British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-08-10, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Black Watch piper tunic... outrageous price?

The vendors on ebay never cease to amaze me. This lot for a Black Watch piper tunic and kit is the most recent example of unrealistic pricing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 22-08-10, 02:43 PM

Hackle on the right side of the helmet ???.....Despatch rider upside down armband......metal piper's badges....Italian and French medals......UN Korea medal and Defence medal.....badly hand-sewn BW and Canada titles.....and finally equipped with an officer's webbing set....
As our distinguished fellow members would say........I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole (in the USA, a ten foot pole...)
But hey, that's just me.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 22-08-10, 03:15 PM

Default Black Watch piper tunic?

Gentlemen,
The audacity of the price is only exceeded by the outlandish conglomeration purported to be a ‘uniform’. ‘Pathetic’ is the word that immediately comes to mind. As a resident of Arizona, and a serious student of military history, I sincerely apologize for this abomination supposedly representing a pipe-major of the The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada. The seller would be well advised to, at the very least, glance through the book, The Black Watch The Black Watch Photographic Archive, The Black Watch Regimental Trustees, Tempus Publishing Ltd., 2000, Stroud, Gloucestershire. Believe it or not there are still some of us ‘Colonials’ (particularly of Scottish ancestry) who can show a modicum of respect for the proud military heritage of Scotland throughout the former Commonwealth and Dominions .
Jim
Liberated Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37.jpg (24.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 39.jpg (25.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 22-08-10 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Correct name of regiment
Old 22-08-10, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jim, One clarification, he is representing this as a Canadian Black Watch.
Old 22-08-10, 03:49 PM
Banned

I think your being to Kind Mr. Bill in your choice of words, Holy Molly what utter Nonsence, I going to send him a MSG.
Thank you Mr Bill for posting this. I Though maybe $1000.00US or Two, I clicked on the link my mouth dropped Shocked
into chagrin, as I uttered some Potty mouth words that's not in my nature.

Great Scots I don't believe thats a Second World War Hackle? I talked to many at the Regiment and advised, they would
take of an 1" around from the top of them making them much smaller, confirmed Fact.

A Hackle worn on the right side for 1st Bn Black Watch (RHC) sacrilege and blasphemy. The Seller deserves a Regimental Flogging,
an insult to 13Batt 1st Canadian Division, God Bless their "Dead Game" Hearts.

Only 13th Batt wore the Hackle on the right side, and that's after
they Muddied the Water.

"Sir Frederick Fisher V.C."

Lest We Forget.

Last edited by Recce; 22-08-10 at 04:07 PM.
Old 22-08-10, 03:51 PM

Default Uniform Set For Sale

The whole uniform is completley made-up as the BD Tunic and the shirt underneath are both post-WWII patterns. This along with all of the other bits of insignia, medals and web equipment is best purchased (for far less than what is being asked) for the pieces and not as an accurate grouping.
Old 22-08-10, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Jim, One clarification, he is representing this as a Canadian Black Watch.
The Seller is in the US, and has only sold 3 Items. The Hackle looks Canadian, but not from the Second World War.
Whoever I would need a better picture to confirm this, The shoulder Title says Canada.

I think he put this together
Old 22-08-10, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
The whole uniform is completley made-up as the BD Tunic and the shirt underneath are both post-WWII patterns. This along with all of the other bits of insignia, medals and web equipment is best purchased (for far less than what is being asked) for the pieces and not as an accurate grouping.

I just saw your Post before I posted my last MSG, I took a closer look.

You're 110% Right. Some have no shame when it comes to making a $.

P.S. Where's my beloved Capt. Adam H. ? I'm sure hill snap if he sees this, Lol.

Last edited by Recce; 22-08-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 22-08-10, 04:12 PM

Default Black Watch piper tunic?

Hi Bill,
You are absolutely correct. My sincere apologies, and due deference to The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada. In this day and age when we are so prone to have politically correct hyphenated nationalities, I for one still think of Scots as Scots the world over, and I contend that seller is insulting everyone of us.
Jim

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 22-08-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 22-08-10, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jim, Agreed indeed. The seller is very audacious in his description and pricing.
Old 22-08-10, 04:58 PM

If people are going to put these things together they should at least know what to add. How many ww2 Canadian groups are out there with just a Defense Medal should be at least a CVSM and bar as well as the 39-45 War Medal as a minimum.

Stephen
Old 22-08-10, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S. Regt. View Post
If people are going to put these things together they should at least know what to add. Stephen
What, you don't think a court-mounted medal, a couple of swing mounts, a ribbon bar for the Voluntary Service medal but no actual medal, and a couple of foreign ones scattered around the right breast isn't kosher??? Dang, there goes MY whole collection

The reason the Webley isn't included is so the vendor can use it to try and hold up someone with his/her next listing, perhaps?
Old 22-08-10, 10:34 PM

Hello - At the end of the day the item will make what the item will make ! Or it may not sell ! About thirty years ago, a seller was fined £150.00 in a Scottish Sheriff's Court for selling cigar butts stated to have been discarded by Winston Churchill - but not until he had sold over 60 of them - all spurious. I blame the idiots who buy ! His fine was a tiny percentage of the money he had made. And so the practice continues ........!!
Old 22-08-10, 11:10 PM
Banned

I have sent an @ to the seller asking for a picture of the Hackle I know the difference between a Great War, WWII ,
Korean hackle to a 70s 80s and 90s.

I've also sent an @ to Mr. Cal at our Museum therefore will know if It's Black Watch, and what year.

The shoulder Title as the hackle is, what year is the question plus the Brass RHC are missing from the epaulets.

The point is did a member of The Black Watch wear this uniform?
Old 22-08-10, 11:48 PM

Default Uniform Listing

You are making way too much out of this made-up uniform. The whole thing looks like it has been cobbled together from all manner of assorted items and is not worth the effort of informing the owner what it isn't nor getting to worked up about the various pieces. I would not go wasting museum staff time on this.