British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-16, 12:39 PM

I should, it's on my to do list, I will have a look at Stratford on Sunday, as long as someone willing and able bodied will help me, as although I know with the 1st pattern what to avoid beyond that I'm stuffed.
All I have is this(poor me sniffle, sniffle, ):
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=123438

I'm on much more solid ground with NF, Mike Finchen is a brilliant teacher and has taught me a lot.
Old 10-03-16, 02:37 PM

I agree, you should, they are very attractive badges, certainly not getting any easier to find!
Old 15-03-16, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I agree, you should, they are very attractive badges, certainly not getting any easier to find!
I saw a couple of fake 1st Patterns on Sunday and had a shopping list I needed to fill so that was a priority. Next month I will dedicate myself to Tyneside Scottish hunting and won't be distracted by cloth, Para's, book's or caps. Can't say I won't be distracted by RRF or NF because needs must when badges arise
Old 15-03-16, 02:11 PM

Yes, I'm afraid it has long been a fakers favourite, never mind, lots of real ones to be had, as long as you are willing to pay of course, back to money again!
Old 15-03-16, 02:23 PM

If I stayed away from expensive books and don't buy any more helmets or medals I should be ok. It's priorities.
Had a chat with Denis today, told him I've been raving about his book, he's terribly sweet. It was nice to have an enthusiastic conversation about Fusiliers knowing I wasn't boring anyone
Old 16-03-16, 08:14 AM

To be quite honest, whilst I don't know the Colonel, I would expect nothing less from him, the ability to communicate well with anyone, no matter who they are or where so ever they might come from, is something senior officers all tend to have in common.
All the more so, in his particular case, as he is a collector himself and he will have certainly noted your own interest in "his" regiment.
I renewed my own interest in the TS recently after talking to you and looking at a couple of older threads in the Infantry and Guards section.
Regarding the rankers first pattern, somewhere, I do have a box of TS which I know contains all the patterns, so I need to find it.
The heavy Jennen's officers badge I photographed for you a few days ago, I do remember buying very many years ago and I had forgotten I still had it.
They are around, don't be taken in by the fakes, actually, all those I have seen to date are complete and utter dross and do not stand up to even the most brief examination.
Also don't be afraid to buy an example with replaced lugs or a pin, they will be one hundred years old and fine.
Old 16-03-16, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
To be quite honest, whilst I don't know the Colonel, I would expect nothing less from him, the ability to communicate well with anyone, no matter who they are or where so ever they might come from, is something senior officers all tend to have in common.
All the more so, in his particular case, as he is a collector himself and he will have certainly noted your own interest in "his" regiment.
I renewed my own interest in the TS recently after talking to you and looking at a couple of older threads in the Infantry and Guards section.
Regarding the rankers first pattern, somewhere, I do have a box of TS which I know contains all the patterns, so I need to find it.
The heavy Jennen's officers badge I photographed for you a few days ago, I do remember buying very many years ago and I had forgotten I still had it.
They are around, don't be taken in by the fakes, actually, all those I have seen to date are complete and utter dross and do not stand up to even the most brief examination.
Also don't be afraid to buy an example with replaced lugs or a pin, they will be one hundred years old and fine.
It would be nice to see a few more from your TS collection Frank. I need to spend some time doing a bit of TS homework, will make a start later and decide what I should be aiming for.
I have no problem with a badge with replaced lugs or pins or indeed those parts missing as my only TS is.
So will do a bit of homework but if I need a little help, can I bother you?
Old 16-03-16, 08:22 AM

Just out of interest, was that actually at a fair, if yes, were they being sold as what they are, i.e. for pennies, or, were they being sold at a "nowhere" or "come and buy me" sort of price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
I saw a couple of fake 1st Patterns on Sunday and had a shopping list I needed to fill so that was a priority. Next month I will dedicate myself to Tyneside Scottish hunting and won't be distracted by cloth, Para's, book's or caps. Can't say I won't be distracted by RRF or NF because needs must when badges arise
Old 16-03-16, 08:25 AM

It was a fair and at "average" badge price £12-£15
Old 16-03-16, 08:30 AM

LOL, okay, so that's not cheap as such, but, very clearly, not going to deceive anyone, you can't get the real thing for less than a three figure sum.
Old 16-03-16, 08:35 AM

"Bother" it's no bother whatsoever, but, the best thing to do is offer it to the forum, there will be some here with a special interest in them, when I became interested, it was the seventy fifth anniversary of the Somme, now one hundred years ago, I have to say, it still troubles me, absolutely dreadful and needless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
It would be nice to see a few more from your TS collection Frank. I need to spend some time doing a bit of TS homework, will make a start later and decide what I should be aiming for.
I have no problem with a badge with replaced lugs or pins or indeed those parts missing as my only TS is.
So will do a bit of homework but if I need a little help, can I bother you?
Old 16-03-16, 12:07 PM

Thanks Frank.
Yes, it gets to me too. My paternal grandfather was 16 in 1916, was injured earlier in the year when he was 4th Middlesex, so missed June and July but by September was in the Thiepval area with the East Surrey's, was with them 10 days in fact when he was injured again during the action around Schwaben Redoubt.
It bothers me enormously and he was just a kid, as a lot were.
I found a report attached to the Middlesex war diaries where he describes how he was involved in a patrol that were attacked and then lost in no man's land. The L/Cpl he was with was killed and he stayed out in a shell hole for a few days, eventually he made it back to his section of trench. He was 15 at the time. Finding that document will never leave me. It still gets to me now just thinking about it.

Anyway, all nothing to with fusiliers, or TS
Old 16-03-16, 02:06 PM

I think the 1st of July 1916 was relevant across the whole Infantry and indeed the Army, from Surrey and the home counties, up to Tyneside and beyond, but, if you think just of the TS and TI Brigades that were in the field and what went on, those killed, those wounded, those who died later as a direct result of their wounds and all those missing, it was truly shocking.
I really can't remember which of John Sheen's books it was in, but, in one there was a photo reproduced that does show a postman in particular village up in the Northumberland waiting for his mail to be brought out to him from Newcastle, perfectly normal, but, it was taken that month and he is surrounded by women, who were all awaiting news of the men from their village.
I wonder just how many of them received that awful letter and with it, of course, the worst possible news they could ever hear.
Old 16-03-16, 04:57 PM

It doesn't bear thinking about. I'll never know how people got through it, and equally today of course.

I was reading Richard Van Emden's The Quick and the Dead--Fallen Soldiers and their Families, not so long ago, there's a book to break your heart over.