British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-08, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I am sure that S Sgt Edwards was in fact Denis Edwards co author of the book you mention but I am less than sure that what he told you was correct.

P.B.
P.S. when I knew Denis which I think was in the 1970`s he had left the army and lived, from memory, in Prestatyn, he used to stand at the fairs in Chester and visited the MHS meetings occasionaly at the Liverpool Museum. I seem to recall he had a large van at one time, in which the badges he had were stored- happy days
That's the bloke! I met him at Kinmel around the time I joined up in 1973. I lived in Colwyn Bay at the time and visited Kinmel regularly with the ACF.

I must admit that I've never seen that explanation elsewhere, but I do recall meeting blokes from the QDG and 17/21 L wearing the chrome badges. they were always on the lookout for proper w/m badges as replacements
Old 18-04-08, 04:12 PM

Petriburg,

I have just realised we are talking about 35 years ago and it only seems like yesterday.

Amongst the other people who used to attend the Liverpool Branch (MHS)meetings were Graham Maddocks ( author of the Liverpool Pals book ).Tim Ashley- a very well known Kings Liverpool collector, Bob Bragg- co -author- "Parachute Badges and Insignia of the World"., Lt.Col.Tony Moore- 5th Kings and author of a number of articles on the Kings Liverpools- all now sadly gone

There was also Dennis Reeves,curator of the the Liverpool Scottish Museum and thankfully still occupying that position, plus others who`s names I cannot remember.
What a small world and how time flies.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-07-08, 07:42 PM

I just have one of these . It is a white metal Lincolnshire Regiment.
Old 15-10-08, 08:49 AM

I can tell you about KLR cap badges in WM.
1st VBn (later 5th TF) wore BM
2nd VBn (6th TF)wore Blk GM
5th (8th TF), 6th (9th TF)and 7th VBns (stayed the same) all wore WM

5th Bn were at first (1908) confused as to whether they were wearing WM or Blk GM for Walking Out or for SD - they certainly did have both 1908-1914 (they get more complicated later on)
7th Bn appear to have worn WM for everything (ie WO and SD), no evidence that they ever wore anything else - except during the 1st WW when they wore regular BM.
9th Bn - interestingly, the notion that they also wore WM turns out to be wrong, they wore BM for WO and SD for their entire existence.
(I have full documentation for all this)
AND just to repeat for the 100th time, the 10th Bn (Lpl Scot) NEVER wore a BM (glengarry) badge.
Old 15-10-08, 04:32 PM

Default Liverpool Scottish

Julian, thanks for your information on the Kings. I have never heard of a bi-metal Liverpool Scottish, is this a "fantasy badge"?
Old 15-10-08, 06:16 PM

Complete fantasy !!!!! It has a WM horse on a GM saltire. Even noted in K&K and Bloomer ! Often said to be an NCO's badge !
Old 16-10-08, 04:55 PM

Default Loop Positions

As I said earlier in this thread about the two loops on the white metal Royal Warwickshire being placed low down on the badge and thoughts that it would tilt forward when worn on a cap, further to this I have just acquired a small collection of badges,all needing new loops or sliders. Among them is a QC officers Gilt Royal Artillery badge. The loops on this badge were placed low down on the scrolls, the badge being bent round and the queens crown bent forwards, presumably this was to fit the cap.

So maybe if these two loop badges were bent to fit a cap they would not fall forward.
Old 16-10-08, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

There is usually a third lug on the top half of the badge. The same 3 prong layout is on the Offrs Bz badges.

Alan
Old 16-10-08, 09:36 PM

Default Loops

I agree entirely Alan, the two badges that I mentioned pre WWI and post 1953 seem to be the exception to the rule, poor design as other British badges such as 1st pattern RAC without bracing bar, 5th Royal Irish Lancers, 9th Lancers, I could go on and no doubt you could add to it.
Old 17-10-08, 05:57 AM

Hi,
cannot reason the RW badge having only the 2 lower lugs, but........ there is a 'Chunky' Canadian WW2 version of the basic Artillery badge (with the Ubique top scroll) that I have only ever seen with the 2 lugs on the bottom scrolls. All of this type seem to be definitely & genuinely made this way ! Like you I always assumed it would tilt forward,but if fitted to a thick cap band ,then it may not ?
I also have the same Gilt QC version you mention,intact,and yes it does tilt forward on my thinner cardboard & felt covered display board.Most annoying!And has never been bent,is in 'as issued' condition.
Has never had a top lug.
May be a direction to look at?(with the Artillery ones,at least)
Think I've seen some Kiwi ones like this also.Will do some investigating there .

Cheers !
Steve (NZ)

Tags
tf badges, walking out, white metal