who'd served in the GPR that nailed it for me, and to a lesser degree my 7th Armoured Div' Uncle, a Grandfather who worked for A.V. Roe's Yeadon factory building Lancasters, a Great Uncle who served in the K.O.Y.L.I and a Great Grandfather who served in the R.F.A. There was no shortage of family members who'd done their bit and had stories to tell!.

Finally, back in my school days, we'd occasionally have someone visit and give us a talk on some subject or other. I remember one guy from the local National Trust doing just that; he also had with him some wonderful taxidermy; that was the catalyst for a life-long interest in British Wildlife. So, it just goes to show how a simple introduction to something can be all it takes to get youngsters interested.

Andy
Old 08-02-15, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
How young is young? I'm 24, but I have what I'd say is the essential interest in history.

Buck

I started on my History degree when I was 25, so that sounds about right

Colin

Old 08-02-15, 10:51 PM

Almost all of my spares, with explanation, go for free to a 7 year old local lad who is as keen as mustard. There is hope...

Rgds, Thomas.