British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-11, 07:22 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I am slightly confused (nothing usual there then) about this badge. Was it only ever in g/m or is the bi-metal pattern also valid?

K&K say:

3rd County of London (Sharp Shooters)
(2) Crossed rifles surmounted by an Imperial crown. Below a scroll inscribed 'Sharpshooters'. For other-ranks. In gilding metal [Fig.1363].'

Whereas...

F. Wilkinson - Badges of the British Army 1820-1960, says:

'[Fig.406] - Sharpshooters BI'

I am wondering if some of the braver forum members might have examples of this badge (g/m & bi-metal) for us to tear to pieces, please?

Peter.
Any thoughts on this, gents?

Peter.
Old 03-06-11, 07:26 PM

Hi Peter,
Well done on spotting this, interesting that the b/m version is in the 1st edition of Wilkinson's book 1969 & not in K&K 1973 ! Assuming that 1969 was meant to be pre most of all the restikes I'd say it has to be a valid badge, just because it's not mentioned in K&K doesn't mean it's a fake in my mind. I know the supposed first of the restrikes was the w/m King Edward's Horse in 1968 so it does predate Wilkinsons, but there you go, my opinion only !!!!
Wilf.
Old 03-06-11, 08:33 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Hi Peter,
Well done on spotting this, interesting that the b/m version is in the 1st edition of Wilkinson's book 1969 & not in K&K 1973 ! Assuming that 1969 was meant to be pre most of all the restikes I'd say it has to be a valid badge, just because it's not mentioned in K&K doesn't mean it's a fake in my mind. I know the supposed first of the restrikes was the w/m King Edward's Horse in 1968 so it does predate Wilkinsons, but there you go, my opinion only !!!!
Wilf.
Wilf,

Thanks for picking this up.

Very interesting to have your thoughts on this, especially as it is a badge whose characteristics I am not over-familiar with.

I think the Endici badge is possibly not the best example we could have had for reference purposes; I was kind of hoping one or two members might have been able to assist us. Still time yet, though.

Thanks again,

PJ
Old 03-06-11, 10:02 PM
Banned

Hi gents,

An interesting thread, I agree that there can be little doubt that the first badge in this thread is a cast copy of the Bi Metal badge also featured, when or why is anyone's guess.

I am intrigued by the Bi Metal badge though, the rivet arrangement on the overlay is unusual as has been stated, though I personally wouldn't write the badge off due to this alone. If the copy is old then it would stand to reason that this fixing method was used on the original badge that it was cast from.

The thing that doesn't add up though is that if this is such a rare original badge, why Marlows and not Bosleys?
Surely it would have been a star lot in a Bosleys auction so was there doubt?

I suppose that unless another Bi Metal example with provenance turns up we'll never know.

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 03-06-11, 10:25 PM

Looks like we're all waiting for someone to post that elusive badge then !! Must be some out there if it was made !!
Wilf.
Old 05-06-11, 04:49 PM

Old 05-06-11, 07:55 PM

Good evening.

This is getting very serious.

I would like to be silly now..........permission granted.......be silly.

I think the rivets aren't rivets at all, they are very small calibre rounds that hit the badge and stuck in it due to the excellent construction of the bi metal badge.

Because the original had to be returned to stores, a cast copy was made as a reminder.

Thank you and regards

Brian
Old 05-06-11, 07:57 PM

Peter

Excellent specimens and thanks for posting...............are they original?

Regards
Brian
Old 05-06-11, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

Two of these in the last Bosley's postal auction - is this (bimetal) one of them?
Old 06-06-11, 01:10 PM
Peter J

Just out of interest, at the time of writing this (just over nine hours before end of auction), I see that the Endici Sharpshooters badge is now up to £118!

All the best to any members who may be among the four current bidders.

PJ
Old 06-06-11, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Just out of interest, at the time of writing this (just over nine hours before end of auction), I see that the Endici Sharpshooters badge is now up to £118!

All the best to any members who may be among the four current bidders.

PJ
I've just noticed. What worries me is that I can't believe the auctioneers at source would offload that badge in a job lot in their less prestigious auctions. I don't mean that I doubt it's come from them but surely offering it in one of their single lot sales would have been more suitable. Food for thought?

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 06-06-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Before we all start swooning over this badge, just take a pause, it is not of a standard other ranks construction, sweat holes and overlays would be the norm and not pinned/riveted! If it is an officers badge then it is of rather poor quality, from a period when "Fine" badges were produced!!! For me this is a copy and not a badge I would even consider placing a bid on! K&K state Gm for ORs badges, I fully appreciate that they are not always spot on, but I am of the opinion that this Bim offering is a high class fake!

Andy
Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914

3rd County of London (Sharpshooters)

by L Barlow & R J Smith

PeterA
Old 07-06-11, 07:48 AM

I am not a passionate collector of British Military Badges. I do however have a very keen interest in my old regiment, 3/4 CLY(Sharpshooters), and have collected memorabilia, including badges, for some ten years since early retirement. I am also interested in the fake Sharpshooter badges at the right price.

Here are three examples of the early Collar badge in Brass, Silver and Black Sheradizing. All bear the witness marks of two rivets and the shadow of the detached silver scroll. All in my view were cast from the same 'pattern'. That 'pattern', also in my view, was an original officer's bi-metal collar as per the ebay badge and the illustration in my previous post. See also the style of riveting fixing in the ultra rare Mess Jacket badge that I illustrated earlier but do not own. All three badges are post production copies either 'in the field' or most probably pure fakes for the collector's market.

The ebay badge in question may well be a high class fake as Andy has suggested but it is the first to surface to my knowledge. Unless they start to come to market with regularity in the future, I lean strongly to this being an original...that is why I bought it.

PeterA

Old 07-06-11, 05:09 PM

Thankyou Peter A for posting your pics & for the info, much appreciated. Also interesting to see badge 9 on the page you show, not being mentioned as a collar badge too, do you know if this is the case ? Congratulations on winning the ebay badge, let us know how it compares to your others when you get it ! Cheers again,
Wilf.
Old 08-06-11, 12:18 AM

"Sheradizing" is new to me, could you please elaborate?

Rgds,
Thomas.