British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-10, 03:28 PM

Default Cap badge CANADA -WW1?

Hi,
I have this Canada maple leaf badge which appears to be damaged with shrapnel! Is this a general service badge or a particular regimental badge?
Cheers,
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap badge canada 2.jpg (64.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg cap badge canada rear.jpg (37.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 25-09-10, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Rick, The badge in question is the General List badge for the CEF and it was also used in the Second World War or when a specific regimental badge was not available.
Old 25-09-10, 06:21 PM

Hi Bill
Was'nt the Second World War one a slightly larger leaf with a smaller crown?
Old 25-09-10, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Neil, The pattern you mention plus this pattern and other similar general list badges were all used. In both the First World War and the Second World War, there were shortages of regimental or battalion badges (and some corps) and the gs badges were issued until the appropriate badges were obtained.
Old 26-09-10, 03:13 PM
Banned

The bottom is a good link has many Canadian CEF as WWII Ect.

To what I've seen at the Regiments display on Both War Badges the
CEF was smaller.

Badges of the Canadian Expeditionary Force of WW1 (CEF) Bns 1 - 25

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...ef_001-025.htm

CEF Badge the maple leaf was smaller the Post GW & WWII looks different and bigger of what I've seen,
whoever I could be wrong

Canadian Army troops sent overseas in World War Two wore a special cap badge to distinguish
Canada's soldiers in Asia North Africa/Middle-East, and Europe.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/118...57176904rzMETG

Canadian Overseas Badge WWII.

Go to this link has many types, you'll see yours WWII overseas Badge.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/187520398pieade

Last edited by Recce; 26-09-10 at 11:47 PM.
Old 26-09-10, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Just a word about the digger site. It is an interesting collection of images etc, but there are many errors and omissions. Treat the site with due care.
Recce, there were several patterns of gs cap badges in use before the First World War, during that war, in the inter-war period and during the Second World War. The Ellis pattern (for lack of a better label) is the most common. There are a couple of patterns that were likely made in the Second World War, but there were stocks of the earlier pattern available. By the middle of WW2 few gs badges were being issued, as most corps and units had their own. There are a few images, one in particular that I remember of a Film & Photo fellow wearing the gs pattern badge. It dates from late in the war.
The pattern that you linked to in the previous message was a First World War pattern. It is the same as the one in my grandfather's badges, and he did not serve in the Second World War. The badges on the booker link all appear to be FWW patterns.
Old 26-09-10, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Just a word about the digger site. It is an interesting collection of images etc, but there are many errors and omissions. Treat the site with due care.
Recce, there were several patterns of gs cap badges in use before the First World War, during that war, in the inter-war period and during the Second World War. The Ellis pattern (for lack of a better label) is the most common. There are a couple of patterns that were likely made in the Second World War, but there were stocks of the earlier pattern available. By the middle of WW2 few gs badges were being issued, as most corps and units had their own. There are a few images, one in particular that I remember of a Film & Photo fellow wearing the gs pattern badge. It dates from late in the war.
The pattern that you linked to in the previous message was a First World War pattern. It is the same as the one in my grandfather's badges, and he did not serve in the Second World War. The badges on the booker link all appear to be FWW patterns.

The Digger site was the only one that had the Picture available to attach of the Great War Badge, since I can't cut and paste Ici,
and by rules I have to provide the link to the picture, Didn't know. Many sites have Mistakes on Badges ect and Especially War History.

What I've personally seen is GW had a pattern, the one I provided the Picture and Two different patterns all Overseas Badges
in the Second World War. All look different, as theres also the variation of this badges, whoever they have the Regiment numbers.

This is the later version of WWII that replaced the one posted on the second Link
which is the same one the OP Posted.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/118...57176904vgEmJG

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/118...57176904rzMETG

CEF Badges

http://www.odakim.net/category/18&p=2&q=

These are WWII pattern look at the Lugs looks like Great War.

WW2 General List Cap badge & Collar set (Pattern #2)
Canadian military

Below, you may view the scans of this WW2 General List Maple Leaf O/R brass cap badge & collar set.

http://www.odakim.net/items/941&p=4

http://www.odakim.net/items/940&p=4

This badge was worn with matching collars by Canadian soldiers during
WW2 who were awaiting assignment to a particular regiment.

CEF 3 different types in the Great War.

WWI General List Collar. It is made of copper, with both original lugs, horizontally positioned, and in good order.
these badges were used by the CEF during training, and as transitional badges for troops awaiting assignment to battalions.

http://www.odakim.net/items/865&p=18

WWI General List Collar (Lot #2)
CEF and Corps Badges (Canadian WW1) 1914

http://www.odakim.net/items/866&p=18

WWI General List cap Badge
CEF and Corps Badges (Canadian WW1) 1914

http://www.odakim.net/items/871&p=18

Therefore his is Great War Pattern by the above links posted.

Last edited by Recce; 26-09-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 26-09-10, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Recce, Not sure of your point? The two links that you posted were gen service badges seen in the First World War and also worn in the Second World War. The image from Shoulder to Shoulder is of CEF and militia (pre-1914) Badges.
During the First World War, most Canadian units did not have cap badges when initially mobilized. They used the general service badge until a unit badge was acquired.
Old 27-09-10, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Recce, Not sure of your point? The two links that you posted were gen service badges seen in the First World War and also worn in the Second World War. The image from Shoulder to Shoulder is of CEF and militia (pre-1914) Badges.
During the First World War, most Canadian units did not have cap badges when initially mobilized. They used the general service badge until a unit badge was acquired.
Yes this is true many Regiments didn't have Regimental Cap badges and they continued using these badges that were used by CEF and WWII during training, and as transitional badges for troops awaiting assignment to battalions. Also seen in there use in The Great War, as The Good War. I was just showing links to pictures of 3 different types worn in CEF during The Great War and Two worn in "The Unnecessary War."

The first Two links on two web sites are classified as Second World War Badges.

Last edited by Recce; 27-09-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 28-09-10, 03:25 PM

Default General List "CANADA" Badge

Somewhere in this site there is a real good post on the Gen List badge. If I remember correctly, there are 6 main shapes/forms (could be 7). Starting with the Boar War Gen List the badges fo up to the 50's. In my collection I have at least one of every type that has a manufacture date on it. All that this date does is tell you "around" when it was made -not when it was worn. as Bill has stated - if QM had it, it was issued - so the badge that was worn in WW1 was also worn in WW11.
Old 22-06-14, 08:45 PM

Default My CEF General Issue badge collection

For what it's worth, here is my collection of CEF General Service cap badges (including some of my "GS" collars and shoulder titles).

Number 1 is far and away the most common type. Number 2 is a pin back, gilt, and obviously officer version very similar to 1. Number 3 and 4 are similar designs to Number 1, but better metal and nicer designs. Number 5 and 6 are bronze and yellow versions of each other. Number 7 is quite fine and pickled. I've left a space at 8 for future finds. Number 9 is the version that some people insist is the Canadian Naval Air Service from WWI, though I doubt this since there are a fair number of them around. Number 10 is the one that Mazeas put on the back of his 1920-52 Guide, and which both he and Fred Tripp claim was the WWII General Service badge (I have this one with lugs and with slider). Number 11 and 12 are bronze and yellow metal versions of each other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collect - Mil - Can - 1914-8 Other 1 Gvt Issue.jpg (51.8 KB, 48 views)