British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-21, 04:57 AM

Default What is This Patch

Can anybody tell me what this patch is (see the red arrow)? I am suspecting it is some kind of Scottish patch, but in my search I came up empty handed.

Thanks for any help,

Terry
Old 23-02-21, 05:29 AM

The winged caduceus staff is the same as the RAF medical collar badge, so maybe an RAF medic?
Old 23-02-21, 08:06 AM

I also think RAF , this thread on GMIC forum may interest you :

Anyone interested in Medical insignia collecting??

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-02-21, 08:25 AM

Default What is This Patch

The cross shown has nothing to do with Scotland. It is known as the 'Cross of Life' and is increasingly replacing the Geneva Red Cross worn by medics. It is not only worn by Armed Forces medics but also by civilian paramedics.

Re the staff and serpent symbol. There is often confusion between the Caduceus and the Rod of Asclepius. Caduceus is a symbol with a short staff entwined by two serpents , sometimes surmounted by wings while the Rod of Asclepius is the one with a single snake. Both have their origins in ancient Greek mythology.

The Caduceus has actually got nothing to do with medicine and healing at all. It is actually a symbol of professionalism and craft. The Rod of Asclepius IS a symbol of healing. The two have been confused throughout history!

I can't tell you anything about the badge itself as I'm a Royal Navy collector. But I've already seen a similar design being worn by Medical Technicians in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

Pete
Old 23-02-21, 09:36 AM

Saw the photo on another site , it is labeled :

RAF TMW DARTS personnel :

Royal Air Force

Tactical Medical Wing

Deployable Aeromedical Response Team Squadron.

ROYAL AIR FORCE - TACTICAL MEDICAL WING (TMW) BADGES

Old 23-02-21, 09:46 AM

Another one for you Terry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MERT RAF.jpg (38.8 KB, 63 views)

Old 23-02-21, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
The Caduceus has actually got nothing to do with medicine and healing at all. It is actually a symbol of professionalism and craft.
The Caduceus is also a symbol of commerce and trade leading to it's use on the Customs insignia of a number of countries, particularly in eastern Europe.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 23-02-21, 10:21 AM

Terry, your pictured badge is the official badge for a Paramedic. Seee the attached pic.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paramedic 1.jpg (52.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 23-02-21, 11:02 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you , my guesses were based on Google so it's better to have proper information.

Old 23-02-21, 04:33 PM

Thank you all VERY much! This is truly EXCELLENT information, and yep several new badges to hunt down! Actually, I need both patches shown in my picture in the opening post!!!

Terry
Old 06-09-22, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
The cross shown has nothing to do with Scotland. It is known as the 'Cross of Life' and is increasingly replacing the Geneva Red Cross worn by medics. It is not only worn by Armed Forces medics but also by civilian paramedics.

Re the staff and serpent symbol. There is often confusion between the Caduceus and the Rod of Asclepius. Caduceus is a symbol with a short staff entwined by two serpents , sometimes surmounted by wings while the Rod of Asclepius is the one with a single snake. Both have their origins in ancient Greek mythology.

The Caduceus has actually got nothing to do with medicine and healing at all. It is actually a symbol of professionalism and craft. The Rod of Asclepius IS a symbol of healing. The two have been confused throughout history!

I can't tell you anything about the badge itself as I'm a Royal Navy collector. But I've already seen a similar design being worn by Medical Technicians in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

Pete
Bit of an old post, but yes the star of life is now worn by RFA Medical Technicians! it replaced the Red Cross badge when they were re-designated from being Medical Assistants in about 2003ish, however the RN still continue to use the red cross for its Medical Assistants and a smaller version for qualified, registered nurses. The red cross is still very much used on medics brassards and arm bands and on flags, as it is a recognised medical symbol under the Geneva convention and affords protection (supposedly!) The rod of Asclepius in laurel leaves is now used by the army as a paramedic qualification badge, but was previously worn by Regimental Medical Assistants (of corps and regiments outside the RAMC) worn on the upper arm, and by Unit First Aid Instructors on the lower arm/cuff, Combat Medical Technicians of the RAMC wore no trade or qualification badge, and were/are not paramedics, that title being legally protected by the NHS for people who have qualified for a paramedical science degree and are professionally registered as paramedics, which the army started recruiting a couple of years ago, the RAF started recruiting a decade ago and the RN still do not yet recruit as a trade! I qualified as a Regimental Medical Assistant in the Infantry at the then RAMC depot, Keogh Barracks in 1990, and as a Royal Fleet Auxiliary Petty Officer Medical Technician in 2005 (having completed the full RN Medical Assistants course) also at Keogh Barracks, which had become the tri service Defence Medical Services Training Center.

Regards

Tony
Old 06-09-22, 09:24 PM

Tony,

Some excellent info there!!! Many thnaks,

Terry