British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-15, 04:37 PM

I have really enjoyed viewing Nyles' collection of firearms and hope he will post more because the quality of his images are excellent. There are plenty of ex-servicemen like myself on the forum who will quite happily drool over these gems.

I will long remember the day I visited the Small Arms Museum in Warminster during my time at RAC Demo Sqn.

Does that make me a hoplophiliac?

If anyone has any objections to the images being posted here may I suggest you show politeness and not criticise the images in public but rather report the posts you don't like to the moderators and they will make a decision on whether the posts are suitable for the forum or not.

More than anything I hate to see people whinging on open forum. It's so unbecoming.
Old 03-02-15, 07:09 PM
E-squadron

Thanks for showing these fella.

My fave would be "Big Boris", I thought it was a Boys AT rifle at first; until I checked on google images and had my memory refreshed for me.

I'll say this respectfully to those who don't like your post. I can count at least 42 sub-forums on the BBF where insignia is the main topic of conversation. If badges are your thing then that's great, but please don't resort to putting down a new member who's obviously taken time out to photograph these wonderful bits of history for us

Andy
Old 03-02-15, 07:21 PM

Talking

I do like guns and own one myself, but it does say The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. Can members not read.
Andy
Old 03-02-15, 07:23 PM

If it was the salvation army badge collectors Forum I could see a reason to whine a bit.

Last edited by magpie; 03-02-15 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 07:56 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
but it does say The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum Andy
You're confusing the title of the main forum with that of a sub-forum ("other militaria").

Andy
Old 07-02-15, 09:12 PM

Well, obviously I've stumbled on an area of some controversy - apologies to all that were offended. I'm an Afghanistan veteran myself and to be honest I don't see how you can separate military weapons from any other area of militaria collecting, but I didn't join this forum to piss people off. How about my (IMHO less impressive) WW2 Canadian badge collection as a peace offering?

Thanks very much for the kind words from all those who do enjoy military firearms. You're welcome to poke around my photobucket account to see more - fair warning, it's pretty disorganised.

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Nyles303/library/
Old 07-02-15, 10:28 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'm an Afghanistan veteran myself
Thank you for your service

Andy
Old 08-02-15, 02:33 PM

I know you're not here to cause bother Nyles. I'm sorry you got it from some of the less tolerant members. Please accept my apology and that's one from someone else who also served. We're far from being unique in that position in here.
Old 08-02-15, 07:11 PM

I enjoyed your pictures, some really nice stuff there. I'd welcome seeing more and as long as they are on the "Other Militaria" thread I cannot see what the problem is.
Eddie
Old 08-02-15, 08:45 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
I'd welcome seeing more and as long as they are on the "Other Militaria" thread I cannot see what the problem is.
Eddie
I'm tempted to dig out my MKIII Sten

Andy
Old 08-02-15, 11:13 PM

Awesome hardware Nyles! Would love to see a few more pics of your Sniper Rifle. Matching numbers? Any other history with it?

Cheers
Old 09-02-15, 01:52 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I'm a little saddened at some of the negative posts but not surprised ! when you have laid in bed wondering if your heart was going to give up the ghost, believe me, reading and writing about guns is almost insignificant ! does it really matter that much ?

I wonder if the same members will react any differently when a bayonet or a knife is mentioned and what about vehicles or caps and helmets, they cannot be classed as badges but just about everyone has something positive to say about them ?

In fact, my holy grail has been for the past few years, the SLR rifle, I liked it when I used it and I would like one now but that doesn't detract from anything I say or do about badges ??

Too many purists spoil the broth ???

Dave.
Old 09-02-15, 02:03 PM

I can certainly think of times when an SLR would have been useful; or even an SMG.

I get vivid and repetitive dreams about using an SMG. I'm shooting at an enemy with one and I can see the bullets flying through the air and bouncing off the chap I'm aiming at and I consciously wishing I had an SLR because I know that won't bounce off.

Make what you will of that - isn't PTSD funny?
Old 09-02-15, 03:59 PM

WARNING...! If you are easily offended please do NOT read this post and look way

Hi Gents,

I too have very fond memories of the SLR, a really cracking rifle. I always wanted one too but I recall the restrictions introduced in the mid 1980's and realized I would have to let that dream go (in standard configuration) or so I thought...!

However! And at the risk of offending all and sundry a couple of years back I had a custom one built for me by a manufacturer here in the US who specialized in producing modern versions of the SLR (known here as the FAL). I don't shoot much, I guess I'm just more of a collector than shooter but I must confess I love this rifle, to me it is a work of art. See photos attached.

Cheers, Roy.

P.s. Two posts above - Very well said Dave, couldn't agree more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (48.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (120.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (77.0 KB, 52 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com

Last edited by Roy; 09-02-15 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 04:33 PM

The pic of the SMLE Rifle No 4 brings back happy memories!

What a super rifle! The best bolt action magazine rifle ever made anywhere plus the benefit of a 10 round magazine with practically all other makes of the period had 5 round magazines. The rifle had perfect balance with great accuracy.

In my old infantry Regiment the slide back sight was replaced with a screw back sight which was a great improvement for spot-on shooting. If I remember correctly, a click per 25 yards.

Another advantage was the availability of 3 different butt lengths from the Company Stores. They really thought of accurate shooting in those days, when Bisley was in its heyday! Days long ago.

The SLR rifle? OMG! It did nothing for me.

The No. 4 rifle with telescope in the pic above, or similar (it looks identical) was issued to the Sniper Section based with the weapon training platoon. They were good shots but I beat most to them when I was Runner-up one year in a Regimental Rifle Shoot, on the basis of which I joined the Rifle Team.
Days not forgotten! Thanks for reminding me!