British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-21, 02:54 AM
alan alfred

Got the 2010 now

Paid £24.

Thanks guys foryour help
Old 22-01-21, 03:08 AM
alan alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Hi Alan , I'll dig out my "spares" box at the weekend and see if I have any . Do you have the 2 small undated ones with the leaf ? (one has leaf on left , the other leaf on right)

The early dates do occasionally pop up on eBay in 'job lots' , do not pay the silly money some sellers are asking.

Thanks for the advice. No I am looking for the smaller undated pins and the tiny stud with leaf.
Old 22-01-21, 11:24 PM

Default Three badges for the price of one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan alfred View Post
Hi guys,

I am an old Coldstreamer, in lock down and bored. I have been reading the Poppy appeal thread for some time and this year decided to collect the standard poppy badges from circ 2005.

I have the small stud but not the one with the leaf.

I am looking for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,

If anyone has a spare I would be gratefull.

I am going to mount them on x4 Poppy appeal white cards (already ordered).

Please if you have a spare you can live without please let me know the price. I will donate an extra £5 per badge to the Poppy appeal.

Many thanks.
Thought that you might like to see this "set". I have posted this in the past but decided to post again following the member's mention of the Coldstreamers.

The BL badge and the Ypres League (silver) are both the large size examples.

Wouldn't it be nice to know who owned them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg threeinone.jpg (43.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg threeinone1.jpg (37.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 23-01-21, 02:49 AM
alan alfred

I have the one on the left.

I think it was a put together.

Nice though.
Old 23-01-21, 06:08 AM

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your reply. Oh yes, definitely an "assemblage" but a nice little bit of folk art. The good news is that you don't have to worry about losing one or two badges out of three.

Lose them all at the same time....
Old 23-01-21, 09:19 AM

Default Vintage poppies

Hi

Been going through some boxes, as we all should from time to time. Although I found myself easily distracted, I did locate these.

Not sure about the origin of the two slightly shapeless faded poppies but I'm told that the "Vetcraft" one is from Canada and made by disabled veterans. Happy to learn more or stand corrected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poppiesasstd.jpg (35.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg poppiesasstd2.jpg (41.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 23-01-21, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I'm told that the "Vetcraft" one is from Canada and made by disabled veterans.
From Canadian Legion magazine :

"In 1922, the federal Department of Soldiers’ Civil Re-Establishment came to an arrangement with Vetcraft Industries Inc. to produce the poppies for the 1922 poppy campaign. Vetcraft employed disabled war veterans to manufacture various crafts."

Can't pin down a date for the one you have , only info I found states :

"The rear of the poppy shown above bears the ‘VETCRAFT’ trademark, together with the emblem of the ‘Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League’. It is deduced that this particular style of poppy dates to no earlier than 1927 and no later than 1951".

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-01-21, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Hi Alan , I'll dig out my "spares" box at the weekend and see if I have any . Do you have the 2 small undated ones with the leaf ? (one has leaf on left , the other leaf on right)

The early dates do occasionally pop up on eBay in 'job lots' , do not pay the silly money some sellers are asking.
Have checked and I do have a 2007 one but unfortunately I'm not prepared to move it on at the moment . I don't really sell badges , I'd rather trade/swap them for ones I need.

There is a 2006 one on eBay at the moment with a 'buy it now' price of £195.00 but the seller made a 'private offer' of £160.00 !

There is also a 2007 one for £119.99 but it is complete rubbish and the wrong size.

When I joined this forum 2 years ago there were three of us all in the same postition , looking for the early dated poppies to complete our collections. We all have now got complete sets and without paying ridiculous prices.

The pins are still out there and if I spot any I'll give you a heads up.

PS. Once you start you get addicted and want some of the 'variations' !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poppy.jpg (117.5 KB, 18 views)

Old 23-01-21, 02:20 PM
alan alfred

Thanks Mike - like your collection, especially the different leaf positions. How do you date the undated ones?
Old 23-01-21, 10:07 PM

Quote:
From Canadian Legion magazine :

"In 1922, the federal Department of Soldiers’ Civil Re-Establishment came to an arrangement with Vetcraft Industries Inc. to produce the poppies for the 1922 poppy campaign. Vetcraft employed disabled war veterans to manufacture various crafts."

Can't pin down a date for the one you have , only info I found states :

"The rear of the poppy shown above bears the ‘VETCRAFT’ trademark, together with the emblem of the ‘Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League’. It is deduced that this particular style of poppy dates to no earlier than 1927 and no later than 1951".

Hi Mike

Again, you have amazed me (and us!) with your ability to hunt down facts. I think that the poppy came from Canada (via that worldwide market..) so that would all tie in nicely.

I have really been looking through stuff with my new-found (and not exactly desired) leisure time thanks to Covid.

As a result, I've found a lot of things that had been "hidden in plain sight" so you can probably expect some more poppies and other objects on a semi-regular basis!
Old 24-01-21, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan alfred View Post
Thanks Mike - like your collection, especially the different leaf positions. How do you date the undated ones?
stud - 2005 based on info from other collectors / Poppy Appeal Organisers.

mini 11/11/11 & undated - No proof of date but as leaf is at 2 o'clock possibly pre 2011 as that was first year leaf was moved to other side.
NB. These 2 are not 'official' RBL issue but may be "authorised" items produced by branches.

small 2 o'clock leaf - No proof of date but as leaf is at 2 o'clock possibly 2006 - 2010 because in 2011 leaf was moved to other side.

small 10 o'clock leaf - From 2011 onward , this is the version branches/PAO's get. (I refer to these as 'low leaf' as bottom of leaf is where petals join).

small 11 o'clock leaf - From 2011 onwards , this is the version sold on-line by PoppyShop . ('high leaf' as the bottom of the leaf is midway up the top petal).

Large 10/11 o'clock leaf - From 2014 , the versions same as the small ones.

Old 24-01-21, 06:34 PM
alan alfred

Do your two o'clock small undated have a matrix back or plain semi shiny?

Also I received a large, medium and small undated from the poppy shop. The large having a clip pin and two o'clock leaf.

Have you seen the 1913/2013?

The bags are the same and so are the staples underx50 mag.

They have cp stamped on the back may be care plus?
Old 24-01-21, 06:37 PM
alan alfred

I got the 1913/2013 from a poppy seller in Exeter.

He was wearing it along with others. He has been selling for BL for 20 plus years and it was genuine
Old 24-01-21, 10:13 PM

I have been a Poppy Appeal Organiser (PAO) since 2000 and have never seen a 1913/2013 Poppy Pin via the Poppy Appeal nor does it have any significance I know of.

Where your seller got this pin I do not know but it was not via the Poppy Warehouse or PAO the small 11 O'clock was issued in that year.

CP produced Poppy Pins for the Poppy Appeal for a number of years and did not always mark them.
I have a 2014 maked CP and a 2015 marked CaringPlus
There is also a 2016 bright red variation example marked CaringPlus

I have Poppy Pins among my collection which I know are not genuine Poppy Appeal issue but not a 1913/2013 example.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 25-01-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 25-01-21, 01:46 AM
alan alfred

Hi. I understand what you are saying. My point was:
I bought them the same place I bought my other genuine poppies.
The supplier only sold the standard poppies at Remembrance.
The badges are the same colour, shape and have cp on the back
Are in identical bags, with identical folded and even the staples are cut the same and of the same material.
Why would someone go to such extreme lengths when a similar badge would sell without breaking the law.
He told me local areas sometimes sourced badges in small lots.
I honestly don't know for certain if they are genuine any more than I do for the other badges I have collected.
Like you found different leaf positions I have now 8 undated all different. Some have different markings on their backs but look identical from the front looking through a x50 loop. To counterfeit the exact couples etc would not be necessary.
I too have several fakes. They have the wrong sizes, colours, bags, staples or just look plain wrong.