British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-09, 05:23 PM

Default 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards

A couple of things with regards to this Regt.

Does anybody know or has any info about the "dull" A/A capbadge? Was it just an odd batch of badges that didnt shine as much as normal?

Is the small collar size SNCO`s capbadge a fantasy item ? Did they wear an Officers collar,or an OR`s collar rather than a slidered or lugged badge?
Old 04-09-09, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

The 4/7th SNCO's certainly did wear a half sized collar as their cap badges. I can't remember whether they were a/a ORs or metal ones.

Alan
Old 04-09-09, 07:31 PM

Thats where the RDG SNCO`s small capbadge comes from.The RDG A/A small was dumped in favour of the small Officers collar type badge rather sharpish.
Did the 4th/7th collar remain the same until amalgamation ?
Old 06-09-09, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
A couple of things with regards to this Regt.

Does anybody know or has any info about the "dull" A/A capbadge? Was it just an odd batch of badges that didnt shine as much as normal?

Is the small collar size SNCO`s capbadge a fantasy item ? Did they wear an Officers collar,or an OR`s collar rather than a slidered or lugged badge?
Hi Mike,

The level of brightening is due to the thickness of the aluminium oxide crust formed during the anodising process. Too thin and its nice and bright but easily scratched and too thick and it is dull but lovely and rock hard. The balance between brightness and hardness was one that was an issue for all during the A/A badge manufacturing era and has nothing whatsoever to do with design of badges or purity of aluminium.

Regards

Chris
Old 06-09-09, 01:46 PM

Thanks Chris,it must have been a batch that was rather dull then.Caused by the manufacturers,obviously it could have been one of the first issues of anodised aluminium badges the regt recieved.I dont know when the a/a pattern was approved for wear and then taken into use.

Has anybody come up with anything about the "NCO badge" yet ?
Old 06-09-09, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Thanks Chris,it must have been a batch that was rather dull then.Caused by the manufacturers,obviously it could have been one of the first issues of anodised aluminium badges the regt recieved.I dont know when the a/a pattern was approved for wear and then taken into use.

Has anybody come up with anything about the "NCO badge" yet ?
Hi Mike,

The earliest CCN entry (authorisation to issue) I have for A/A 4th/7th Dragoon Guards cap badge is 1963 but there may be other earlier publications that I currently do not know about let alone have.

Level of brightness of badges is due to thickness of anodic crust which is due to many reasons and cannot be time lined to date of production.

This might be of possible interest too:

Seeding removed from dies notified 23rd November 1964 - MoD (Army) A.Q.M.G Ref NV/82/07 - Located in file WO32/16956

They would have had to cut new dies to do this not amend the existing ones as they would have been previously been hardened.

If you see any CCN/COSA documents please let me know.

Regards

Chris