British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-11, 03:11 AM

Default Nanaimo Independent Company

I spoke to Robert Lambert at Nanaimo Museum about this badge some time ago, which the museum has a copy of; the unit was raised by a Captain J.V.E. 'Edward' Carpenter, who had extensive military service dating back to before 1899 and plenty of influence in Nanaimo and district.

Speaking of 'obscure' units, does anyone know if the "Independent Company of Rifles" in Grand Forks, British Columbia have a badge issued? The information I have on this unit (other than "organized 1 April, 1913 - disbanded April 15, 1920") appears incomplete.
Old 23-03-11, 04:42 PM

Default Kootenay Rifles

According to Bill Bone's work, there was no badge for The Independent Company of Rifles.

For The Kootenay Rifles, I have the following General Order, although I have never seen any of the badges.

G.O. 153
July 1908

DRESS REGULATIONS FOR THE CANADIAN MILITIA, 1907.

Kootenay Rifles. –Badges as described hereunder are authorized: -

“Helmet Badge.”

A bronze oval perpendicular 3 inches by 2 ΒΌ Inches surmounted by a Tudor Crown and surrounding an Elk’s head with antlers – Inscribed upon the upper curve of the oval the designation of the Corps “The Kootenay Rifles.” Upon the lower curve of oval a wreath of six maple leaves.

“Cap and Collar Badge.”
To be a bronze Elk head 1 inch in height.
(H.Q. 7-102-7.)

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 24-03-11 at 10:45 PM.

Tags
nanaimo