British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-12, 12:45 PM

Default Canadian airborne forces insignia

Hi guys, before I sell my special forces and airborne insignia collection, I would like them to get the once over for them to see if genuine. I'm starting with Osons.

Cheers,

Gaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0684.jpg (61.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0685.jpg (54.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 22-09-12, 02:40 PM

Looks good to me, the top right black winged one I believe is for US or German para course exchange. The gold wings with white maple leaf, it looks like a black background, I thought these were a dark green background?
Old 22-09-12, 06:34 PM

The top black wings is not Canadian issue and was not sold in the Airborne kitshop. It's possible that it's a reproduction that has been made for Americans that have earned their Canadian jump wings. The gold wings are not official issue as the black background was not authorized for wear on the DEU. They can't be mess kit wings either as they are too big. The Osons patch on the left was worn on the jump smock. The Osons patch in the centre was worn on DEU. The metal Osons was never an issued item. This has fake written, stamped, and tattooed all over it.
Old 22-09-12, 06:53 PM

I have to correct my previous post. I checked my wings (still sewn on both my tan and green DEUs) and the background is black.
Old 23-09-12, 06:40 AM

Some more items...I think what what has been said in other threads, the all brass badge with a broken slider is a wrong'un?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0686.JPG (34.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.JPG (33.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 23-09-12, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

All are reproductions except the Canadian Airborne Regiment cap badge.
Old 23-09-12, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsigs View Post
The metal Osons was never an issued item. This has fake written, stamped, and tattooed all over it.
I can't speak to the originality of the metal Osons badge, but it is in the style of the badge worn by the SSF pipe band so in this regard it was indeed an issue item.
Old 24-09-12, 04:29 PM

The metal winged dagger is for the airborne band
Old 24-09-12, 08:46 PM

The Airborne didn't have a band.
Old 24-09-12, 11:45 PM

The 'Osons" was not an Airborne badge but rather the formation badge for the Special Service Force (SSF). The SSF did have a pipe band and they wore this metal badge on their glengarries.
Clive
Old 25-09-12, 08:58 AM

Many thanks for your comments everyone.

Gaz
Old 22-08-14, 06:43 PM

Default I can attest to the authenticity of those cap badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
The 'Osons" was not an Airborne badge but rather the formation badge for the Special Service Force (SSF). The SSF did have a pipe band and they wore this metal badge on their glengarries.
Clive
I took the Infantry Section Commanders Course at Petawawa in the late spring/early summer of 1995 - just as The Canadian Airborne Regiment was being disbanded after Somalia. I can verify that the SSF Pipes and Drums wore these anodised cap badges, because they played for our graduation parade. The level of their musicianship was, er, not high. As a piper and a collector of militaria I went over and talked to them after we were dismissed. I don't have a photo of them - back then everyone didn't carry a camera with them everywhere! - but include one of me on my course.

I'm in the centre of the back row. Also in this photo are: Gavin Duffy (on my left shoulder), 30th RCA, son of CTV reporter and Senator Mike Duffy; Josh Rostad (left end, back row), PWOR, son of CBC television Wayne Rostad; and Phil Carpenter (third from left, third row), BWofC, Montreal Gazette free-lance photographer and reporter (and member of my wedding party!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISCC 1995 Course Photo.jpg (101.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 22-08-14, 07:08 PM

Off topic but I am curious why an Artilleryman was on an I(Infantry)SCC?
Old 22-08-14, 07:42 PM

Short answer: A Jnr Lead Crse, Cbt Lead Crse, and Inf Sec Cmdr Crse were all supposed to running at Petawawa in spring 1995, so people from several units were sent there. When we all arrived, we were all on an ISCC together. The non-infantry guys were all a little shocked. However, the staff made sure that instead of just beasting us, they taught us too. You'll see Log cap badges in the photo as well as the RCA.

Long Answer: I was a piper with The Cdn Scot Regt (PM), joined in 1989. Played in the P&D until summer 1990. At that point I did GMT (Gen Mil Trng) at Vernon, along with people from all trades. I think it was an 8 week course. WO Rod Gilmour (SHofC, RWestR) was the Crse WO, MCpl Ken Haines (RMtnR) was 3 Sect Cmdr. Because I already knew how to march, rank, iron uniforms, etc, the staff all thought I was "a cadet". I didn't top the course (5th), but was recommended for officer trng. I said no thanks to Lt Nigel Watts (15th Fld Regt, RCA) as I wanted to be a piper. However, I liked the course, and asked my regt if I could take the BTT (Basic Trades Trng) Infantry course that August, also at Vernon (3 or 4 weeks long). They of course encouraged that: back then, many reserve inf pipers were Inf qualified. I was trade R071 Musician, but attended plenty of unit exercises, as did others in our P&D. Often we formed the En Force.

In 1992 I auditioned for a position as a piper in the Band of the Ceremonial Guard. That was the first year CG recruited 9 pipers, after experimenting with the concept half way through the summer of 1991 (when Steve Kelly and Nathan Roberts from my regiment joined them mid-way). I was in CG for 1992, 1993, and 1994. In spring 1994 the Drum Major at CG asked me if I would attend a "Junior Leaders Course" in Petawawa that spring to become a MCpl in the CG Band, at CG's expense. My regiment of course approved that, and I was stoked. I figured I was going to a JLC . . . of course, when I got there, I was on an ISCC, which was much tougher. Everyone else who thought they were attending a JLC was in the same situation, lumped onto an ISCC. I finished 5th on that course too.

The next year, 1996, the Pipers of the Ceremonial Guard finally got a uniform; from 1991 to 1995 they all wore the full dress of their home regiment. I have posted the two CG Piper cap badges elsewhere on this site: one is Gov Gen Foot Grd style, and one is Cdn Gren Grd style. I made four summers worth of pay and met my wife at CG, so I have some fond memories!
Old 22-08-14, 08:52 PM

Thanks. Probably didn't have enough people show up to run either course and it would be useless for the infantrymen to take a JLC so guess what non-infantry types?