British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-11, 08:08 PM

Default 1958 - A new Fusilier Cap badge appears

SGG 1958.jpg

Just thought I'd throw this in for curiosity and for the serious collectors files. I was just going through my St. Georges Gazette(Regimental Journal of the RNF) for the 31st October 1958, when I noticed the attached in the Regimental Notes.

The Fusiliers Bde/RRF cap badge, as we know it, first made it's appearance as a prototype in October 1958 and it's interesting to note that they were unsure as to when it would actually make it's way into general use by the Fusilier Bde.

It was to be another two years before it was taken into general wear and some of the first ones were actually in bimetal, a fact that wasn't known to me until my good friend Ed Forrest(1st RNF/1st RRF) produced his one day, much to my surprise.
Old 08-09-11, 08:12 AM

Default Fusilier Brigade rebadging date

I think your a bit out with your dates there, Graham. (Regimental magazines are or were notorious for reporting yesterdays news)

I am absolutely certain that L.F. adopted the Brigade badge in 1958. ( may'be '57 )

My brother was called up in 1959 and just managed to get to the 1st Battalion in Nicosia to watch the Bi-centenial Minden Day trooping the colour (1st August)

He never wore the old red & white cloth cap badge. I watched him pass out at Bury where all troops wore the Brigade badge.

The 1959 'troop' was filmed and every L.F. has watched the film many times. The film clearly shows the metal brigade badge in use.

Incidentally, the T.A. battalions at Bury, Rochdale & Salford (also ACF/CCF) wore the old cloth badge until well into the 1960's.

Another incidental. On another website short pioneer aprons without badges are being worn. These are identical to the four buckskin aprons worn by the L.F. pioneers.

Picture of the cloth cap badge being worn correctly (with the rear of the badge in line with the front of the left ear)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSM%20Burrows.jpg (46.4 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by BILL DUGGAN; 08-09-11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 06:38 PM

Hi Bill - The Fusilier Bde was formed in some haste in April 1958, but only with the RNF, RF & LF. It's purpose at that time was purely administrative and the Fusiliers Bde badge seemingly adopted on the 7th January 1959(from the prototype seen in October 1958).

I can't comment on the LF, but the SGG's were written up on a monthly basis and in my honest opinion are a great source for information on the introduction of equipment/uniforms/badges etc.

I've checked the photo's and the RNF certainly aren't wearing the Fusiliers Bde badges up to December 1958 and in that issue it states;-
"Plans to issue and wear the new Fusiliers Bde cap badge have now crystalised, and it is intended that the change-over should take place both in the 1st Bn and the Depot on Jaunary 9th(1959). It is hoped, at the Depot, to mark this outward and visible step in the history of the Fusilier Bde with a parade and an "At Home"(1st RNF were in the Far East), and by the reading to all ranks of a special message signed by the Colonels of the three Regiments. The Territorial Battalions do not change their cap badge."

The January edition of SGG and the "1st Bn Notes" does mention that the change over will take place on the 8th January, as they didn't come home but ended up in Munster. This they did, but it's not recorded in great detail.

Ironically the re-badging parade at the RNF Depot on the 9th January 1959 was cancelled due to 6inches of snow, and only a small ceremony took place in the Drill Shed. The only ones to change badge were the officer's, WO's and a Sgt from each of the three regiments within the Bde.

So there you have it straight from the horses mouth.
Old 08-09-11, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 48451

Just thought I'd throw this in for curiosity and for the serious collectors files. I was just going through my St. Georges Gazette(Regimental Journal of the RNF) for the 31st October 1958, when I noticed the attached in the Regimental Notes.

The Fusiliers Bde/RRF cap badge, as we know it, first made it's appearance as a prototype in October 1958 and it's interesting to note that they were unsure as to when it would actually make it's way into general use by the Fusilier Bde.

It was to be another two years before it was taken into general wear and some of the first ones were actually in bimetal, a fact that wasn't known to me until my good friend Ed Forrest(1st RNF/1st RRF) produced his one day, much to my surprise.
is this the bi-metal badge mentioned,if not when was this worn.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuss 003 (413x550).jpg (90.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg fuss 004 (477x550).jpg (92.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-09-11, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
is this the bi-metal badge mentioned,if not when was this worn.
Bob
Will get back to you on this one, once I can get into the loft, but looking at it, it could possibly be one of the original's. Some years ago a new bimetal version was introduced, but it came with a permanent shine finish.
Old 13-09-11, 07:37 PM

Default L.F. re-badge parade

At the top of this thread Graham say's the Fusilier Brigade badge first appeared in October 1958 but probably wasn't taken into use for another couple of years.

I've had a reply back from The Fusilier Museum, Bury and the L.F. re-badging parade took place at Wellington Barracks, Bury on 10th January 1959.

There is plenty of photographic (and film archive) showing the badge being worn throughout 1959.

As we have established R.N.F. re-badging parade was in the snow of 9th January 1959 so I think we now have a firm date when the new badge was adopted.

I think R.F. had a re-badging around the same time at H.M.Tower of London

Bill
Old 13-09-11, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL DUGGAN View Post
At the top of this thread Graham say's the Fusilier Brigade badge first appeared in October 1958 but probably wasn't taken into use for another couple of years.

I've had a reply back from The Fusilier Museum, Bury and the L.F. re-badging parade took place at Wellington Barracks, Bury on 10th January 1959.

There is plenty of photographic (and film archive) showing the badge being worn throughout 1959.

As we have established R.N.F. re-badging parade was in the snow of 9th January 1959 so I think we now have a firm date when the new badge was adopted.

I think R.F. had a re-badging around the same time at H.M.Tower of London

Bill
post-821-1220474330.jpg
Which sadly was based on this photo, which appeared in a local newspaper. The gentleman in question, who took part, say's 1960 and even calls them the RRF, when clearly his memory was at fault on both occassions.

Remember that old saying;- "never assume - check".
Old 17-11-14, 12:39 PM

The earliest photo i can find showing RNF wearing the "Brigade" badge is April 1959, taken in Gibraltar whilst on route to Hong Kong...still wearing battle dress.
Old 21-11-14, 03:11 PM

I've just posted these pics in a thread in the "classifieds" but thought I'd better put them on a more permanent thread - two different strikings of AA Fus Bde / RRF badges with hackle attachment, "flanged" devices but with wire loop fittings instead of the flat pierced blade fittings.

These two examples were worn by men of "X" Coy 1 RRF during an NI tour 1973 - 75, I'm assuming that this type with loop fittings may predate the flat blade type Fus Bde badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0911.jpg (48.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0913.jpg (49.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0912.jpg (47.9 KB, 12 views)