British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-08, 09:47 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Territorials

Let me try this question again.What do you UK people meanby the term territorial, What makes one regiment a territorial and another not. Ray
Old 29-04-08, 10:17 PM

Territorial battalions are battalions made up of civilians who do part time voluntary military service. That will involve training weekends and camps-but I do not know the full comitment at this present time, or the pay rates or legalities that come into play in time of conflict. I think others have replied as best they can to you. Before being known as Territorials up to I think 1908 they were Volunteer battalions. Infantry regiments may have only one regular fulltime battalion but have other battalions that are Territoral. Its just what they are called. Hope this helps. If we are failing to understand your question- don't give up, we want to understand and help you. Perhaps it is linking the word Territorial to area, which is not so relvent, at least today, when you just need to think Territorial = Civilian who is a part time voluntary soldier and a Territorial Battalion or unit= a Battalion or unit made up of such persons. Best regards, Paul. PS. There have been/are some units that stand alone as Territorial units without say, a regular parent battalion.

Last edited by wardog; 29-04-08 at 10:47 PM.
Old 30-04-08, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

They have had various name but used to be the TAVR = Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve.

I think this is a good description as is covers all the criteria. Local based part time civilians.

Alan
Old 30-04-08, 10:46 AM

I think you must be an American Boots & Saddles?

What others have said has probably explained to you who the Territorials are.

If not, they are the British "National Guard".
Old 30-04-08, 03:36 PM

Thank you guys for setting me straight. A good explanation Wardog,Like our Militia which they call Land Army now, What a stupid description. I don't think we have any Sea Army. Yes BWEF I'm an American (North American) Canadian in fact. Most of our Territorials exist on their own with a parent Bn. Thanks again Ray
Old 30-04-08, 11:23 PM

The use of `territorial` goes back further than the TA or ven the TF. The numbered line infantry units were`territorialised` as part of the Cardwell reforms in 1881. In other words, they were assigned adesignated area for recruiting. IE fifteenth foot became the East Yorkshire Regiment, fourteenth foot beacme the West Yorkshire reiment etc.
Cheers, Dave
Old 30-04-08, 11:43 PM

Thanks Deejayuu
I knew there had to be a connection between the unit and the area, just had to be. Now I can't say that I know NOWT. Almost all of our Militia are associated with a district, except some of the city Regiments. That area of recruitment makes sence. So that's SOMAT anyway. Ray
Old 30-04-08, 11:44 PM

Yes, I think that was covered by 8thfoot the last time 'Boots' asked about Territorials, but i'm glad that he is now happy to understand Territorials as civilian volunteer part time soldiers, the way the term is used most often. Cheers, Paul.
Old 06-05-08, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
They have had various name but used to be the TAVR = Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve.

I think this is a good description as is covers all the criteria. Local based part time civilians.

Alan

It was actually the T and AVR, Territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve.
Old 07-05-08, 11:29 AM

Default Big help

Hi, hats off to you all, for the information. I was also uncertain about how that worked. In the USA we have Reserve's and National Guard. The National Guard are usually Local areas and city's. Some Guard units are brothers,cousin,friends and people you work with. All being from the same region. Thanks,uncletom
Old 07-05-08, 12:32 PM
Badge Guru

Dont be mistaken in thinking that the Territorials were just infantry they were also cavalry units or yeomanries. These units on the most were locally raised and consisted of men usually with argicultural roots, earning the name 'plow boys' from the regular cavalry soldiers. The roots of the yeomanry units can be traced as far back as Elizabeth I, various units of horse, but I wont confuse you anymore!

There was also artillery, engineers, supply/transport just about any branch of the army you can think of.

The key fact you need to remember is.......it was the Territorial Force in WW1 and the Territorial Army during WW2. With that knowledge you should be pretty safe.

If you decide you want to do more research have a look here:

http://www.army.mod.uk/unitsandorgs/ta/ta_history.htm