British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-14, 07:49 PM

Default This Pisses Me Off.......

I'm fairly certain that the initial issue of CADPAT Hi Vis rank slip-ons has not yet been completed. However, here we find a pair for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-new-hi...c930dcc&_uhb=1

Opinions???

Walt
Old 12-09-14, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Walt, This was bound to happen. On another thread there is a discussion about the DEU / high visibility rank. This rank insignia is apparently not even officially authorized for wear. Some people have access to the supply system and offer the badges to the public. It would be interesting to find out where they came from.
Officers' kit is often privately purchased and the suppliers also sell to the public. But, if I understand correctly, the cadpat fabric is controlled and not in the public domain. Many unanswered questions about these. Certainly, not correct that they are being offered for sale before they are even officially adopted.
This reminds me of the 1990's trade patch issue for the DEU and Garrison dress. Collectors had them before they were on issue to the soldiers entitled to wear them.
Old 12-09-14, 08:24 PM

I have a huge issue (no pun intended) with people making money from badges obtained through the supply system.
While I was in the CF, I was able to obtain some badges through supply or the tailors' shops. I have given away any spares so that I cannot be accused of anything unethical/illegal.
I have learned that in this hobby, greed generally trumps principles.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 12-09-14, 10:21 PM

Just so its clear, I do not have access to the supply system, the badges I have for sale were purchased by myself. these badges will eventually end up in the collectors market like every other badge that is available, a matter of timing upsets people?
Old 13-09-14, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Oliver, The link was to a completely different dealer, not you. The badges in that sale appear to be issue badges. It is understood that the badges you are offering are from a private concern.
Old 15-09-14, 03:03 PM

Anyone with a credit card can order these from private suppliers, CP gear and Penny's of Thunder bay. Both are registered suppliers to the CF.
Old 15-09-14, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, Yes that is correct, but the ones in the auction were issue ones, not private purchase.
Old 15-09-14, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
Anyone with a credit card can order these from private suppliers, CP gear and Penny's of Thunder bay. Both are registered suppliers to the CF.
No Mike. Someone has a source within the CAF supply system. Neither of the two companies you referred to are contracted suppliers to the CAF for the CADPAT High Visibility rank slip-ons. I called both Penny's & CP Gear to confirm. It would, however, be interesting to know where they are manufactured.

Walt
Old 15-09-14, 08:56 PM

Default Slip ons

I thought they looked the same, but I guess the thread is a little darker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP gear.jpg (39.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 15-09-14, 09:01 PM

As I noted in another thread, I have yet to be issued the new high-visibility insignia as well as the formation patches for my DEU. I am not bent out of shape over it, but I share the dismay of others that private concerns are profiting by stealing from a supply system intended to provide for soldiers in uniform. I was advised a couple of decades ago through correspondence with a LCol in the U.S. Army that it is never wise to "dip your pen in the company's ink" and I've always taken it to heart. I *do* "have access" to the supply system and take those responsibilities seriously - meaning responsibility not just to the soldiers in the unit, but also to my C.O. who counts on his RQMS and staff to keep the books straight for him, and also our collective responsibility to the citizens who fund our activities, be they through public funds or non-public funds.

I suppose the best thing one can say about the situation is that at the least there are those outside the CF who take an interest in the uniforms and traditions of the services. At least, I would hope so. I would have a hard time believing anyone is getting rich in trading in current issue badges and insignia and therefore have to believe there is another explanation.
Old 16-09-14, 07:21 PM

I have my high-vis name tags, but still the subdued rank. I have heard from the supply folks that the high vis rank is inbound.
These unfinished slip-ons for sale may be factory seconds from the supplier to the CF that some enterprising worker has smuggled out?
Old 16-09-14, 08:32 PM

I remember getting issued slip ons like this back in the solid green days and was told to sew them up to wear.
Old 16-09-14, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Mike, Yes that is correct, but the ones in the auction were issue ones, not private purchase.
I wonder how you would be able to prove that fact?

Dave.
Old 16-09-14, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

A couple of ways. The private purchase ones are a different embroidery style and the Cadpat material is patented and controlled. So, if a private concern is making them they would be using a material that is not the official cadpat, and there are differences in the textiles.