British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-08-14, 07:26 PM

Default Changes to the Chaplain Corps badges?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-commu...haplaincy.page

There is a chaplain branch badge graphic - does anyone know if this is a new cap badge or just serves as the generic "logo" instead of the different variants.
Old 26-08-14, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting observation. The description indicates Primary Chaplain Branch Badge. Is there going to be a generic badge overall, and then faith based badges? Also interesting to note that while many of the other CF branches have reverted to their so-called traditional names (Royal Canadian Medical Services???), the Chaplains have not.
Old 26-08-14, 10:08 PM

Default New Chaplain Badge

I have heard that a new Chaplain Badge is being adapted that will replace the three versions now in use. Of all of the branches within the Canadian Military, the Chaplains have changed the most with complete changes to their insignia and branch march-past.
Old 30-08-14, 05:48 PM

I'm surprised they are still called the chaplain corps...there seems to be a wave of political correctness in that branch...
Old 30-08-14, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

A chaplain is not necessarilly Christain. Chaplains, by definition, may represent one of many faiths. The term can be applied to various Christian denominations, the Jewish faith, Muslim or another religion. The term would appear to be the most politically correct one to use.
Old 14-09-14, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootemup View Post
I'm surprised they are still called the chaplain corps...there seems to be a wave of political correctness in that branch...
I'm surprised they're not abolished, and replaced by trained counsellors and psychiatrists. It's 2014, not 1514, the taxpayer should not be paying for religious proselytisers within any civil service organisation, particularly when half of more of the military are no longer religious.
Old 14-09-14, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathanaich View Post
I'm surprised they're not abolished, and replaced by trained counsellors and psychiatrists. It's 2014, not 1514, the taxpayer should not be paying for religious proselytisers within any civil service organisation, particularly when half of more of the military are no longer religious.
I recently saw a WW1 comment that said "there is no atheist in a foxhole". This was quoted by a crew member of a downed bomber in WW2. They were in a life raft for weeks. He said that even more so, there is no atheist in a life raft, and he had been an atheist at the start of WW2. Chaplains always do good work and help the morale of the troops, so leave them be. Regards Andrew
Old 14-09-14, 04:08 PM

Default Chaplain Branch

"I'm surprised they're not abolished, and replaced by trained counsellors and psychiatrists. It's 2014, not 1514, the taxpayer should not be paying for religious proselytisers within any civil service organisation, particularly when half of more of the military are no longer religious."

That was an interestingly misinformed statement, considering most Chaplains now perform those functions.
Old 15-09-14, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathanaich View Post
Huum, well I am not sure about Canadian social workers but I'd hazard a guess that you wouldn't find a British social worker within 100 miles of the sharp end, let alone sharing the dangers with the warriors.

I always considered chaplains of any faith a real asset to my soldiers welfare - and a huge comfort personally in times of stress although i am not personally a church goer.

Eddie
Old 15-09-14, 01:54 PM

Here is the reply from a friend who's AOE is Chaplains, when I asked him about it, I am sure that he would not mind me sharing.....

This badge is the primary chaplain branch insignia but no one will be wearing it on a uniform. It is more like a crest or letterhead device that covers all denominations in a politically correct manner. The branch has gone to faith group-specific cap badges - Christian, Jewish, Muslim. They haven't gone to the Hindus or other denominations that you now see in the US chaplain services. Probably because of the very few, if any, number of individuals in the CF that would declare those as their faith.

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 15-09-14, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, The reply would suggest that the three faith badges currently in use will continue?
It is not unusual to have a crest type badge that differs from the actual regimental badges. Going through the badge files at archives, one finds many instances where the letterhead badge is different from the actual badge.
Old 15-09-14, 02:30 PM

Good Morning Bill......

Yes that is my understanding as well..... Also mentioned in the reply is that this crest has been used for nearly a year already.....

Now is it correct to call it a Badge or a Crest??????

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Mike, The reply would suggest that the three faith badges currently in use will continue?
It is not unusual to have a crest type badge that differs from the actual regimental badges. Going through the badge files at archives, one finds many instances where the letterhead badge is different from the actual badge.
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 17-09-14, 03:14 AM

In my opinion, there seems to be a common misconception that members of the Chaplain Corps are "bible thumpers", whose mandate is to stuff their religion down one's throat. This is so far from being realistic. Among other functions that they perform within their church/synagogue/temple, these men and women DO offer comfort to our troops when no one else can. Always an "open door policy.....I'm here if you need me". Many chaplains are well qualified in psychiatry & counselling.

It's not about religion. It's about FAITH. We don't live in a perfect world, and not everyone will recognize or appreciate the services that chaplains provide. In my opinion, in a chaotic situation or time of crisis, if a chaplain can help a fellow service person through a time of crisis & help them keep FAITH, it's money well spent.

In the immortal words of the famous Irish comedian Dave Allen,

"GOOD NIGHT, AND MAY YOUR GOD GO WITH YOU."

Walt
Old 25-09-14, 10:18 PM

The "no atheists in foxholes" claim is typical of the bigotry that atheists still encounter from religionists. It's not true and it's meant to be demeaning of others, which sums up religion rather well . . .

All the apology for the Chaplain branch on here is why it persists - the religious do not see how inappropriate the public imposition of something that should be private is, because the think the ends (their religion being pushed on everyone) justify the means (misuse of tax money for the purposes of propagandising). These are some of the few badges that I definitely have no interest of adding to my collection; but it's a sad indictiment of human superstition that they still exist in the 21st Century.
Old 25-09-14, 11:10 PM

Default Just Let it Go

You have expressed your disinterest and misinformation on the Chaplain Branch, which is fine. But please don't keep this post running (especially after nearly 10 days since the last post) just so that you can continue to blather on about your lack of any religious affiliation and distain for Chaplains. With all due respect, we get it - now move on.