British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-12, 09:14 PM

That's very impressive Pukman. It's a shame we can't see the sleeves on the chap sitting down - is there a single officer (he's wearing a Sam Brown) called Johnston who served in the NZRB during the war?

Ian H
Old 25-07-12, 10:33 PM

Well done, Ian and Iain,
Very good research. If I may butt in, there is a 4/120 2/Lt. Cameron Gordon Johnston, NZRB, KIA 7 June 1917. May be him?
Cheers, Tinto
Old 25-07-12, 11:09 PM

Going through the Andrews notebook I find a Capt R Foster Johnston as well. But he appears to to be NZD? (can't decipher) - or am I just clutching at straws? It's like watching Blackadder season 4 for real!

I'm currently trying to index the notebook before photographing the rest of it. There's approx 38 pages (some double spreads) with pictures, poems, music and signatures. Ken Saxon appears to have signed page 118 (a lot are blank or missing). It's quite strange knowing they're all dead now, but some would have died almost immediately following signing the book and are in some corner of a foreign field.

Ian H
Old 25-07-12, 11:23 PM

Hi Ian,
Here's a link to the 2/Lt Cameron Johnston mentioned.

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/datab...ph/7803.detail

Don't think it is the same man as in your group photo.
What do you think?
Tinto
Old 26-07-12, 04:14 AM

Ian,

We can rule out Captain Robert Foster Johnston ,Surgeon Dentist NZ Dental corp,which is the name in your book.

There are at least 4 Johnston's mentioned in the NZRB history.One is the Brigadier General.

The 3 remaining suspects are

2/LT 24/480 Alexander Thomas Johnston ,K.I.A 3.8.18 from Balclutha
2/LT 24/120 Cameron Johnston K.I A 7.6.17

or the most likely

Captain John McDonald Johnston 24/4 (to be Major and Quartermaster Officer) of Wellington

Perhaps we need this publication or someone who has it.

We also have to remember the Batman who wrote the sketch /autograph book was also a commissioned officer from mid 1917 onwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg npm2000_38_3_1.jpg (23.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by pukman; 26-07-12 at 05:22 AM.
Old 26-07-12, 08:30 PM

Hi,
I searched for Nelson College rolls and came up with the following:

JOHNSTON Graham Alexander 1922 1924 Farm Assistant, Whata Whata, Waikato .
JOHNSTON Herbert McKenzie 1922* . . Junior Gym Cup 1923
JOHNSTON Hubert Kenneth 1904 1907 Storekeeper, Hope, Nelson Formerly in Government Life Insurance Department Served in WW1
JOHNSTON James Campbell 1907 1908 Farmer, Aniseed Valley,Nelson .
JOHNSTON Royston Gowland 1912 1913 Farmer, Aniseed Valley,Nelson .
JOHNSTON William David Stoney 1897 1901 Medical Practitioner, Nelson M.B., Ch.B. [Edin]; M.D. [Edin] 1912A Governor of Nelson College Served in WW1 Captain in NZ Medical Corps

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any record of Fowlds, Clayton or Saxon in the same rolls.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 29-07-12, 07:24 AM

Thanks Tinto,

While we have yet to estalish the Nelson College connection ,the soldiers identified are certainties.

Here is Saxon's citations.

Saxon,Kendall Reginald James Von T 26/17 M.C

Lieutenant ,4th Bn N.Z Rifle Brigade.
L.G 14 November 1916,p11082

For conspicuous gallantatry in action.He assumed command ,and led his company with great courage and determination .Later although wounded ,he organised and consilidated the position won

Captain ,1st Bn ,N.Z Rifle Brigade
L.G 16 September 1918,p 10912 .Rec No 2149

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.After a heavy preliminary bombardment the enemy advanced to deliver a serious attack.The officer, who was in command of his company on the right flank ,grasping the situation with prompt initiative ,pushed forward and forstalled the enemy ,breaking up the attack before it fell upon the advanced posts .The ability and rapidity with which the plan was concieved and sucessfully accomplished were most marked and during the whole operation Captain Saxon showed a very fine example of courage and coolness to his men,personally supervising under heavy fire all the dispositions necessary
Old 29-07-12, 08:04 AM

Equally Fowlds was a brave man also,

Fowlds ,William Forrest 26/4

M.C Captain 4th Battalion N.Z Rifle Brigade
L.G 28 ,3 June 1918 ,p6474 ,Rec No 1874

For gallantry and continuous good service,particularly in thev operations against Passchendaele on the 12th October 1917,and again in the North east sector of Polygon Wood during November and December 1917,and January 1918 .He has shown at all times fine powers of leadership .In the most trying circumstances his personal gallantry has inspired his company .He has served continuously since April 1916

M.I.D

Captain ,N.Z Rifle Brigade

L.G ,28 December 1917,p13575

Mentioned in Field Marshalls D .Haig despatch of 7 November 1917 for distinguished and gallant service s and devotion to duty during the period February 26th to midnight Seoptember 20th -21st ,1917

Last edited by pukman; 29-07-12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 29-07-12, 08:30 PM

You're putting me to shame now. I attach a first draft of a list.
Many of the Note books pages have tiny pencil numbers in the top right corner. Below is the list of all pages with writing/art work on, together with a short description of content and signatories. Some are indecipherable, but where most of the detail is legible I have used a question mark to show what I cannot recognize:

Page Description and – Name(s)
- Frontispiece – D Andrews (see photo 1 on post 1)
1 Index (not filled in)
2 Drawing of Ville
3 Drawing of wood - Hoyland
10 Singer - Hoyland
12 Poem – Hugo Freeth
16 Picture of Pierrots – E Hiscock
22 T’e Name – Te Rangihiroa
24 Cartoon – G Hillyer
32 Picture Homeward Bound (Ships) – G H Tarr
36 NZIBD Staff Etaples – G Mitchell Lt Col, Dovey Mjr, Stewart Capt, M Lyons Lt, Wieford Capt, R Foster Johnston Capt, C Scobell RQMS, A Ker?? RSM(see photo 2 on post 1)
40 Drawing of Sea – M I Evans
44 Drawing of Sea – G Marshall
50 Diggers - R P London, J B McBride Sgt, Don Griffiths 2/Lt, W Edwards Lt, H W Doyle Sgt, A Grouwall , Frank Reynolds Sgt (see photo 3 on post 1)
54 Song - M Mullineux Chaplain
Picture - G Moy?ell
58 2nd Bgde Staff - Strongman CSM, Souness O/Sgt, R Leckie Sgt, G J Becor Runner, J Turnbull O/R Clerk, ? , ? , W Wagg Ord Cpl, J W Watt Ord Cpl, G J Calman (see photo 4 on post 1)
62 Song - A Weir
68 First Bgde Staff - J W Andrews?? OC, Lefort CSM, H R Hansen QMS, F G Young L/Cpl, Samuel O/R Cpl, A C Woods L/Cpl (see photo 5 on post 1)
72 Poem - A Martin RNZA
74 Picture - Massey's Address - G H Tarr
78 Picture Appous an Shocolat - G J Calman (see photo 6 on post 1)
82 Picture 'A Batman' - Prowse
86 Picture 'Dinant' - ?
88 Latin
92 Te Whare - Alfred Bernstein NZMC G J Calman
94 Picture 'Expulsion from Eden' - ?
96 Souvenir de nos Allies (all French) - J Georges Lt 54 Artillerie, Bertrand Capt.
100 Musical Scraps
104 Picture "The Lower School Uppingham"
Poem '1 Fish ball' - M Raven
110 NZRB - Wilford Capt OC, / CSM, ?mbleton QMS, R J McGlashan Sgt, W R Duthie Sgt, Hardie Cpl, B Levy, Runner, G E May?lett? (see photo 7 on post 1)
114 Church Window (all women) - Audrey Raven, ? Raven, Mary B Heron, Rosie Raven, Eugenie Andrews, Mary B Heron, Rosie Raven
118 Wayfaring Men - ?, ?, K Saxon (owner of badge), Arthur /< Geo Hawkins, S Lawson
124 Here and There - C A C Bowlker Lt Col, L J Nutting, 3NZRB, J J Murray 2/Lt 1NZRB, H W Newman Lt NZE, Arthur Hoare, H G Gilbert, H Digby Smith, H B Patt?? Lt 2Bn NZRB, D Rae 2 Bn NZRB
130 Picture 'Revue Snapshots' - Prowse
132 Picture 'Nevill Holt' - G F Smith 1921
134 Poem 'Noel' - ?
135 Picture of Brutus - EOD
Rear Pen & ink drawing of Maori huts - Cal

I'll A) keep going back and trying to decipher some more names and B) photograph all 38 pages and put them on here. You never know, there could be another story or two in there. Please let me know if any of the names are VC winners, future Prime Ministers or relatives. It'll become a lot easier once I pull my finger out and actually photo them all.

Ian H

Last edited by ianh67military; 30-07-12 at 11:20 PM. Reason: edit: adding details of pictures already taken
Old 30-07-12, 04:15 AM

12.Pierce Hugo Freeth ,24358,Journalist Manawatu Daily Times.
16.Eceldonne Frederick Hiscocks 2/314 Driver NZFA
24.Gordon Hillyer 14908 ,14th Reinf,Canterbury Infantry
32.G.H Tarr
George Albert 11/1604 ?
George Edward 41373 ?
36.Lt Col George Mitchell 8/1173,D.S.O.M.I.D Otago Infantry or
Lt Col Gordon Ross Mitchell9/181 Otago Mounted Rifles D.S.O ,M.I.d (x2)

Major Earnest Charles Dovey 19204,headquarters Staff O.C.
Captain Micheal Joseph Lyons 2/271 Main body NZFA
Captain Robert Foster Johnston NZ Dental Corps
RQMS Cyrill Francis Scobell ,Otago Infantry .22405
50.Private Ray Pearce London,3/696.Medical Corps
Private Joeseph Bell McBride 12/1127
Headquarters Auckland Infantry
2nd Lt Donald Clivegriffiths Canterbury Infantry,K.I.A 23/7/1918
Serg Henry Thomas ?Doyle Battalion Quartermaster Sergeant,Wellington Infantry 25/21.He died when the RMS Leinster was sunk by a German Submarine in Dublin Bay

Sgt Fancis James Reynolds,32064.NZRB

54. Chaplin Captain Matthew Mullineux 43630.

58.Sgt Richard Leckie 8/1772 Otago Infantry
Captain John Lawson Turnbull 26/2
Corporal William Wagg NZRB 32263
Cpl John William Watt K.I.A .,Somme 14 April 1918
Gordon Jamieson Calman 39948
Lieutenant John william Andrews 3rd Battalion NZRB
CSM Edward Lefort 10/227 Main Body Wellington Infantry
QMS Herbert Reginald Hansen 24/2530 NZRB (ex Salvation army officer),P.O.W ,Meteren while serving in the entrenching battalion
Corporal Frederick George Young 14532 Wellington Infantry
92. Captain Alfred Bernstein 3/3038 NZMC
110.Capt George McLean Wilford 23/24
Sgt Ralph McGlashen 22733
Sgt William Robert 25/611
124.Leslie James Nutting 29698,3rd NZRB
Aurther Earnest Hoare 3/896 NZMC/NZRB
Harold Digby Smith 22620

Thats the easy part ,the rest need serious research

Last edited by pukman; 30-07-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 30-07-12, 11:30 PM

I starting to wonder if somebody on this forum has a time machine? Either that or a lifetime spent researching these very people in the NZRB? This is the most impressive piece of research it's been my luck to encounter.
I must say that reading through the bits of information provided in this thread I feel truly humbled by the sacrifice that these chaps and their families made. It brings a lump to my throat to see a signature, a name, a photo and the occasionally awful news of their final fate.
The medal that belonged to Ken's brother now has a hand written note in the box with all the details of his death.

Ian H
Old 01-08-12, 07:43 AM

All in a days work mate.We may have to get a second opinion on some of those signitures though .Some of the names don't compute with any of my lists/references.Time machine is in the garage being fixed.

Cheers Iain
Old 06-09-12, 10:14 PM

Default Captain John William Andrews

Greetings gentle people.

I'm an historical archaeologist, and I'm doing some work in Flanders. As it turns out, the daughter of Captain John W Andrews is a friend of mine, and she has asked me to discover any pertinent information about her father's service as I can find.

If you folks would be willing to help me suss out if the above listed LT J W Andrews is Captain Andrews, that would be smashing indeed.

Please feel free to contact me either here or personally,

Yours aye,

James
Old 07-09-12, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper13 View Post
Greetings gentle people.

I'm an historical archaeologist, and I'm doing some work in Flanders. As it turns out, the daughter of Captain John W Andrews is a friend of mine, and she has asked me to discover any pertinent information about her father's service as I can find.

If you folks would be willing to help me suss out if the above listed LT J W Andrews is Captain Andrews, that would be smashing indeed.

Please feel free to contact me either here or personally,

Yours aye,

James
Greetings James, I think it is most likely that LT J W Andrews is indeed Captain John William Andrews, you can start with the Auckland museum Cenotaph database for a quick over view of Andrews service record.
http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/datab...me_search=john

Or you can apply to the NZ archives for his complete service record.
http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/...?code=22270506

I am also thinking your friends father was also Mayor of Lower Hutt and held the rank of Major during WW2 as commander of the Hutt Battalion.
Old 18-09-12, 08:37 PM

Atilla

Thank you for the information! Starting to come together, and my friend is delighted.

Thank you for the quick response!