British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-10, 11:41 PM

Default Canadian Chaplain Service...vestment

Don't know if this is of interest but I have a WW2 Canadian priests sash with the kings crown on it and his ribbon bars, are there any pictures of Canadian priests in service wearing robes?
Old 24-12-10, 02:28 PM

Here's one.Doesn't show much.
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...oviqqavs023t31

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 29-01-11, 11:13 PM

Just to help you ID it correctly its called a scarf [I've been told off about what its called before myself LOL]. There is a few photos via google images of canadian chaplains wearing them. Also a couple in the book In This Sign Conquer.
Old 30-01-11, 03:12 AM

Photo
Old 30-01-11, 08:04 AM

Default RCAC

Servicepub: That is an outstanding picture, not only of the Chaplain and his field communion, medical and other kit but also of a pair of Jeeps. His Jeep has like so many been modified to meet British service requirements - blackout headlight and bridge plate, but the sidelights have not been moved to the front wings as per most British Army Jeeps of the period. The Jeep in the background is, appropriately, an ambulance conversion. If you have other images of the same period - and excellent quality - I for one would very much like to see them posted.
Old 30-01-11, 02:12 PM

I'm curious when and where the photo was taken.
The Padre has the service stripes on his right sleeve -I'm guessing it must be the end of the war.
He has a Mark III helmet and light coloured Div patch - 3rd Div.
He seems to have his kit laid out as one might for an inspection, but look at somebody's laundry hanging in the background.
It's an interesting photo.

Phil
Old 30-01-11, 02:45 PM

This photograph shows padre H/Maj.John W.Forth of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa post D-Day.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 30-01-11, 05:30 PM

Yep, it is a great pic, and one which cannot be beaten for content I suspect. Its seen in many books I have read around the subject of chaplains and many websites. I was going to add its a Canadian, but thats already been done
I never noticed the fittings on the hood of the 2nd jeep for the stretcher modification before. Well done on spotting that Mike.
I've always liked the shape of the cruets in his communion set, both of mine had squatter versions [but mine were post war dated] and my 1944 dated set has metal flasks not glass cruets. Anyone care to hazard a quess on the contents of his red cross marked bag. Is it a shell dressing bag? I think it may be.
Regards
Old 30-01-11, 06:15 PM

Four more photographs concerning Padre Forth.
Jo