British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-13, 10:08 AM

They are indeed being processed in a priority order:

1. Surviving veterans
2. Widows of veterans
3. Next of kin

Yes, demand appears to have been a surprise - I always thought that David Cameron's publicly stated estimate of how many there would be issued was way too low.

Last heard, I did not hear that the first two groups had been 'finished' - far from it.
Old 10-12-13, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
They are indeed being processed in a priority order:

1. Surviving veterans
2. Widows of veterans
3. Next of kin

Yes, demand appears to have been a surprise - I always thought that David Cameron's publicly stated estimate of how many there would be issued was way too low.

Last heard, I did not hear that the first two groups had been 'finished' - far from it.
It always baffles me however when it takes HMG so long to strike and award these campaign medals which in my opinion should have been awarded in 1945. Bomber command springs to mind straight away as also being neglected. A casualty rate only surpassed by German U Boat crews and they went unrecognised for 60+ years. Shocking.
Old 10-12-13, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I've just finished reading a book which featured the experiences of sailors on the arctic convoys quite heavily.
What's the title of the book, please?
GTB
Old 10-12-13, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
What's the title of the book, please?
GTB
The book is called Blitz Kids and the author is Sean Longden. It's about the experiences of children during WW2 and features many stories about boy sailors and marines who were still allowed to join up at age 14. Some joined younger. There are also many children featured who joined other branches of the forces under age. There's quite a bit of detail about events they were individually involved with, including a number of very descriptive pieces about the arctic convoys and other maritime happenings.

I picked it up in the local library. I've enjoyed the read immensely and I've learned quite a few things I didn't know, especially about the poor state of civil defence.
Old 10-12-13, 02:34 PM

Thanks
GTB
Old 07-03-14, 01:01 AM

Finally received the medal today. Now have to get his medals mounted, plan to put in a frame with his pic. Cheers Brian
Old 07-03-14, 08:23 AM

I've got mixed feelings on this , as I have about the Bomber Command one as much as I appreciate the danger they were in , and am eternally grateful that I didn't have to do it, I wonder how many other service man and women feel that it diminishes the value, not monetary, of their awards. For example do the Tobruk veteran deserve an additional medal to the Africa Star or did Battle of Britain fighter pilots receive an additional one? As I say I'm not trivialising the medals, just wondering where it stops
Old 07-03-14, 08:46 AM

The Arctic was a separate theatre

GTB
Old 27-04-14, 12:34 AM

done

Last edited by barriefield-brian; 28-04-14 at 12:27 AM.
Old 27-04-14, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I've got mixed feelings on this , as I have about the Bomber Command one as much as I appreciate the danger they were in , and am eternally grateful that I didn't have to do it, I wonder how many other service man and women feel that it diminishes the value, not monetary, of their awards. For example do the Tobruk veteran deserve an additional medal to the Africa Star or did Battle of Britain fighter pilots receive an additional one? As I say I'm not trivialising the medals, just wondering where it stops
It never stops, it's worse here.
Old 27-04-14, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
No single WWI or WWII land battle was awarded a specific medal or bar and all were covered by a 'theatre star'

Air Crew engaged in the Battle of Britain between 10 July and 31 October 1940 were awarded the clasp ‘Battle of Britain’ to be worn on the ribbon of the 1939 to 1945 Star.

Fighter, Coastal & Bomber Command Air Crew had already been awarded the 'Air Crew Europe' or 'Atlantic' Star or Clasp dependant on which star had been earned first!

Artic Convoys had been awarded the Atlantic Star, but agree it was indeed a different 'Theatre of Operations'

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 27-04-14 at 02:05 AM.
Old 30-04-14, 07:11 PM

Default Officially recognized in Canada

Veterans Affairs Canada announced today that it is officially recognizing the award of the Arctic Star.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=844189

British Arctic Star now a recognized military honour in Canada
Reference N14032E

April 30, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Veterans Affairs Canada

The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today announced that Canada’s eligible Veterans can now wear the Arctic Star in conjunction with other Second World War honours.

On the recommendation of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, recently accepted the addition of the British Arctic Star to the Canadian Order of Precedence. This will allow Canadians who participated in the Arctic convoys during the Second World War to accept and wear the new honour.

The Arctic Star, a military honour unveiled by the Government of the United Kingdom in 2012, is granted for operational service of any length north of the Arctic Circle from September 3, 1939, to May 8, 1945. It is available to all Commonwealth Forces including Canada.

Applications can be printed online. To receive a copy of the application form or more information on the Arctic Star, contact Veterans Affairs Canada by calling, toll free, 1-866-522-2122 or by sending an e-mail to awards-citations@vac-acc.gc.ca.

Quick Facts
The Arctic Star commemorates and recognizes the particular severity of the conditions experienced by those who served in the Arctic during the Second World War.
During the Second World War, Allied convoys sailed across the Arctic Ocean to deliver vital supplies to Russia. Commonly known as the Murmansk Run, ships departed from North American ports and sailed to the northern Soviet Union in an effort to assist them in their fight against Germany. Many Canadians served on these ships.

Quotes
"Canadian Veterans of the Second World War who served as part of the convoys in the Arctic endured extreme and gruelling conditions. I am pleased that their efforts are being officially recognized and honoured with the Arctic Star medal in Canada."

The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs
"The Royal Navy is delighted that the brave men of the Canadian Armed Forces who fought valiantly alongside their Royal Navy cousins during the bitterly cold and dangerous Arctic convoys are being awarded the recognition they so duly deserve."

– 30 –
Old 27-04-17, 01:44 PM

Default Artic Star Medal.

Dear Friends.

I am delighted to say that my Uncle namely Cyril Champion is to be officially honoured with the presentation of his Artic Star Medal tomorrow 28th April 2017 by the new Lt. Governor of Jersey Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton and in attendance with the Bailiff of Jersey Mr William Bailhache.

As the medal was sent directly to him some three weeks ago it will not be a presentation as such as in effect he already has the medal in his position.

This being the case I had the medal and his other three medals that were still in the OHMS brown box they were delivered in some 70 years ago court mounted for him.

Not many of these guys left and he was only 17 when he went to sea on the Artic Convoys to Russia.

Thought I would just show the medals as they are now and as he will were them tomorrow.

Well done all those who served and I hope many of the descendants who are still waiting for this medal have success in the near future.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyril Champions WWII Medals 004.jpg (79.2 KB, 23 views)