British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-10, 09:59 PM

Default British Free Corps Collar - Opinion

May have the chance to obtain one of these collars, but is the attached one pukka? Only photo I have, it's offered as pukka, but never issued, serious money though, very serious, but one of my most "favourite" units......

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Tab 03.JPG (85.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 30-06-10, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
May have the chance to obtain one of these collars, but is the attached one pukka? Only photo I have, it's offered as pukka, but never issued, serious money though, very serious, but one of my most "favourite" units......

Tom
Hello Tom

As you know only 300 uniforms were ever made with less worn in the field.
It does not look like German consistent stitching to me.
I can't get my head around it.
What are they asking if I can be imprudent?£2000-£3000?

Cheers

Dave
Old 30-06-10, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancashirefusilier View Post
Hello Tom

As you know only 300 uniforms were ever made with less worn in the field.
It does not look like German consistent stitching to me.
I can't get my head around it.
What are they asking if I can be imprudent?£2000-£3000?

Cheers

Dave
In the region of $3500 so about £3000, it didn't look quite right to me, but I didn't know if it was me being overly cautious, but at that much I think I should be incredibly cautious, and will leave it then :-(

ATB,
Tom

Last edited by Unknownsoldier; 30-06-10 at 07:34 PM.
Old 30-06-10, 09:18 AM

Hello Tom

If you do a search on Mail online for the 13th June 09+British Free Corps

there is a good picture of a known original at auction.

I agree with your fears and think your picture is really close but no cigar!

Cheers again

Dave
Old 30-06-10, 09:24 AM

The auction house that sold it is not highly regarded by some, and the collar is not highly thought of either: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/gu...hat-they-seem/ There was a lot of rumours it was a fake, I have my theory that there are NO real badges left, short of the single example in Canada in their national war museum (even that as no guarantees as, as we know fakes have been circulated since the end of the war and before....), as I have yet to see one I believe is 100% pukka, I'm going to keep looking

I want to believe/find one out there, but so far......
Old 30-06-10, 09:35 AM

Glad I do not do Third Reich
Old 30-06-10, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancashirefusilier View Post
Glad I do not do Third Reich
Minefields are slightly safer ................ yeeks

Tom
Old 30-06-10, 07:29 PM

My honest opinion / forget it .

Even the worlds leading ss collectors are devided on this badge and just to add to that who out there has actually seen one in the flesh ?

With respect sir , even if money is not an issue for you and you buy it , once the winter nights arrived and your sat there like we all do with a brandy / beer and a cigar looking at your newest item and you start the

" is it or isnt it genuine " sketch that again , we all have sat through any pleasure you have owning it will quickly vanish ......

Just think how many rare genuine other ` safe bet ` badges you could add to your collection for the price this badge wil cost ,
just my opinion , sent in good faith ,regards ,Michael.
Old 30-06-10, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
My honest opinion / forget it .

Even the worlds leading ss collectors are devided on this badge and just to add to that who out there has actually seen one in the flesh ?

With respect sir , even if money is not an issue for you and you buy it (It is, I hope I didn't come across as if it isn't, it's just I've been looking for 5 years or more....), once the winter nights arrived and your sat there like we all do with a brandy / beer and a cigar looking at your newest item and you start the

" is it or isnt it genuine " sketch that again , we all have sat through any pleasure you have owning it will quickly vanish ......

Just think how many rare genuine other ` safe bet ` badges you could add to your collection for the price this badge wil cost ,
just my opinion , sent in good faith ,regards ,Michael.
Most definite, this is why I wanted a second opinion as my first thought was.... no way, but maybe I'm beinbg over cautious, butas said my own opinion is, having looked there probably arn't any genuine BFC badges out there :-( I'll use the money towards a medal group I think and a few badges

ATB,
Tom
Old 30-06-10, 09:33 PM

Visit the war & Peace show in july and you will find dozens of these + good copies of cuff titles and arm shield's, they would make a reasonable interesting display. Last year a couple of re-enactors were wandering around all badged up to the 'Fri Korps'. I believe the Imperial war museum in London have a complete tunic but its not displayed for obvious reasons.
regards
Steve
Old 01-07-10, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Visit the war & Peace show in july and you will find dozens of these + good copies of cuff titles and arm shield's, they would make a reasonable interesting display. Last year a couple of re-enactors were wandering around all badged up to the 'Fri Korps'. I believe the Imperial war museum in London have a complete tunic but its not displayed for obvious reasons.
regards
Steve
Hello All

The point about the IWM is interesting because one would have thought that such a piece would have fitted into the Mosley display that they have.
Weirdly some of the Blackshirt stuff in the IWM is reputed to be replica...so maybe the BFC tunic is...?
Do you think that we have entered a phase where even some museums simply do not know?

Food for thought?

Cheers

Dave
Old 02-07-10, 09:05 PM

In the summer of 1979 there was a "complete set" of British Free Corps insignia for sale at a store in Fleet called The Military Mint.
For some reason 600 pounds is the price that I recall. No idea if they were real.

Phil
Old 12-07-10, 05:06 PM

This is part of what I posted on the Fakes forum recently. I've just found this thread,
"This is the same as several 'Britische Freikorp' badges that I had years ago. They were given to me by a friend who worked on Andrew Mollo's film 'It happened here'. I sold them as copies but have since seen them aged and attached to old 'feldgrau' material and punted out as genuine."
Old 14-07-10, 05:03 PM

Many debates flow around re-enactors, and I won't air my own views here save to note the divide between the dedicated and the 22-stone American paratroopers. But I cannot conceive why anyone would wish to recreate the BFK - especially after Adrian Weale's outstanding book.

The badge is a total dud.
Old 14-07-10, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
Many debates flow around re-enactors, and I won't air my own views here save to note the divide between the dedicated and the 22-stone American paratroopers. But I cannot conceive why anyone would wish to recreate the BFK - especially after Adrian Weale's outstanding book.

The badge is a total dud.
Surely as valid as playing any quisling unit in WW2 Norway, or British Volunteers in the US revolutionary wars, or even celts serving with the Roman army, just an interesting area

Tom