British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-15, 12:52 AM

Default Hi-Vis Rank

Once the door on the traditional rank was reopened, it was only a matter of time.

Old 20-02-15, 11:28 AM

I wasn't aware that the door to traditional rank was ever closed mate. That's obviously a drum major's rank insignia and I saw it used frequently in my time, which was quite recent, along with that of pipe major, bugle major and trumpet major. As far as I'm aware none of these ranks were every done away with. Not even in combat dress.

Can you educate and dethicken me on the subject?
Old 20-02-15, 03:51 PM

Is it Canadian?
Old 20-02-15, 04:29 PM

Ed, where did you get that? It is not from the CH of O and we are the only ones who wear "Camerons" Winnipeg wears "Cameron". We did not order these nor wear them.

Colin
Old 20-02-15, 06:16 PM

Given that it is a combination of rank and appointment, are there drum major slides for other ranks?

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 20-02-15, 06:19 PM

Nothing new, the DM and Pipe Major in Calgary were wearing those in the OD subdued version, long before the "Hi Vis" rank was introduced.

http://www.cpgear.com/store/slipons_...or_epaulet.htm
Old 20-02-15, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Given that it is a combination of rank and appointment, are there drum major slides for other ranks?

Phil
No, there are only drum major slides for the drum majors. It's a sgt's appointment, normally, but it indicates that he's a sarn't major. In theory it can be a s/sgt or a WO2 but in my experience you'd only find the higher ranks for that appointment in the Bde of Guards. That's only my experience though, there are bound to be exceptions to that.
Old 21-02-15, 01:30 PM

What the problem here is that the Regiment that this slip-on is supposedly for does not use it. That makes it a fake. How many people will be conned by this and what does it say about future collecting?
To be clear: I belong to the Regt in question and am 2IC of Regimental Stores, the guys who buy kit for the Regt. We DID NOT buy these and do not wear them.
Old 21-02-15, 09:05 PM

Default Hi-Vis rank...

Colin:
Is there any chance that this insignia is being worn by the QOCHC in Winnipeg?
Also, is there any indication that there is a nato stock number for this S/O?
If so, then they are available to be ordered in the system- an altogether separate question might be if either Cameron unit decides to permit wearing of the insignia.
If no nato stock number can be found legitimizing this S/O, then I agree, the insignia must be a bogus/fantasy piece.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 21-02-15, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

As with the arid pattern and TW pattern cadpat, there are vendors eager to meet the demand. Any number of makers are putting out badges that are being snapped up by the collectors' market without so much as checking on the authenticity.
Thanks for clarifying the status of this slip-on Colin. This is the best the Forum has to offer. Actual information about the badge that is not available generally.
Old 21-02-15, 10:17 PM

Camerons Ottawa have always worn "Camerons" and Winnipeg wears "Cameron"

Colin
Old 22-02-15, 05:02 AM

Default Hi-Vis rank....

Colin17:
Thanks for this clarification. So definately not a CHofO worn item!
Would be nice to see if someone could research and see if such a S/O has a listed NSN, or not. As mentioned, if no NSN, then definately a fantasy piece.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 22-02-15, 02:45 PM

Default Fantasy or Private Purchase

John, I do not agree with the statement that if a piece of insignia does not have a NSN then it is a fantasy piece. The majority of the patches worn in Afghanistan had no NSN, does that mean they are all fantasy pieces? I believe these fall under the term Theatre Made.

Perhaps items should be classified as Private Purchase or Fantasy as fantasy implies that the items is completely made up and was never used/issued.

As well it was mentioned earlier on in this thread, CP Gear can provide custom insignia orders for units and individuals. Not surprisingly some of these items are already being worn on the CADPAT uniform. In fact CP Gear has a long history of making insignia for the CAF and insignia from this company was worn on the OG107 Combat uniform. Does this mean that they are all fantasy pieces?
Old 22-02-15, 03:40 PM

A good example of privately purchased would be the new RCCS officer rank slip-ons for shirts. They are not available from clothing stores, only by purchase from the kit shop.
Would we call those "fantasy pieces"?

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 22-02-15, 04:25 PM

I agree with Ed, We have guys in the unit with the new Cadpat shirt with the Velcro rank. Its not issued yet ( at least to the reserves) so they have to buy it themselves and wear it. I classify it as private purchase. As long as it is authorized from the unit, I see that as being legit.

Colin