British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-10-16, 07:15 PM

Very sad news indeed.
Old 18-10-16, 08:36 AM

Yes, very sad indeed. I also exchanged a few posts with him and found him to be a perfect gentleman. RIP Gordon.
Old 18-10-16, 12:38 PM

Sad indeed to hear of this. Gordon was a regular contributor to the cavalry section and I for one will miss his friendly advice.
Old 18-10-16, 03:15 PM

Really sorry to read this, Gordon was a lovely man and pointed me in the direction of some nice badges at fairs, a few times we nattered away about his time as a tankie and it will always stay with me the way he spoke about it with such enthusiasm. Condolences to his family.

Alli
Old 18-10-16, 04:34 PM

So saddened to hear the terrible news about Gordon, i will raise a glass to absent friends. R.I.P. 1st Tankie and my condolences to his friends and family. john
Old 18-10-16, 06:06 PM

Fear Naught !! RiP Gordon
Old 18-10-16, 06:14 PM
Administrator

[The two threads of condolences have been merged]

Rest in peace Gordon.
Old 18-10-16, 11:10 PM
Banned

Condolences to the family, very sorry to hear of his passing.

RIP

FMT600
Old 19-10-16, 07:57 AM

Lest We Forget - my condolences to his family, have enjoyed his posts and enthusiasm for badge collection, cheers Dean.
Old 20-10-16, 10:56 AM

Default Many thanks from daughter, Helen

I clicked on Dad's Badge forum link knowing that Rob had said that he had posted on here to tell people of my father's passing.

I am so touched that so many people have taken the time to reply and to offer their condolences to myself and my brother, Robin.

Dad was, as many of you have mentioned, passionate about the British army from collecting the militaria, to promoting it as a career, researching its history and keeping up with its current movements and developments. I know that Dad spent many a happy hour on this forum.

Dad wanted his collection sold after his death so that other collectors could have the joy of knowing that they had particular items in their collection. Most of it will be on sale at Bosley's at some point in the future and I hope that if you end up with any of it you will get as much pleasure from it as Dad did. I have kept a few pieces for myself but most are too large.

Growing up, my father used to take me into the dining room where his helmets were in display cabinets. He would point to one in particular and say "Helen, if ever there's a fire, forget your mother and save the tarleton!"

Regards
Helen
Old 20-10-16, 11:22 AM

I met Gordon at Stratford on a couple of occasions and I can say with all honesty that he was one of the most genuine people I have had the pleasure to make acquaintance with. I am sorry to read this thread.

Condolences to you, Helen, and the rest of the family.

Phil
Old 22-10-16, 07:31 AM

Stratford is this weekend comming, and Gordon was normally there so I know I'll be thinking of him! As has already been said he always had encouagement and advice for you, it was nice to see his "1st Tankie" avatar on the thread - thank you for your posting and condolences to you all!
I just wish I had asked him many more questions! but you don't as you believe they are always going to be around to answer any you have at a later time! Wish you all well and thanks again for posting am sure others where as happy to see Gordons Avatar!! Billy
Old 29-11-16, 10:31 AM
QSAKSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
I clicked on Dad's Badge forum link knowing that Rob had said that he had posted on here to tell people of my father's passing.

He would point to one in particular and say "Helen, if ever there's a fire, forget your mother and save the tarleton!"

Regards
Helen
I was extremely shocked to hear about Gordon passing away, he was the Chairman of the East Midlands Branch of the MHS. A great gentleman with a great dry sense of humour he never failed to put a smile on my face. I remember being on holiday with him and his lovely wife Sheila in the Caribbean, on the beach he still wore his Cavalry Twill trousers, Regimental Tie and Straw Trilby Hat with its regimental coloured band. We will all miss him at the MHS Branch Meetings with all that in depth knowledge he shared with us all. Helen, look after that Tarleton it was his pride and joy.
RIP Gordon. Mel.