British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-11, 11:51 PM

Default Unknown 17th lancer motto can you help

I have sourced a motto from my old regiment and would like someone to tell me a little more info about it if they can, it's my profile pic and it has two threaded bars on the back about 6mm wide and 20 mm in length the motto is 7 inches long and two wide
Old 01-11-11, 12:44 AM

Hi Mrrossi.

I'll have a stab at it being horse harness decoration, possibly on the martingale.

Regards
Brian
Old 01-11-11, 12:55 AM

Yep !!
I agree "a martingale badge" and a nice one too.

The 2 bars to the rear are for securing to a leather strap, by rivets or by nuts on threads. (I believe) Or it could be a pouch badge ? (a bit large i think)

Cheers, ..... oh and welcome to the forum mrrossi739

Lots of info to be given on this forum, I have a martingale badge in my album.

The FBK
Old 01-11-11, 06:36 PM

Default 17th Lancer Horse furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrossi739 View Post
I have sourced a motto from my old regiment and would like someone to tell me a little more info about it if they can, it's my profile pic and it has two threaded bars on the back about 6mm wide and 20 mm in length the motto is 7 inches long and two wide
Hi mrrossi

I think your "profile" badge is probably carried somewhere by the horse rather than worn anywhere by the man. I'm sure it is too big for a pouch. It fits the usual profile for horse furniture, ie bit boss or breast badge, but I'm surprised at the overall length and not entirely sure I know what is going on at the back. Is it possible to photograph or scan it back and front and then I feel sure someone will come up with a more definitive response?
In the meantime I attach a scan of a 9th Lancer bit boss (8.4cms long) together with the next size up which is that of the crupper badge (10.4 cms long). (I think that is what it's called; it's that badge which sits on a leather pad, similar to the breast badge, on the leather strap which runs from the rear of the saddle and around the horse's tail and helps to prevent the saddle sliding forward. You will have to forgive an old tankie if I've got this horribly wrong but I feel sure somebody with more knowledge of the mysteries of equatation will put us right.)

I hope somebody comes up with an explanation.

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9L Bit Boss and Crupper.jpg (65.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 1stTankie; 01-11-11 at 06:42 PM. Reason: left out dimensions!
Old 04-11-11, 10:28 PM

Default 17th Lancer Horse Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrossi739 View Post
Hi mrrossi

Please see my previous post, I'm still trying to help. Any chance that you can post photographs of the front and rear of your "profile" badge?

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 05-11-11, 12:03 PM
LYPAO Boff

Its a Victorian martingle breastplate motto, as shown in the middle below

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 05-11-11, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Its a Victorian martingle breastplate motto, as shown in the middle below
H Griff

I have always understood that the breast badge (martingale) was the same size as the bit boss. mrrossi states his profile badge is 7 inches long, considerably bigger. Am I in error? Could the left hand badge in your post possibly be the crupper badge? My 9th Lancer crupper badge is only 4 1/8 inches. Where else would an even bigger one be carried?

Best wishes

Gordon

Last edited by 1stTankie; 05-11-11 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-11-11, 01:38 PM
LYPAO Boff

Gordon

The 2 inch circular ear boss is smaller than the breastplate badge. The crupper badge would be the same size as the breast plate or smaller I would have thought, considering its position? The breastplate badge under the martingale could be variable in size as that surface area is large. See example of both below:-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breastCrupper.jpg (48.1 KB, 19 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 07-11-11, 03:36 PM

Default Horse Furniture Sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Gordon

The 2 inch circular ear boss is smaller than the breastplate badge. The crupper badge would be the same size as the breast plate or smaller I would have thought, considering its position? The breastplate badge under the martingale could be variable in size as that surface area is large. See example of both below:-
Hi Griff

We've entered an area outside my comfort zone! All I can reasonably comment on are those badges in my collection of which all the bit bosses and breast badges are the same size, give or take a mm. The 9th Lancer crupper badge is noticeably larger, as shown in the post above. I have yet to see a breast/martingale badge which is bigger than the bit boss however that is not to say they don't exist.

Somewhere on the Forum we have an album or collection of horse furniture posted by members. I will find that and see if light is shed!

Will come back but, in the meantime, if any member can shed a little light.......

mrrossi: if you could post a photograph, back and front, of your profile badge please I'm sure that would help.

Best wishes

Gordon

Tags
17th, cavalry, lancers, motto, skull