British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-09, 01:51 PM

Default Ops Wing pin

Hello I'm a new member and I'm researching the awards of a relative who served in the RAF in WWII. W. L Reinhart was a navigator with a total of 97 Operations. His belongings contained an Ops wing pin without any additional bars. I believe it would be proper to display a pin with either 1 or 2 bars along with his other medals. I'm seeking clarification on the proper version.
He completed his first tour of 30 Ops while a navigator on Hampdens. I believe this would have qualified him for the initial Ops Wing pin. After a short period acting as an instructor he returned to Operation duties this time assigned to 109 Squadron on Path Finder duties in Mosquitos. He survied an additional 67 Ops while on Pathfinders before being reassigned to other duties in Canada. I have read that those serving in the Pathfinders were expected to fly more than the normal 30 Ops to qualify for a tour (45 Ops ).
Can anyone advise which Pin version would be correct for his awards or otherwise advise how I can seek an authoritative determination.
Old 07-06-09, 11:16 PM

Default Refreshing Topic

Seeking response to initial post. Award understanding is confusing and the family has no information beyond the one-tour OPS pin in family posession. Trying to get official response from RAF but query unanswered. If anyone can direct me to an authority it would be appreciated
Thanks. Bob
Old 25-07-09, 04:35 AM

The Ops Wing is exclusively a Canadian award, designed by SL W. D. Dunbar and issued after August 13th 1943.....

Inital Ops Wing.....

Bomber Command (Including Pathfinders) 30 Sorties
Figher Command
1. Offence 200 Hours
2. Defence 400 Hours
3. Night Fighters 100 Hours or 18 Months
Army Co-Operation 200 Hours
Photo Recon. 200 Hours or 80 Sorties

Sterling Silver plated with Gold, Letter "O" with Wing on either side, 2 Screw posts soldered to reverse.

Bars awarded to represent additional full tours.....

Hope this is of some help.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer

Last edited by QSAMIKE; 25-07-09 at 01:03 PM. Reason: correct spelling