British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-08, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default Prince Rupert Regiment MG

One of the rarest Canadian WW2 badges. Sought after, but seldom seen. There are many copies of this badge around, varying in quality, but the illustrated example is an authentic badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prince rupert cap ob.jpg (27.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 20-01-08, 06:36 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Yes identical to the o e in my collection Bill, Nice badge.

Ray C
Old 20-01-08, 07:00 PM

Yes... I've been looking for one of these for a long time... thanks for posting
Old 20-01-08, 07:31 PM

A Rare bird! Nice to see an original for a change!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 22-01-08, 03:41 PM

Smile Bill Ellis

Hi Bill, What are the unique indications that would show this badge as a correct piece?
Old 22-01-08, 04:52 PM

I was wondering if anyone has a resin version of this badge. I saw one at the last MCC of C show. The back looked like the Garrison Battalion and ICPB badges. The ones I saw were not for sale as they were too "rare". A collector (who I trust) poo-pooed them and all resin Garrison Battalion badges based on new research that has yet to be published. Does anyone else know anything about this issue?

Greg
Old 22-01-08, 09:34 PM

Smile

Buy the books!!.....In the case of Canadian badges, there are several authors who would "poo-poo" your trusted collector hehehe! Mazeas,Brooker,Cross,Stewart and British authors Kipling and King. I tend to lean toward those who are willing to put their experience in print and sign their name to it.
Old 23-01-08, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Characteristics

Hello Bill et al.,
The Prince Rupert Regt MG badges have not been documented as well as the 1 CACR badges. Many of the reproductions are obvious fakes, and can be easily determined by casting rather than stamped production, poor quality strikings, unusual lugs, and no overlay. (Badges without the overlay exist, but in my opinion are either repro's, broken or unfinished.) The repros that were around about 20 years ago have mostly disappeared and are not easily found. They may be place holders in collections or may be held in collections as actual examples. And, some of these were good copies and will cause confusion when offered to the market again.
One characteristic I would look for on an authentic example is the Birks hallmark on the reverse. Ed Denby sealed such a badge at his auction years ago and certified it as authentic. I am not even sure how many manufacturers made the badge, but with the scarcity, only one run seems likely. I believe this badge is even scarcer than the Garrison Battalion. (Mazeas indicates that the Garrison Battalion plastic badge is post 1945. If I understand that notation correctly, it would indicate that Mazeas is indicating the plastic badge is reproduction/fantasy. The Garrison Battalion was long before disbanded.)
Perhaps this string would be a good place to list the characteristics of the correct Prince Rupert badge for collectors?
And I have attached an image of one of the most scarce pieces of Canadian army cloth. A khaki slip-on to the Prince Rupert Regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RUPERT-3 resized.JPG (90.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg prince rup mg regt.jpg (78.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 23-01-08, 01:35 AM

Smile Bgpipes

My badge has a "Birks" maker mark as well, I have seen them with a larger "R" maker mark. I have been told that this mark indicates that it was made by Roden Bros. but I have never seen provenance of that allegation.
Old 23-01-08, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Bill, You jogged my memory (and it does need exercise). I too remember hearing that there were badges with an "R" hallmark, for RODEN. I have never seen documentation either.
Old 24-01-08, 03:34 PM

Smile

A slip-on to the Prince Rupert Regiment MG, YOW!!....my many thanks for that pic, I had never seen one before, or any cloth to the regiment for that matter.
Old 13-05-08, 04:06 PM

Default Prince Rupert MG Insignia

Hi guys, been away for awhile and focused on work. I thought I post my Prince Rupert Machine Gun badge for all to see. It's marked Birks on the back and comes from an old collection. My question is this. Mazeas shows crossed Machine Guns as the collars. Are these in bronze, brass or silver? Was a fabric shoulder title ever used? I've heard rumours that this badge is actually a officers badge, the ORs wearing General Service badges. Is this true?

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRMG6.jpg (54.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by GregN; 13-05-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 13-05-08, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Greg, The Prince Rupert Regiment badge has been discussed in other threads, this one having some more relevant information.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...=prince+rupert

I have also heard the rumour that the badge was for officer's, but I can not confirm that assertion. The number of badges around would tend to support that contention.
The only know cloth title is the slip-on illustrated in the other thread.
Old 13-05-08, 06:12 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Wink

Here is mine , You can see the big R on the back side on the MG barrel. No fasteners for overlay Seems to be silver soldered. Front side seems to be coloured & not just raw copper, maybe a baked paint or something , Many of the badges were like this the FGH for example. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRMG.jpg (8.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg PCMR.jpg (42.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PCM.jpg (43.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 13-05-08, 06:20 PM

Default Prince Rupert Regiment (MG) Collars

The authorised collar badges were published in GENERAL ORDERS when the cap badge was authorised (I have a copy of the entry which I will post later.) as smaller sizes of the cap badge. There was a photograph on the Service Publications web site (http://www.servicepub.com/prince-rupert-offr.html) that showed an officer in service dress wearing a field service cap. He is wearing First War medals, Prince Rupert cap badge(?) and the crossed machine gun collars. According to General Orders these were not the regulation collar badges, however, keep in mind that the Prince Rupert Regiment was designated RESERVE. Remember - there is what was authorised and what was actually worn. Mazeas also shows the MG/CANADA as the shoulder titles. I obtained one of these in a lot of First War Canadian Machine Gun Corps badges and I still see them occasionally...too often for me to believe that they are strictly Prince Rupert shoulders.

GO 246/June 1943
BADGES-PRINCE RUPERT REGIMENT (M.G.)
1. Badges as described hereunder are hereby authorized for the Prince Rupert Regiment (M.G.).
2. Officers:
Cap Badge
Crossed machine guns and scroll with regimental title in white metal; Maple leaf in bronze Superimposed upon a maple leaf, crossed machine guns and below a scroll inscribed “PRINCE RUPERT REGT. (M.G.)”.
Extreme height .. .. .. 1 5/8 inches
Extreme width .. .. .. 1 5/8 inches

Collar Badge

As for cap badge.
Extreme height .. .. .. 1 1/8 inches
Extreme width .. .. .. 1 1/8 inches
3. Other Ranks. Badges of the same design, dimensions and metals as for officers.
(Effective 24th May, 1943.)

As always, I invite any thoughts.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 14-05-08 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Adding General Order.