British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-19, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
For charts of the regulars, illustrated with badges: The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.

At the top you can link to the charts of the four composing regiments.

HTH.
And here are the Volunteer/Territorial/Reserve ones: The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

Note that not all links function. I have only provided those charts that I thought you are looking for.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 04-07-19, 05:46 PM

Yes Leigh the dates where a typo.

Wmr RHB - Those time lines / Regt trees are really good. The officers Lanc Brigade badge is much nicer than the OR's staybright. Unfortunately I have a price cap for badges which this badge tends exceed lol.
Old 04-07-19, 06:28 PM

Leigh - The Lancastrian badge I have is the 58 one, although it is an OR one, not the nicer officer enameled one.

Wmr RHB - Those Regimental charts are really good and so informative. Are they only available for this Regiment or are there other? If so could you please provide a link for the home page.

Simon - I now have a WM fleur de lys units way, so I will put this on hold till next week.

Cheers
Tom
Old 04-07-19, 07:44 PM

Excellent

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 05-07-19, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther1 View Post
Wmr RHB - Those Regimental charts are really good and so informative. Are they only available for this Regiment or are there other? If so could you please provide a link for the home page.
Hm, thanks for the compliments.

It starts at The Regiments of:.

What is there at the moment is parts of my local web site (only accessible from the home LAN). The parts copied "in the open" are, like the ones I offered above, because it looked opportune for a discussion here.

When people show interest (as you do), I will try to make at least the "Great Britain" part complete.

I will post here when I think everything is there.

BTW any comments about the contents, like typing errors, dates wrong, complete nonsense, etc. will be taken as contributions to help and improve the charts.

Old 05-07-19, 08:15 AM

Well, it seems that the whole of the "Great Britain" part has arrived.

Maybe some explanation.

The charts are about lineage, not about (cap) badges. The badge images are only illustrations to make to charts more gaudy. OTOH the images may show to advantage how regiments succeeded at a merger in combining their badges into a new design.

From the starter page of a country (like "Great Britain"), first land at a page that differs between Infantry, Cavalry, etc. Choosing there you get to a list of links going through history. They show either a list of units (regiments) at a particular moment (like at the start of the Great War), or show a period of time where you can see (from left to right) how units evolved in relation with other units in an overview.
These listings also serve as indices to the individual lineage charts.

The individual lineage charts run there time line vertical. Off chart connections are again links to the other charts.

Designations/titles are as much as possible the complete, unabridged, official ones. Sometimes secondary designations are left out because of space constraints.

As I was not alive and kicking since the raising of the first regiment mentioned, the information is gathered from other sources. Partly books, partly the internet. But the (mis)interpretation of those sources and and typing errors and the like are all mine.

I am not claiming any rights on these pages, feel free to copy them any way you like. When you want a copy of the whole and have no idea how to do that (there are tools like HTTrack), please contact me by PM.

BTW, apart from the now complete "Great Britain" section, also the "Nederland" section is complete (complete meaning: the same as I have them locally, not as in: complete and nothing to improve any more). I could add "British India, India, Pakistan", "Canada", "New Zealand" when people show interest. ("Australia" is also there, but Autralia is a difficult subject and I am lacking a book like Festberg's).

Old 11-07-19, 06:52 PM

The WM Manchester badge has arrived and I have now put the badges in a frame, hopefully now this is a good representation of the various regiments that have evolved into the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. I will look to add the VBof the Manchester Regiment in the future.
Cheers
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190711_155859.jpg (78.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-07-19, 07:18 PM

Nice display indeed.

Old 11-07-19, 07:46 PM

[QUOTE=KLR;482582]When I was a boy I loyally collected badges of the county of Lancashire. I was born and bought up in Lancashire - but sadly, in 1974 my county became the ghastly 'Merseyside'.QUOTE )

Not so! The County Palatine of Lancashire still legally exists (according to the Government).

Dave.
Old 11-07-19, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther1 View Post
The WM Manchester badge has arrived and I have now put the badges in a frame, hopefully now this is a good representation of the various regiments that have evolved into the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. I will look to add the VBof the Manchester Regiment in the future.
Cheers
Tom
Looks good.

However, DO NOT, buy any Manchester Regiment VB badges off ebay. Every one I ever see is a fake of one sort or another.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 13-07-19, 05:16 PM

Ironically the Duke of Lancaster's handbook talks about the 59th Nottinghamshire Regt wearing the Fleur de Lys too ! (back in the day)
Old 14-07-19, 07:11 AM

Tom, I'm not sure what time period you are displaying. You have in post 37 three Manchester Regt badges but only one of the King's.
That badge is Pattern 4362A/1896 worn up to 1926
this was superseded by Pattern 10042/1926
and that was superseded by Pattern 14312/1950 - which was made obsolete in 1963 (though the 5th TA Bn and the LUOTC wore an AA version into the 1970s)

I could probably dig up the official Pattern numbers for the other units if needed

Last edited by KLR; 14-07-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 14-07-19, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrikes-ok View Post
Ironically the Duke of Lancaster's handbook talks about the 59th Nottinghamshire Regt wearing the Fleur de Lys too ! (back in the day)

The Duke of Lancasters handbook does not say in what manner the 59th (2nd Notts) displayed the 'fleur de lys' emblem 'first adopted by them as early as the Napoleonic Wars.' It did not seem to be important enough to feature on belt plates or cap badges worn at various points in the next sixty years or so.

The emblem allegedly derived from the arms of Nottinghamshire, although it does not appear in the crest of either Notts county or city.

The 2nd East Lancs did, though, sport a 'fleurs de lys' as an unofficial battalion symbol, for sports etc., following the Childers union of 30th and 59th.

Scratches head.

Last edited by jf42; 15-07-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 15-07-19, 07:24 AM

KLR - Thanks for the information, do you have any images of these badges or know the main differences to look for? I will lookout for them and add them at a later date.
Cheers
Tom