British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-13, 10:17 AM

Yep, sadly I am one of those planning to sell stuff to fill the void.... I have a few (well 10 cases or so) of ww1 singles, pairs and trio's that I plan to sell off to take advantage... if people want to pay the prices.....

Tom
Old 29-06-13, 10:22 AM

Try Bisley btw, the dealer there is pretty good, and might know of a rough example they can de-act for you. After all live ones are cheaper than de-act ones in some cases............
Old 29-06-13, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Thanks for the advice and links guys.

Ry, does this mean that most have had parts swapped around with other rifles, so it's rare to get a complete matching one ?

I see I'm going to have to do some more homework before I do anything!
Yes Mike,

They are usually deactivated in large batches, the barrels and receivers going off to be cut and pinned and the bolts being done separately so they are all mixed up.
This makes no difference to the operation of a deac but does leave you with parts of more than one rifle. It does though also make it harder to tell if a rifle is one than has been put together, the woodwork is usually the clue here.

Some rifles are done individually and these retain their matching numbers but there is a premium to pay for originality I'm afraid as well as anything out of the ordinary as seen from the prices in the link I posted.

This is also the case with the bayonets, you can still pick up a standard 07 pattern with a scabbard for under £100 but one with a hooked quillon will now set you back up to £850.

Good luck.

Ry
Old 29-06-13, 06:20 PM

Hi Mike,

Each of my two sons own one of these used to hunt deer. These are not that uncommon over here. They both have bayonets used to fend off crazed deer. I often see these, rifles, at military shows where they can go for just over $200.00 USD depending on model and condition. I do expect prices for items and insignia related to WWI to start going up as anniversaries come up. The assassination that started it all had its 100th anniversary yesterday I believe. Ry, I haven't done the conversion from GBP to USD but I think the hooked quillon will stay on the wish list for now.

Regards,

Don
Old 29-06-13, 06:56 PM
Banned

Here is a pic of my deac SMLE, wishing I had waited for the anniversary to sell it now but never mind.
A bigger regret is letting Ian Skennerton's Lee Enfield and Bayonet books go, I may hunt them down again and can recommend them to anyone who has a serious interest.

Good to hear that your sons are still putting theirs to good use Don and the bayonets too, they'd be locked up for years for having either in public over here, sad little land that we live in sometimes!

As for buying a live firer for deactivating, yes they do go cheaper but I believe that it costs over £150 to have the deac work carried out and then there are the fees from the proof house who issue the certificate to add as well which all reflect in the price of buying one ready done. Add a bit of profit and 20% VAT and you can see where the money goes.

Regards to all.

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 02:24 PM.
Old 29-06-13, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Each of my two sons own one of these used to hunt deer. These are not that uncommon over here. They both have bayonets used to fend off crazed deer. I often see these, rifles, at military shows where they can go for just over $200.00 USD depending on model and condition. I do expect prices for items and insignia related to WWI to start going up as anniversaries come up. The assassination that started it all had its 100th anniversary yesterday I believe. Ry, I haven't done the conversion from GBP to USD but I think the hooked quillon will stay on the wish list for now.

Regards,

Don

$600 over here for a WW1 dated example!

Bayonet? I've spotted a hooked quillon P.1907 bayonet in an up coming auction, estimate £600 - £700.

Think I'll go for the ordinary type.
Old 29-06-13, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Here is a pic of my deac SMLE, wishing I had waited for the anniversary to sell it now but never mind.
A bigger regret is letting Ian Skennerton's Lee Enfield and Bayonet books go, I may hunt them down again and can recommend them to anyone who has a serious interest.

Good to hear that your sons are still putting theirs to good use Don and the bayonets too, they'd be locked up for years for having either in public over here, sad little land that we live in sometimes!

As for buying a live firer for deactivating, yes they do go cheaper but I believe that it costs over £150 to have the deac work carried out and then there are the fees from the proof house who issue the certificate to add as well which all reflect in the price of buying one ready done. Add a bit of profit and 20% VAT and you can see where the money goes.

Regards to all.

Ry

I've started to come across sellers with the live rifles, for deactivation if required. - I thought it might be an expensive process!
I've only just discovered what is done to deactivate a rifle, it's less 'damage' than I thought.

summary here:

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/uk-dea...ion-specs.html
Old 29-06-13, 07:44 PM

Mike,

Good luck with your quest. I would get on while the getting is good. Several years ago, ok over 20, I was commuting from home to take a summer class in another city and every day I passed a Universal Carrier sitting with other used vehicles in one of the towns I drove through. I don't know if it was a used car lot or a junk dealer it was hard to tell. I still kick myself that I didn't at least stop and look closely and maybe inquire what it would cost, not that I had a place to put one. Now I don't even remember what town it was as I travel that road from time to time. Moral of story, get one while you can.

Don
Old 29-06-13, 10:18 PM

Mike,

There are quite a few up for grabs in a few weeks time at:

http://www.nzaaawgtn.org.nz/

Click on the red script to right of catalogue image.

None will be deactivated though.

There are a few Vickers guns possibly the odd Bren, Thompson, MP40, P08 etc.

Usually stuff and usually in very good/excellent condition.

These guys are pretty good at shipping won lots overseas too.

Regards

Chris
Old 29-06-13, 10:20 PM

Mike,

By the way - I can assist with purchase if you need help.

Regards

Chris
Old 30-06-13, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the offer Chris, but I can't begin to imagine the field day the bureaucrats and tax officials would have on an ordinary Joe trying to import a firearm into this country!

Interesting auction though, and they have some medals and badges in there to boot.
Old 02-07-13, 09:39 AM

This dealer has a few in stock, lots of other interesting weapons too
Lee

http://www.battleflagmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 02-07-13, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Yes Mike,

They are usually deactivated in large batches, the barrels and receivers going off to be cut and pinned and the bolts being done separately so they are all mixed up.
This makes no difference to the operation of a deac but does leave you with parts of more than one rifle. It does though also make it harder to tell if a rifle is one than has been put together, the woodwork is usually the clue here.

Some rifles are done individually and these retain their matching numbers but there is a premium to pay for originality I'm afraid as well as anything out of the ordinary as seen from the prices in the link I posted.

This is also the case with the bayonets, you can still pick up a standard 07 pattern with a scabbard for under £100 but one with a hooked quillon will now set you back up to £850.

Good luck.

Ry
No dealer would knowingly mix up parts on an SMLE as they know the price premium a matching number one achieves. The reason you get so many dogs these days is because the price of these weapons has gone up so much it is now worth while for dealers to assemble them from mixed components often on new wood work. Ryton and no doubt other dealers as well have stillages full of actions from which Rifles are put together from.

If you want a bitza with no history buy one of these but if you want an original one keep looking untill you find one.