British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-03-08, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Three Witches formation patch?

The linked image shows General H.D.G. Crerar attending an investiture at the Civic Auditorium, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 13 January 1946. (Left to right): an unidentified corporal of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC); General Crerar; an unidentified captain, probably of the Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA). Unknown. Mikan Number: 3591588
Question, what is the three witches formation patch on the RCA Captain?

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/a...61e418fc72bc1e
Old 12-03-08, 12:29 PM

The three witches patch is the IS 9(WEA) (Intelligence School No. 9 Western European Area; dealing with escapers, evaders and POW's) patch, a distant tribute to E.H. Jones’s “Road to En-Dor”. Believed to be theater-made in the liberated part of Southern Holland.
Attached to SHAEF. A combined British/American Unit 80 strong in all ranks. Part of MI 9 (Military Intelligence, escape).
The Artillery patch is from the 1st Canadian Army Artillery. What is the patch/badge halfway up his sleeve?

Last edited by fougasse1940; 12-03-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Id

Thanks for the info on the three witches patch. That confirms my previous research. The formation patch above the IS (WEA) patch) is the 1st Cdn Army AGRA, but I am not sure to which other patch you are referring? The anomally on the tunic approx even with the Sam Browne belt? It may be a wound stripe.
The identity of the officer is not known, but would be of some interest. He is wearing the army pilot's wing. And, having been at an investiture, he may have been awarded a decoration for his work with the IS (WEA). More to do.
Old 12-03-08, 09:52 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Patch

Is That So Called Patch Not A Damaged Spot On The Photograph?
Ray
Old 13-03-08, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default Possibly...

Ray, good observation, it may well be a reflection or a flaw...
Old 13-03-08, 01:59 AM

It might be a photographic flaw, to my photographically trained eyes it doesn't look like it. But the captain seems pretty well decked out, badgewise. So, if not a flaw, what could he have been wearing there?

fougasse1940.
Old 13-03-08, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Wound Stripe

The only thing that would be worn in that location on the sleeve, with a similar shape to the image, would be a wound stripe. The Canadian army issued cloth wound stripes towards the end of WW2, and they were to be worn on the lower left arm. The wound stripe was made in a gold coloured thread, which would be consistent with the image. However the location is a bit high on the arm. The wound stripe was to be 4 inches from the bottom of the sleeve or immediately above the cuff.
Old 13-05-11, 01:48 AM

Default RCA Captain bearing the "Three Witches" cloth patch on tunic sleeve

Apologies for a somewhat belated return with this intel...

The Captain in the photo was George Swan, RCA, a pilot serving in "A" Flight, 664 "AOP" Squadron, RCAF. Swan's image in this photo was positively identified (recently) by Bill Hagarty, a former AOP pilot in 664 and fellow graduate in Swan's class at #43 OTU, RAF Andover (Bill still practices Law in London, Ontario).

Swan and other members of his Flight were, indeed, issued the MI9-IS9 patch, after having flown on radio intelligence tasking from B-77 Gilze-Rijen in April, 1944. Flying the Auster V, the #22 HF (Arty) radios were removed and short-range VHF installed, for operation by Dutch officers carried over the Allied-German front. Dutch resistance members operating behind German lines were contacted from the air; intel was relayed, at great risk.

I have no idea who the Corporal in the photo is!
Old 13-05-11, 09:27 AM

In April 1944 Gilze-Rijen was still a German airfield, it didn't come into allied use until November 1944.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 28-05-11, 09:20 AM

Default Silly Mistake

That should have been April, 1945...must have been great Scotch!
Old 12-11-12, 09:24 PM
Banned

Default A Three Witches Formation sign flies into sight!

Good evening.

And for those Members seeking an example of this incredibly rare item and with very, very deep pockets I would commend Lot 69 in Spinks` forthcoming Auction of 22 November 2012. The Lot is nothing to do with me I hasten to add.

Anyone who thinks the Lot will go for the guide price is, in all probability, guilty of wishful thinking.

Give me a hallmark any day!

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 16-06-13, 01:27 PM

In having just read this fairly old thread I am posting my example of the "Three Witches" Formation Patch. It is of interest to me that it has MI-9 connection. If anyone has further information to add regarding its issue and use I would be keen to learn of it. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mi91.JPG (90.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg mi92.jpg (53.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 13-01-14, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default A Three Witches Formation sign flies into sight!

Good evening.

In one of the rare quiet moments in life I found myself, over the Christmas break, reading a well-thumbed copy of "Lost Voices of the Royal Air Force" Max Arthur. Pub. Hodder & Stoughton. 2005. (Originally published as "There shall be Wings. The RAF from 1918 to the Present.")

Page 188 includes the recollections of Flight Lieutenant Johnny Bentley. His recollection spans two pages, 188 & 189. He describes his time from March 1944 with 264 Squadron at Church Fenton flying "Mosquitoes"(sic). In March 1945 he was transferred to an airfield in Holland, together with two other RAF Flight Lieutenants.

After undertaking an air test, their role was "...to fly three Dutch officers into occupied Holland and parts of Germany so that they could communicate by radio with the local resistance, and bring back vital information. This operation was named Blackmail."

He goes on to explain that the Dutch Officer in each 'plane was communicating by radio with the Resistance on the ground below. There were, according to his description, three Dutch Officers named as Jaap Ludolph, Leo Fleskins and Hilda Bergsma.

And here is where it gets interesting: he goes on to say...." On their uniforms they wore a cloth badge with three witches."

Neither Bentley, nor the Author, seem to have appreciated the significance of this observation.

Aren't books wonderful things?

Or, is owning a book a mark of elitism? Discuss.

Enjoy.

S.T.

Last edited by Silver Tourist; 29-01-14 at 09:35 PM. Reason: An error in punctuation: bother!
Old 14-01-14, 06:27 AM

Default The Witches of Endor

Those interested in learning more - try this:

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...g98/Dutch.html

Mike
Old 14-01-14, 11:37 AM

Very interesting ST, also superb link Mike, much appreciated. regards, Clive.