British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-21, 10:55 PM

Default Rush's Lancers

apologies if this falls out of the remit of the forum, but can anyone show an image of a troopers forage cap with insignia as worn by Rush's Lancers (6th Pennsylvania Cavalry) during the Civil War?

Many thanks,

Andrew
Old 06-01-21, 04:36 AM

The Company of Military Historians describes their uniform as being standard US cavalry, with the exception that they only had one lace and button on the collar. The troopers wore a crossed saber badge on the crown of their kepi and the officers wore a smaller version of the crossed sabers badge on the front of their kepi.

This may help, and will also show their kepi.

http://www.rushslancers.com/

If this isn't the detail you're looking for let me know and I'll dig a little further.

Terry
Old 06-01-21, 04:50 AM

Default Rush's Lancers

Andrew,

Captain Robert W. Mitchell, Company E Note crossed lances on kepi.jpg

Captain Robert W. Mitchell,Company E,
Note crossed lances on front of kepi.

It appears this might be early on and from other photos it appears that the normal cavalry sabres were worn on top with a number 6 above, as the lances look fragile.

A good site to view, www.rushslancers.com

Hope this helps,

Clay
Old 07-01-21, 05:47 PM

Thank you both for your reply.

I have had a little time to pursue the link that you both supplied and it is most informative.

Just one more question. In the link at the bottom of the page there is a picture of a trooper who is wearing a forage cap that has yellow piping around the crown. Is this particular to the 6th Pennsylvania or was it used by other regiments? I have seen this illustration before and the badge is indeed crossed sabres with a "B" above and a "6" below. Would this be correct?

Again many thanks for your time,

Andrew
Old 07-01-21, 08:14 PM

Andrew, I would not think the yellow band around he top of the kepi was unique to the regiment. Yellow was the standard cavalry color at the time, and still is. Also, many photographs from the time are the type that will show yellow as black so probably often goes unnoticed.

Terry
Old 12-01-21, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Andrew, I would not think the yellow band around he top of the kepi was unique to the regiment. Yellow was the standard cavalry color at the time, and still is. Also, many photographs from the time are the type that will show yellow as black so probably often goes unnoticed.

Terry
Again, thank you