British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-08, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Larry, Is that book post war?
Old 29-11-08, 02:56 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

This is the kind of thread I like to see, This is my favourite Regiment so much the better, the badge that David pictured looks like the coronet & bomb were struck or poured at the same time ,there dosen't seem to be any separation between the two. (Jo I did mean RIF) A little while ago there was a thread about facts & opinions, So the above cannot be all facts but some may & this is the interesting part of this forum,This helps us in gathering possibilites,Facts are hard to get & sometimes hard to prove.,we may have them & not know it. Keep it up guys. Ray
Old 29-11-08, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Ray, Right on. I was not up on the Irish Fusiliers at all. Not one of the badges I had spent time researching. Here I've learned a ton of stuff in a few hours.
This is the great strength of this forum. Knowledge is very important, and here it is.
Old 29-11-08, 04:31 PM

Larry's book has dates for 1961. This is giving very important descriptions for the Irish Fusiliers after they were converted to infantry in 1958 - They were 65th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA from 1946 until they amalgamated with 120th Independent Field Battery, RCA and converted to infantry in 1958.
These badges were changed slightly from the 1937 badges.
Old 29-11-08, 06:53 PM

Default Ref Book

The book (if you can call it that) is all QC references. I posted this because it quoted the GO referred to in the discussion. Thought it might be of interest.
The book is a hand made - series of phot copies 8.5 x 11 in a ACCO Press black cover. It has over 30 regiments/Corps badge designs in it, each showing dimensions, construction (one piece-two piece ...) profile, metal type, mount type, variations (Officer/WO1, OR) and each one has the auth order and signature of the CO, Directing Officer and approving Officer.
It is a neat reference

Larry
Old 11-12-08, 05:22 PM

OK lads very late to this topic for sure. BUT. from what I see in the first photos in the topic. The Irish Regiment of Canada badges are for all intents and purposes, the same, just different manufactures. The left badge appears to be a Scully made badge, and the right one appears to be a Birks manufactured badge. The IrRC ORs badges can be found either marked Scully, Birks, or no maker mark. In my opinion, the badge on the right is simply a Birks badge missing the overlay. Nothing more.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

Tags
irish fusiliers of canada, irish regiment of canada, newfoundland regiment