British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-20, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
If this is the image you were thinking of I can't see any knives unfortunately.

Simon.
At first glance it looks like a "possible" knife sheaf on side-on soldier but on closer inspection it is simply bottom plate of body armour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irish guards knife L.jpg (31.7 KB, 60 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 04-02-20 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-20, 02:13 AM

Hi all

Told you that my memory was unreliable! But you can always borrow money, books, cars and other items from me as I'll always forget to ask for it/ them back.....
Old 04-02-20, 11:05 AM

Irv
That is the standard copy doing the rounds, thanks for uploading the link. You can clearly see the plain cover on the sheath as opposed to the bandaged style of the original.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 11-02-20, 04:16 PM

I've studied and collected these knives for over 30 years, and I agree absolutely that the vast vast majority of the knives out there are complete fakes. I have been lucky enough to have bought two knives direct from families of 9th RWF soldiers, one of whom was a MM winner . I have two others in semi relic condition that I am completely satisfied with and one that I consider to be my piece de resistance in so much that it has the cross hatched scabbard on it. The knife is jammed in because the leather has shrunk around it. The knife for sale in Regimentals currently is an original one. (The leather on the originals is surprisingly fragile particularly around the belt loop). The one on IMA is emphatically not!!

There seems to have been two issues of these knives, the second of which did not have Joubert's mark on so may have been a separate contractor.
Old 12-02-20, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymro View Post
I've studied and collected these knives for over 30 years, and I agree absolutely that the vast vast majority of the knives out there are complete fakes. I have been lucky enough to have bought two knives direct from families of 9th RWF soldiers, one of whom was a MM winner . I have two others in semi relic condition that I am completely satisfied with and one that I consider to be my piece de resistance in so much that it has the cross hatched scabbard on it. The knife is jammed in because the leather has shrunk around it. The knife for sale in Regimentals currently is an original one. (The leather on the originals is surprisingly fragile particularly around the belt loop). The one on IMA is emphatically not!!

There seems to have been two issues of these knives, the second of which did not have Joubert's mark on so may have been a separate contractor.
If your time allows, I, for one would love to see some photographs of your collection if possible.

Regards Simon.
Old 12-02-20, 08:48 PM

Simon - here are some shots of the two I have with me at the moment. My sole full scabbarded one and one in semi-relic condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knife7.jpg (103.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Knife6.jpg (90.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Knife2.jpg (27.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-02-20, 08:54 PM

Very many thanks, great to see original examples and worlds apart from the copies.

Regards Simon.
Old 10-02-23, 06:04 PM

In the Holts March auction.

LOT

AN EXCEPTIONALLY RARE ROYAL WELSH FUSILIER'S WORLD WAR ONE TRENCH RAIDER'S SWORD SIGNED JOUBERT &
In Fine Modern & Antique Arms - March 2023

Blimey starting price £3800 (est £4,000 - £6,000), what do you think it's going to go for ??.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 18-03-23, 11:58 AM

Hi all

Old thread.

I've held one of these trench knives, it belonged to my friend.

Gerwyn