British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-08, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy McGinty View Post
Jeanpit,

There was no Border Regt economy issue of badges from WW1 or any other badge made entirely out of white metal for that matter inc: RWK, RI Rifles, Rifle Brigade, DLI, all the WM scots etc.

Cheers,

Luke
but in GAYLOR appendix about all-brass issue badges , the border is in..
and in the COX, only a more little size in gild....

all the books dont dont say the same things.....

thanks,
Old 22-03-08, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpit-frenchy View Post
but in GAYLOR appendix about all-brass issue badges , the border is in..
and in the COX, only a more little size in gild....

all the books dont dont say the same things.....

thanks,

I'm afraid Gaylor lies (quite unintentionally)... if you read what he writes before listing the badges you'll see he states 'no official list survives' (which it actually untrue, one does and our forums very own KLR (Julian) is privy to it) so the list was compiled from what a group of (good) collectors had in their possesions.

I didn't say brass badges to the aforementioned regiments don't exist as they do... I even own a couple examples but they were never produced as an economy production measure.

You are right though so many 'reference' books to our hobby are very contradictory.

Cheers

Luke
Old 22-03-08, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Gaylor's list is odd in many ways and entirely untrustworthy being based on heresay as to collectors holdings without an inspection of whether they were true economy, offrs, cast, collars, commercial, pals bns etc etc. What is noticeable is the absence of the Ox and Bucks LI.

Yet a stringed bugle horn in brass exists. My guess would be that no collector listed it in his economy holdings as they all preferred to leave it in the more expensive and desireable yeomanry section.

K&K mention in the cavalry section where Hugh King's collection presumably held a cavalry all brass version but is noticably absent on the infantry chapter which is a real shame.

Just a thought

Alan
Old 06-04-08, 12:39 PM

Here is an example how people are getting ripped off by full size collars being sold as cap badges.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=016
Sold for £103 some fools and their money are soon parted.

Here is my genuine cap badge, the centre piece is pinned through to the back under the blades.

Cheers
Malc

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-04-08, 03:25 PM

This is my example, even with broken blade, still a good badge. I still may get it fixed & re bronzed yet, will post pics if I do, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img445.jpg (94.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg img446.jpg (82.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-04-08, 04:25 PM

Default Bz 4th Royal Irish Dragoon guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post
Here is an example how people are getting ripped off by full size collars being sold as cap badges.

Here is my genuine cap badge, the centre piece is pinned through to the back under the blades.

Cheers
Malc
Come on malc share your knowledge with us all ,the badge on E-bay a Collar or cap badge ! Why. I have the other versions Ie 4th R.I Dragoon Guards in Sil/Gilt, and Bronze . Both made by J&Co with Lugs. I will post them on the site on my return to the uk for Forums remaks.
Mybe I have 2 collar badges !!!!!!!!!

3748 Hussar
Old 07-04-08, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar View Post
Come on malc share your knowledge with us all ,the badge on E-bay a Collar or cap badge ! Why. I have the other versions Ie 4th R.I Dragoon Guards in Sil/Gilt, and Bronze . Both made by J&Co with Lugs. I will post them on the site on my return to the uk for Forums remaks.
Mybe I have 2 collar badges !!!!!!!!!

3748 Hussar
As I understand OSD cap badges had blades whereas the collar badges (being the same size as cap badges) were lugged. If both your badges have lugs I'd say from how I understand things the the moment that your have two collar dogs which were also marked by the makers sometimes.

Luke
Old 07-04-08, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
This is my example, even with broken blade, still a good badge. I still may get it fixed & re bronzed yet, will post pics if I do, Wilf.
That's a really nice one Wilf well made, great tone and quality construction.

I noticed that yours is constructed different to Malcs, do either of you know whether this was a makers variation or is indicative of age?

Cheers,

Luke
Old 07-04-08, 04:57 PM

Default 4th R.I Dragoon Guards

Ive managed to find them on my laptop . Looking for the 4th Royal ID Guards will post this to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 1.JPG (36.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg No 2.JPG (47.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg No 3.JPG (35.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg n0 4.JPG (41.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-04-08, 05:06 PM

Default 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post

Cheers
Malc

Hi Malc,
I see the centre piece is pinned under the blades on your example . How is the title on yours attached Glued ?

3748 Hussar

Last edited by 3748 Hussar; 07-04-08 at 05:08 PM. Reason: wrong details
Old 07-04-08, 05:11 PM

Default 4 th IDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post

Hi Wilf
looking at your example the scroll dosn't seem right to me. How is it attached its not quite officer quaility too me . Again I might be wrong.

3748 Hussar
Old 07-04-08, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ive managed to find them on my laptop . Looking for the 4th Royal ID Guards will post this to.
Tony,

They're absolutely lovely lovely badges, the gilts silver one I think is especially nice but from what I've learnt on the forum I would say with my initial statement that they are collar badges in stead of caps.

But I think this arguement has similarities to that of the KOYLI cap and collar badges, its not beyond the realms of possibility that a collar may have been worn as a cap since there are no distinguishable differences and photos of the time do indeed not show the fixings present on the back of the badge.

I think the point Malc was trying to make is that people are getting done and paying over the odds for a badge which isn't really what it says on the tin, however when its in a display case who can tell??? So to be honest unless your after a collar and cap trio does it really matter if your example of a badge has lugs instead of blades - I suppose it depends how 'purist' a collector.

I'd still love both badges just the same regardless of if they were originally made to be collar or cap badges.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 07-04-08, 05:54 PM

Default 4th R.I dragoon guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy McGinty View Post
Tony,

They're absolutely lovely lovely badges, the gilts silver one I think is especially nice but from what I've learnt on the forum I would say with my initial statement that they are collar badges in stead of caps.

But I think this arguement has similarities to that of the KOYLI cap and collar badges, its not beyond the realms of possibility that a collar may have been worn as a cap since there are no distinguishable differences and photos of the time do indeed not show the fixings present on the back of the badge.

I think the point Malc was trying to make is that people are getting done and paying over the odds for a badge which isn't really what it says on the tin, however when its in a display case who can tell??? So to be honest unless your after a collar and cap trio does it really matter if your example of a badge has lugs instead of blades - I suppose it depends how 'purist' a collector.

I'd still love both badges just the same regardless of if they were originally made to be collar or cap badges.

Cheers,

Luke
Hi Luke ,
Thank you for your comments , Just to open another can of worms ! Sil/Gilt with blades ? yes they do exsist I have a number of Cav badges with this fixing . Gen I know they are Lugged.
Info ***These badges came from Bosleys ***I can't tell you when yrs ago.

3748 Hussar
Old 07-04-08, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Hi Luke ,
Thank you for your comments , Just to open another can of worms ! Sil/Gilt with blades ? yes they do exsist I have a number of Cav badges with this fixing . Gen I know they are Lugged.
Info ***These badges came from Bosleys ***I can't tell you when yrs ago.

3748 Hussar
Ah it appears you may have caught me and my relative lack of OSD knowledge, I believe you are correct from memory most silver gilt badges which I've seen do have lugs and generally not blades. This really isn't my field though as I'm an OR infantry man so am out of my depth a bit. Malc is the man here.

But I can still appreciate a beautiful badge when I see one, and I really do like your S/G 4th RIDG.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 07-04-08, 06:51 PM

3748 & Paddy,
Yes, different to Malc's, not marked for starters. You're right about the scroll, but under the eyeglass you can see it's been properly brazed on, like someone trying to do a proper job, not tacked on with silver solder !! From the consistency of the patina all over I'd have to say it was made that way. Only thing is, the scroll hangs down lower on the right than the left. But I think when it was nicely bronzed it would have looked like a good officers badge in the cap, as like the lugged badges, the reverse would not have been seen. I'd still be keen to know if there's any more like mine out there !!
All the best,
Wilf.
P.S Excellent badges 3748, top quality, lovely to see them, thanks.