British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-13, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Default Deactivated .303

Anyone into firearms? if I wanted to buy a WW1 dated SMLE .303, what dealers would be recommended? I'm obviously looking for a fair price on a good condition item.
Old 28-06-13, 07:31 PM

Farnham have guy's selling deacts. You will pay less for a newly deactivated one than one none in the early 90's.
Irv
Old 28-06-13, 07:58 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Mike,

My local fair is held a couple of times a year at the Birmingham Motor Cycle Museum, near to Elmdon ( B'Ham ) Airport ??

Tables with badges are outnumbered by arms sellers by at least four to one and it gets jam packed, might be worth a visit ???

Dave.
Old 28-06-13, 08:29 PM

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/de...uns/cat_2.html
Old 28-06-13, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
I don't think they have any in stock. Neither do Ryton arms but they are offering deac metalwork, receivers and barrels complete that you can add your own woodwork to for a made up rifle.

I've seen some really ropey examples at the fairs in the last ten years, some at silly prices but there are nice examples to be found if you are patient.

I should imagine that demand will be increasing with the anniversary of the Great War approaching.

Milweb classifieds often have them for sale so maybe worth a look there?

Ry
Old 28-06-13, 08:46 PM

Must admit I've been after a No.4 .410 for a while and I just can't find a nice example.

Tom
Old 28-06-13, 09:23 PM
Banned

I've never seen a No 4 - .410 Tom but have always had a fancy for the SMLE version.

I've owned a deac No1 MK111* which I was fond of and I came very close once about 44 years ago to being the proud owner of the plastic toy version. The vote on that one didn't go in my favour that day and I've only ever seen one other since.

I believe they were made by Airfix and no doubt you could finance a nice .410 if you found one of these still in the box in your loft. I read on a website site recently that a small quantity of some thing similar to the Airfix ones were found in a novelty shop in NZ I think and they were snapped up pretty quick.

I had the pleasure of shooting both the SMLE and N04 .303 about 18 months ago at Bisley, something I had always wanted to do and it was a real treat

Regards

Ry
Old 28-06-13, 09:28 PM

Afaik, The no.4 .410 was primarily made in Lahore, for riot control, and some were made officially in Australia as snake guns, however many were utilised to allow them to be held on a section 2 for re-enactors (however all I have seen are DP marked ones I wouldn't trust to put a shotgun round through...).

I must admit down on century, open sights on the .303 is something magical, it's lovely... I got conned there by some bugger, he gave me an AK47 and forgot to tell me the thing was not a single shot :/ got one shot on target :/

ATB,
Tom
Old 28-06-13, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Must admit I've been after a No.4 .410 for a while and I just can't find a nice example.

Tom
Here's a nice SMLE .410 conversion and not a bad price - but wrong country for you Tom. No doubt would be a pain to import to the UK... Good dealer, I've had some nice Enfields off him in the past. Cheers, Ian.

http://www.collectorssource.com/lee-...-rif-1936.html
Old 28-06-13, 11:05 PM
Banned

Sounds like fun Tom!

Mike,

you can pick up a fairly decent late Great War deac for a shade under £400 at the fairs but don't expect it to have matching serial numbers or to be anything exotic.

The first add on the Milweb deacs page is offering what looks to be a large selection with mag cut offs for not too far over the lower end of the price scale, whereas the seller in the link below has more sought after offerings that are at the higher end of it. Whatever you settle on, make sure your confirm exactly what you are buying and have it looked at by someone who knows a bit about them to make sure it is the beast that it claims to be.

http://www.battleflagmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php

Ry
Old 28-06-13, 11:06 PM

Heres how you do it

http://www.gundealer.net/import.htm

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 28-06-13, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Here's a nice SMLE .410 conversion and not a bad price - but wrong country for you Tom. No doubt would be a pain to import to the UK... Good dealer, I've had some nice Enfields off him in the past. Cheers, Ian.

http://www.collectorssource.com/lee-...-rif-1936.html
I don't think it's a "conversion", I think that's a genuine Ishapore riot gun But your right a pain to import £391 not too bad, I'm looking at 3-350 Ilike the idea of busting clays with a rifle Just to annoy the snob brigade where I shoot Thanks, beautiful example

I plan soon to visit the states and do a bit of gun shopping while there I can get a lvoely gun or two for half of what I'd pay here

Tom
Old 28-06-13, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the advice and links guys.

Quote:
you can pick up a fairly decent late Great War deac for a shade under £400 at the fairs but don't expect it to have matching serial numbers or to be anything exotic.

Ry, does this mean that most have had parts swapped around with other rifles, so it's rare to get a complete matching one ?

I see I'm going to have to do some more homework before I do anything!
Old 28-06-13, 11:54 PM
Administrator

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/de.../prod_682.html

looked ok, '1916' too, but sold at £395.
Old 29-06-13, 08:57 AM
Administrator

There are quite a few websites starting to ramp the 100 anniversary of the Great War. 'Buy now before prices jump in 2014' or similar statements.

I'm sceptical with the sort of economic environment we are in now, but you never know, once the BBC starts ramping everyone might want a piece of the 'Great War'

Silver lining is that your WW1 badge collection will be worth more. Also I'm sure the restrike sellers will make a killing from the great unwashed as well.