British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-14, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Good chance that happened. The collars were used in some regiments on the CFSC. When there were badge shortages, especially at the start of the SWW and the FWW there are many photos showing collars in wear as cap badges.
Re the Newfoundland Regiment, there is photo evidence from the FWW of left and right collars (and the cap and collars were all the same size as indicated), but there was not a general issue of them in pairs. It appears the left/right Nfld were officers' badges, and likely private purchase.
Old 04-05-14, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathanaich View Post
As a member of the Army Reserve since 1989, I have never seen new collar badges packaged or stored individually. They come from the manufacturer in pairs. Old (1940s and earlier) Scully issued collar and cap badges are still seen in their original issued state, i.e. on those pieces of white paper with "Scully Ltd Montreal" printed on them. I've only ever seen the collar badge versions, in those cases, in pairs. It's possible that the RQs of regiments with left/right collars might keep the used ones in "Left" and "Right" bins, but I can't imagine that newly issued collars were ever that way.
You should have been me trying to buy RCR mess dress collars from their kit shop a year or so ago. They indeed came packaged individually, not as pairs, in cello packs. First order came, with two left collars. I called and explained, and they sent me out another left collar. I now had three lefts, no right, so finally sent back the extra two and asked for one 'with the beaver looking the other way' and got a right collar.
Old 06-05-14, 08:45 AM

Just my 2 bits on the subject of why more right collars then lefts are available for sale. If the cap badge and collars are identical in design (other then size) and if the badge has an animal depicted in the design ie. a beaver. The left collar badges animals tends to point in the same direction as the cap badge and the right badge tends to point the other way. The Saskatchewan Border Regiments left collar is a good example of this. Often then, these left collar badges will then be used as a cap badge in the field. In other cases, some of these left collars are converted into sweet heart pins. Fewer left collars now available.